Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying my first pair of Fives. Question. page

B. Knight is offline Senior Member

Question Buying my first pair of Fives. Question.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Alright, I plan on buying my first pair of Fives next week, and I am curious as to if I should get the KSO, or the Bikila. Seeing as the Bikila are only 5 dollars more and the website describes it as a more authentic barefoot experience.

Any thoughts on these 2 shoes? Has anyone owned both? I would use them for pretty much everything, but I'm not a super active guy. I walk when I find the inclination, but I usually don't like to walk just for the sake of walking.

So when I say everything I guess I really mean walking occasionally, a little lifting (waiting for Body By Science to ship from Amazon), play and sprints.

I also have the extreme urge to climb trees...

In any case, I appreciate any feedback you guys can give. Hey, maybe I'm even choosing the wrong shoe. Is there a different style that is better for a beginner to barefoot-ism? I just went with what sounded right in the description... They also happened to be the cheapest.
    "You don't have forever to change yourself."
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
    Mark Twain

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    I have the Classics the KSOs and the KSO Treks,

Having never owned the Bikila, but looking at the sole it seems like it is between the trek and the classic sole.

For me, I would recomend anything with the classic sole for your first pair for the most "barefoot" feel. (classic, sprint, KSO...) I love the KSO they are my go to VFFs that i live in sprint in and weightlift in.

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    The bikala's are running "shoes", I think. They are definitely going to have a thicker sole (and less ground feel) than the KSOs. I think the KSO's would be a better "barefoot" experience.. try them both and get the one that feels the best. The thicker soled Bikalas or Trek/Treksport might be the way to go for a beginner.. I went with the Trek Sports because they felt the best.. my next pair will be KSO or Sprints.
    Last edited by tcb; 09-20-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    If you don't have PERFECT toes, you will not get your feet into them. Don't waste your money.

Grizz

I do have perfect toes. So I'll be fine! (Don't know what "perfect toes" mean, but I like mine, anyway. ;D)

What about the Komodosports? They are pricier, but I've read they are more comfortable.
    Last edited by B. Knight; 09-20-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

Mark Twain

tcb
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    If you don't have PERFECT toes, you will not get your feet into them. Don't waste your money.

Grizz
    Not true.. They may not work for everybody, but they work for me and my jacked up feet. My big toe is not the longest toe on either foot (second toe on the left foot, middle toe on right) and I cracked the growth plate in my second toe on my right foot to where it is about half an inch short of where it should be.. Seriously, I hiked the tetons in my vffs. I work out in them every day. If I'm not at the office or barefoot, most likely I am wearing them.

As a bit of irony, my wife who has what appears (to me) to have perfect toes cannot wear the vff's because her arch is too high...

tcb
    Quote Originally Posted by B. Knight View Post
    I do have perfect toes. So I'll be fine! (Don't know what "perfect toes" mean, but I like mine, anyway. ;D)

What about the Komodosports? They are pricier, but I've read they are more comfortable.
    Comfort is relative. I didn't like the bikala's at all.. mainly due to the strap tightens from the outside in instead of from the inside out like the KSO's do. I thought the Komodos were very similar to the Treksports in fit but a little stiffer in the sole. Just take your time and try them all on. Trying to decide what will be best for you prior to putting them on is an exercise in futility.. they all feel different in different ways, at least to me.

There's a local store that I'm pretty sure carries almost every VFF, so I'm going to try on all the Fives I can before I buy, of course. Just looking for opinion.
    Last edited by B. Knight; 09-20-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

Mark Twain

June is offline Senior Member
    I have crazy hammers and bunions - really jacked up feet. I got the bikilas for my first pair. I do gym activities and outdoor activities and I feel like I feel the ground a lot. I travel in them too. I'm happy. I want a more basic pair also, but this worked for me and I felt comfortable "stepping down."

For anyone interested, I bought a pair of black KSOs. Tried them on and fell in love, didn't really like the feel of the Komodos though (they were the laced kind, like sneakers with toes, too weird). And they didn't have any of the Bikilas.

Anyway, walked the 3 or so miles home from work today, half uphill in the forest (the back way), the rest on concrete. Super comfortable! Loving them so far.
    Stefan Molyneux
    Freedomain Radio

Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast