Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Health is back. page

Agapilot is offline Junior Member

Red face Health is back.

Primal Fuel
    We started this new way of eating 8 months ago. And last month was a major peak for us.
    My husband while never more than 30 pounds over his ideal weight began slowing down, couldn't lose it, sex began to not happen everything that is now a tell tell sign of heart condition except for perfect EKG. This occurred over 15 years mind you slowly getting worse. Granted he wasn't in the best of shape when I met him, already a bad knee (nearly torn off when he was 19 in 1977) and degenerative arthritic disc in his lumbar now almost all are gone and natural fusing is starting. But hey love is love right.
    He had suffered two seperate chest pains that we visited the ER over those years which everything was fine and sent home with pulled muscles etc. Those c reactive tests and such not yet available and hours to do an EKG too. Being he work in heavy equipment as a mechanic it was easy enough to believe they were right. But yet we weren't hearing about those little symptoms of heart disease. Things like impotence, falling asleep when relaxed in front of tv within minutes, hair even thinning, and even becoming winded after certain normal but slightly vigorous walk or such.
    In 2006 he had a major clot happen we were in a foreign country at the time and he thought it was the cigarette he had been smoking. No he didn't see a doctor or hospital...stubborn fool. Yes I guilt him over that often. It took three weeks before he could function again, but now he was definitely not well, easily winded after a short flight up the stairs, absolutely couldn't even be around smoke as he would immediately feel like he couldn't breathe, etc.
    We finally in 2007 return home to Texas, in march the man couldn't even make it up the stairs hardly to our second floor apt without resting. He went back to work with previous company in heavy equipment. I feared for his life daily at this point as I knew that work was back breaking. He had started seeing a doctor GP in November after insurance took effect. Cholesterol through the roof, but that run-in the family as no one mentioned this before grr. Bp was raised which he had been checked once before we left the country was up but still not worrisome. This time was definitely up high. Put him n meds for that and cholesterol but yet the GP couldn't seem. Figure out why he was so short of breath. Heart seemed tine with EKG and nothing in lungs. In April he recommended us. A cardiologist for a CTA scan much like a MRI of the heart. We went in early in the day and ended up being kept there till after hours to wait for the doctor to talk to us. The normal thing is good scan you'll go home with new appointment, if something up you will see the doctor before you leave. Yeah I knew this was good.
    It was worse it was bad. Even the doctor was amazed my husband was walking in his office much less working etc. Almost every artery had a major blockage, and the collaterals thanks to his "workouts" were as large as the arteries but only one was feeding the whole heart and it was about 80% closed At a v merge point. He was literally one clot away from certain death.
    He was checked for the possibility of stents, but all were solid and if they stented one side of the V of the one it would cause the other side to clot and kill him anyways. Referee to a surgeon in May who basically took a five minute look at the scans and notes and asked when did we want surgery he was open on mon tues and wedn. Yes he actually said that. Quintuple bypass. That finally truly scared my husband...men so darn hard headed. We scheduled for first Monday in June (only a couple weeks later).
    I hired movers to move us into the house in the mean time. Arranged care for kids, everything and took time off from my job too. Surgery went well, and recovery started etc.
    Well we of course began all the recommendation of diet etc. He gained weight even I did too, the whole family is on this diet too. First wasn't too worried as he was recovering etc. But after 6 months and he returns to work and he tries to watch his diet, and limit food and no sodas at all, no loss in weight, but holding. Check ups show still having issues with getting his numbers down and limiting side effects etc. And continue to watch weight. Not yet a pre diabetic.
    I start looking at things and noticing for men like him in his industry and pay scale and health conditions, most end up dead in few years because they finally give up on the meds as they interfere with their ability to function at work, or on disability and type II diabetic and depressed etc, because the meds just make you unable to function. I was not happy with this. We cut back on foods to lose weight, eat even more what they say do, but it just made things harder always hungry, couldn't eat out healthy etc. He suffered such bloating, gass etc he blamed meds of course. And year after surgery now entering the pre diabetic stage. Geez.
    This went on till almost just gave up dieting at all, still he did give up sodas and sweets but still a pre diabetic and closing fast on the full diabetic stage. In 2010 a pilot friend was posting in another forum his success with some new diet theme, first we began to hear about paleo/primal stuff. I watched his stuff. But I had my doubts of course and this man didn't have all the health issues my husband had etc. So I didn't think it would help us. Yet more pilots were getting on this fad and some of them were losin weight too. Hmm.. In Jan of 2011 my husband was rushed to ER again because the hard headed man had not been taking his BP meds etc.
    I looked at the numbers just taken. Cholesterol still way to high yet marginally lower than started. A diabetic stage officially, but of course no need for those meds yet as can try to get it under control with diet. So in 3 years time no weight change, and health nt really improving other than the heart looks good.
    I went and bought the Primal Blueprint. Read it thru. Looked at the website, looked at more research about this stuff, even read Gary Taubes then Robb Wolf.
    February 1 2011 we started the diet. First 30 days I think the kids were ready to lead a revolt. Husband wasnt sure still but hopeful and least found it easier to follow the diet when he ate out with the crews. In April a marginal change in the numbers and few pounds lost. Still hopeful. In June lipids looking better still some weight loss at this point about 15lbs total. Cardiologist agrees with the books were reading and this new diet plan, the GP says no way. Hmm I listened to the cardiologist. Also we noted we stopped having gas, bloating, and husband noticed stopped having swallowing issues.
    In Juy we took a vacation on a mountain primitive cabin about 10000 feet altitude. We had cut down trees, chopped wood, hiked, moved large rocks and built a small sidewalk area, ate very very primally with inky what we packed, meat and veggies, no fridge, and hour to get down the mountain to civilization. Then came home. Lost another 5lbs too. But we knew we were better than couple years ago which couldn't have imagined just walking around the cabin at those altitudes.
    Back in march lost my job, still out of work, but we still tried to follow the primal/paleo way. The costs killer on a familyof 5 at 42k a year. 2 kids in high school and one in middle school. I've had to buy primal n clearance when I can, otherwise by regular meats and vegatables, but still no grains, or beans etc.
    In august 22, which was my husbands 52 birthday we visit the GP and review the lipid and such tests. Numbers were almost exactly where they were wanting them for years, he noted the weight loss though still have more to go, and not even close to the pre diabetic stage. Bp was low enough had to reduce meds too. GP asked what we were doing. I explained again. He actually was surprised and was going to finally read more about it.
    It took eight months to turn the corner and hopefully still will lose more weight. His job is lots of walking and weight bearing and occasional level of sprint work. Mine is walking the dog, bellydancing, and whatever comes my way. I think not being able to eat as primally as should puts us at a disadvantage, but way ahead of those on a standard SAD diet plan.
    And while no pictures of before and after which really not that noticeabley different, how we feel is so much better. I feel I can plan my husband retirement in ten years not his funeral instead. And yeah the sex life came back too. Kids still sometimes want to revolt, but think they instead more physically active, and more willing to work for their own money to buy their treats. Our evil plan is working.
    Last edited by Agapilot; 09-20-2011 at 06:10 AM.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    WOOHOO! That's an awesome success story, even if you haven't lost the weight yet.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Awesome success story. And think of the long- term impact on the kids of this way of life.

Good for you! If you had kept following conventional wisdom, you would be a widow by now.

diploid is offline Member
    Great story. This is an objective lesson in what being primal is all about. Focus on the health and the rest of it falls into place. Too many of us are fixated on immediate scale weight loss without waiting for the healing phases. Thanks for sharing.
    Our own life is the instrument with which we experiment with the truth.

kiwigirl42 is offline Member
    really interesting story. well done both of you for sticking to it all. glad its working

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Love your story! Thanks for sharing it

My husband's story is sort of similar, though I'm thankful he didn't need surgery. It was on the table for a while there. They went in to do the stents and realized his heart was a lot worse than they thought so they backed out and discussed bypasses for a week but then in the end decided to go through with the stents. And yeah, the look on the doctor's face when he was explaining it all to me (ugh).

I'm glad to hear it's working well for you guys! My husand's first blood test (since going primal) is next month and I'm on pins and needles waiting for it!

Thx Shannon

For us, it seemed needed longer than we hoped, but the initial weight loss kept husband going. It was second set of tests that started showing the improvements.
    Think the hardest part for many is wanting that first month or two to show all the improvements. It just doesn't happen that way. It was years getting yourself into this and while I doubt takes years to recover, it will take months.
    We are now refocusing back to weight loss. And I'm sure that will improve his numbers and aches and pains too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Awesome success story. And think of the long- term impact on the kids of this way of life.

Good for you! If you had kept following conventional wisdom, you would be a widow by now.
    Yeah I am glad I finally said no more to convention too.

ShannonCC is offline Senior Member
    Agapilot, my husband has diabetes and his blood sugar went considerably down right away. I mean, within a week of eating this way! Yeah, quick results are good for motivation But you're right in that the damage of a lifetime of CW is not going to fix itself right away. I'll try and keep that in mind when he gets his blood test, just in case they are not as good as I'm hoping. Honestly, I just don't want them to be worse than they were.

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for sharing. You should email Mark your story too. I'm glad you took the reins to guide your husband back to health and healing. Basically you are saving his life. The road may seem long but it really isn't, in the scheme of things. Keep at it and be diligent, and you'll see the old body shed and a new body reborn. Good Grokking!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast