Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Biscuits page

cogsjon is offline Member

Primal Biscuits

Shop Now
    Does anyone have a recipe for primal biscuits using almond meal or coconut flour? I've tried one but it didn't work really work.

Azrhiaz is offline Junior Member
    I sure don't, but I'm eagerly hoping for someone who does...biscuits are next to godliness.

B. Knight is offline Senior Member
    Grain-Free Biscuits Served With Bacon Egg and Cheese | Food Renegade

Something along these lines? I haven't tried them myself but it's on my To-Do list.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

cogsjon is offline Member
    Thanks, I'll try this tonight and let you know.

kimwg is offline Member
    I tried this one recently, it was quite good and not too eggy -- but do make sure to squish them down, otherwise they get big cracks on the surface!
    Coconut Flour Biscuits

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    I made the coconut muffins from the free coconut cookbook on MDA, and you could hypothetically sub these in for biscuits.....But coming from someone who was a very good baker in my former to primal life, I'm talking flaky & buttery pie crusts, perfect homeade cakes, etc., these don't cut it for regular biscuits. I preferred cat-killer biscuits, as opposed to fluffy biscuits, and always homemade with buttermilk, and no sugar added. The sugar came into play later when topped with honey & jam......ahh.....memories......

So if you are doing a truly primal biscuit....I don't think you can compare to our "preprimal" biscuits. Sorry, just being honest. You could try a gluten-free version for a better approximation, but I wouldn't make a habit of them (for primal reasons ).

However, I have found that I like this variation of the muffins mentioned above, and they could sorta pass for a biscuit with some imagination:
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    1/4-ish cup (I like to add a little more) almond meal flour
    1/2 cup melted coconut oil OR butter (I would use butter here if trying to approximate a biscuit)
    1/2 cup fine dehydrated coconut (unsweetened)
    1 T or so of raw honey (or omit)
    1 t soda
    A splash of hot water (makes recipie go further, muffins are lighter), maybe omit for biscuit-like muffins (if also omitting honey I would add more than a splash of water).
    3 eggs

Mix all together, bake in greased muffin tin for about 17 minutes (for my high altitude, maybe longer for you) @ 350'. There will be extra muffin cups not used, so remember to fill each empty cup with about 1 T of water when putting into oven to make sure all muffins bake evenly.
    Last edited by EvansMom; 09-20-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Trixie is offline Junior Member
    Making these tonight. they sound yummy.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    this is the recipe I use, it's easy and doesn't require separating eggs, wasting yolks or baking in muffin cups. I have since found that it's not necessary to freeze the flour or to mix the eggs in lightly since there's no gluten to toughen the biscuits.
    I also started making the almond flour myself since the price has gone up to $12/lb
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

terrax is offline Member
    I do!! they are so easy and so yummy!!... these literally taste like real biscuits with a hint of coconut and the coconut oil gives them a buttery taste to them.

I found this recipe off of some site:

Dry ingredients:

1 cup coconut flour

1 tsp baking soda

Liquid ingredients:

4 eggs

1 tbsp coconut oil

1 cup coconut milk

OPTIONAL: sweetener of choice (1 mashed overripe banana/stevia/honey/etc.)- I personally make them with no sweetener and they are DELICIOUS.

1 tsp vanilla extract

coconut oil to grease muffin pan

Directions – Preheat the oven to 350. Combine all of the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix. Combine all of the wet ingredients in another bowl and mix. If possible, use room temp milk so that the coconut oil doesn’t harden when you combine them.) Pour the wet over the dry and combine. . Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.

davem is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by EvansMom View Post
    However, I have found that I like this variation of the muffins mentioned above, and they could sorta pass for a biscuit with some imagination:
    1/4 cup coconut flour
    1/4-ish cup (I like to add a little more) almond meal flour
    1/2 cup melted coconut oil OR butter (I would use butter here if trying to approximate a biscuit)
    1/2 cup fine dehydrated coconut (unsweetened)
    1 T or so of raw honey (or omit)
    1 t soda
    A splash of hot water (makes recipie go further, muffins are lighter), maybe omit for biscuit-like muffins (if also omitting honey I would add more than a splash of water).
    3 eggs

Mix all together, bake in greased muffin tin for about 17 minutes (for my high altitude, maybe longer for you) @ 350'. There will be extra muffin cups not used, so remember to fill each empty cup with about 1 T of water when putting into oven to make sure all muffins bake evenly.
    Hm, must try. Biscuits and gravy and an Awful Awful replacement are on my "primal" list.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast