Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Going it alone, without family support page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There are more than a few of use in Boston, but I haven't been tracking the Hartford primals very well.

fpsjosh01 is offline Senior Member
    What is your location, anyway? You never know if there might be a potential workout buddy on this very forum.
    I just joined haha! I didn't get a chance to update my profile. It's there now. New Britain, CT.

And congrats on your nine-month-old! Raising a baby is the most primal thing of all and good fathers are in chronically short supply.
    Thank you! I love her dearly (even if it lowers my testosterone levels.)

I was kidding about her "provoking" you ;P ... sort of.
    Haha, I love my wife, don't get me wrong! We "provoke" each other all the time.

Oh, I'm from Portugal, by the way
    Wow that's really awesome!

Although it probably doesn't feel like it right now, because you feel like you have found the silver bullet, you are early in your journey. Five weeks is a very short period of time. Not saying you won't have continued success, but you should be patient with yourself and the loved ones around you.
    This is probably one of the most powerful pieces of advice anyone has ever given me. My asperger's syndrome is tough on people because I fixate so easily. Maybe getting lots of fish oil might help. Who knows. Cutting Angry Birds before I go to bed helps me sleep better (my 9 month old doesn't!)

Particularly with prior diagnosis of depression and autism. Depression never goes away completely, we just try keep it locked in the closet where it belongs. Trust me, if your success continues and the results undeniably visible to all, eventually your wife and family will be right there with you.
    Oh god don't I know this. I've sadly learned to keep the bacon gospel to myself, though I'm not unhappy about answering people's questions. You'd figure, after finding out she is alergic to Gluten (almost like everyone else,) my wife would just convert, but who knows anyway.

If he wants spaghetti, I don't give him a hard time about the pasta and he doesn't bug me about my spaghetti squash.
    Will have to give it a try on days where my sugar intake is very low.

Hopefully I can keep up with you guys and respond to your comments! You all made my day today ^_^. Thank you very much.

Shameless bump, It's been a few days.

I have more stuff to talk about. My wife gets morning sick with the smell of bacon/pig meat and I have to go eat outside. It's gotten to the point where I confuse the people at work because I'm microwaving the bacon I love at work. This is the same for eggs (without bringing them to work) and all the other raw fats I've been eating.

She also spent the last night telling me that asthma is only hereditary and wheat gluten/milk allergies have nothing to do with them... EVER.

Of course later that night, my asthma acted up, who knows why...

It's just really annoying being "proven wrong" when I actually provide arguments that make sense, or use basic logic to describe my thoughts.

Does anyone else experience anything like this as well?
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 09-23-2011 at 08:05 AM.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    Well, your wife is pregnant and you have to be supportive. The smell of burgers cooking used to make me hurl. Small price to pay and I'm glad to hear you're being a supportive husband. Kudos.

And on the other point - sometimes you have to agree to disagree and choose your battles.

sometimes you have to agree to disagree and choose your battles.
    Will do. If by choosing my battles, you mean avoiding them altogether, that will keep my wife very happy .

I think I gave up last night anyway. Even after saying people can TRY to cut gluten/milk/veggie oil to see if that works for them, she still said "LA LA LA I'M NOT LISTENING." Then she went back to drinking some coke.

I think she's even gone so far as to say MDA is a cult. (which I reminded her by her own logic, so is weight watchers!)

Her thought processes are sometimes even logical, because MDA would definitely push their products over all others because of marketing reasons. Though I haven't purchased a single one myself. They're just way too expensive.

It's just really annoying being "proven wrong" when I actually provide arguments that make sense, or use basic logic to describe my thoughts.
    The look on everyone's face when I tell them 50% of my calories are from fat is worth the whole experience.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Josh, you have a 9-month old and your wife is pregnant? You're a brave couple! Well done!

Once you've planted the seed (sorry) of the Primal Blueprint in your wife's brain, I don't think there's much more you can do besides set a good example. She will have to connect the dots on her own.

Case in point: My wife was always healthy, raised without sugar and disciplined by an early career as a ballerina. Incredibly, she married me even though I was broke, fat, and had horrible lifestyle habits. Honestly, I can't believe she put up with me for all those years. But she never tried to change me, and she even indulged my poor habits to an extent. After several years, the importance of nutrition finally penetrated my thick skull thanks to MDA, and I changed all on my own. If she had tried to browbeat me into being healthy, or to defeat me with arguments, I don't think it would have worked at all. I simply wasn't ready for it.

Here's hoping your wife makes a similar journey of her own, but more quickly than I did.

Honestly, I can't believe she put up with me for all those years.
    This. quote.

Case in point: My wife was always healthy, raised without sugar and disciplined by an early career as a ballerina. Incredibly, she married me even though I was broke, fat, and had horrible lifestyle habits. Honestly, I can't believe she put up with me for all those years. But she never tried to change me, and she even indulged my poor habits to an extent. After several years, the importance of nutrition finally penetrated my thick skull thanks to MDA, and I changed all on my own. If she had tried to browbeat me into being healthy, or to defeat me with arguments, I don't think it would have worked at all. I simply wasn't ready for it.
    Maybe I'm looking at this wrong. Not to mention I'm pretty thickheaded myself. Maybe I should just worry about it a little less.

The one thing I can't stand is when my mother in law feeds my daughter Cheerios. It's so disgusting!

Here's hoping your wife knocks some sense into you, and you learn to stop letting your ego get the best of you!
    Fix'd.
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 09-25-2011 at 06:31 AM.

me2
    me2 is offline Senior Member
    Certainly you could make a good argument for gluten free right? Then you can have your wife's pasta as a part of your 20%. The 20% is so nice, I mean let's thing about it: assume you are eating 3 meals a day for 7 days a week that is 21 meals & 20% of that is 4.2. You can cheat on 4.2 meals/wk. My only advice is to really watch the sugar and keep your cheats gluten free. Maybe you could double dog dare your wife to go primal?
    Notebook of a Nutrition Nerd

‘THE FOOD YOU EAT CAN BE THE SAFEST AND MOST POWERFUL FORM OF MEDICINE OR THE SLOWEST RELEASING POISON' - Dr Ann Wigmore.

Certainly you could make a good argument for gluten free right? Then you can have your wife's pasta as a part of your 20%. The 20% is so nice, I mean let's thing about it: assume you are eating 3 meals a day for 7 days a week that is 21 meals & 20% of that is 4.2. You can cheat on 4.2 meals/wk. My only advice is to really watch the sugar and keep your cheats gluten free. Maybe you could double dog dare your wife to go primal?
    Maybe. We will see. I just double dog dared my wife to prevent my daughter from eating cheerios for a week. If she's better behaved and less screaming, I can take her off grains for good.

One step at a time.

In the meantime, I'm not cheating, I'm sick of cheating. If people don't like the way I eat, so be it.

I'm sick of being told I'm better off frying stuff in soybean oil.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Super Shameless BUMP.

Hit another snag today. My wife's pregnancy doctor told her that her testosterone levels are raised because of all the "MEAT" she's been eating. In reality, she's been eating McDonalds burgers and such.

Honestly, I've given up bacon right now (probably for the better) because the smell makes my wife miserable. I can't fry onions in coconut oil, because she's allergic. Above all, I have to go to the gym every morning all by myself, and I just get heckled by my family because I'm the crazy one.

Her doctor told her to tell me this: "I don't know what ancestors you believe in, but my ancestors invented tortellini, and they should be on your plate more often."

Fuck this, I'll just keep doing what I've been doing. If anything, it makes me more pumped about staying fit. I lost another 4 pounds in 2 weeks and I'm never going back.

If I die of a heart attack, then I'll die happy.

God it's frustrating.
    Last edited by fpsjosh01; 10-07-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    Blag: The FPSJosh01 Ego Experience
    Follow me on google+
    Superraw: the Autism Buster blag
    "Don't spread the word, spread the butter"

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast