Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this gluten free Muesli acceptable for a Paleo Diet? page

Jboyd88 is offline Junior Member

Question Is this gluten free Muesli acceptable for a Paleo Diet?

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I'm just starting out on the a Paleo diet and currently doing a lot of experimenting, mainly trying to find ways to re-create food I used to love but cant eat any more.

Anyway, I say a video on youtube for home made Paleo Muesli so I thought I'd try it out as some sort of a cereal would be great in the morning. I havent tried it yet but I have bought all the ingredients and to be honest the nuts are too expensive and this doesn't seam like something I could really afford to eat on a regular bases (broke student).

When I was shopping though I found Gluten free toasted muesli.

Its ingrediants are: Buckwheat 20%, pumpkin seeds 14%, sunflower seeds 14%, raisins 14%, sultanas 14%, shredded coconut 9%, honey 5%, crisped rice 4% (rice, sugar), linseeds 4%, almond oil, sugar, cinnamon 0.2%.

Nutritional information:
    Typical values per 100g
    Energy 1929kJ/461kcal
    Protein 11.7g
    Carbohydrate 53.2g
    (of which sugars)34.6g
    Fat 22.8g
    (of which saturates)8.6g
    Fibre 2.0g
    Sodium trace

I realise that this has 'Crisped Rice' in it. Does that rule it out as sometihng I should be eating?

I had some just now with almond milk and it was pretty good and much cheaper than buying nuts each time.

Let me know your thoughts,
    Cheers,
    Jamie

P.S. I'm not sure if this is healthful to know or not but I also plan on a intense exercise plan with goals of being super fit and energetic and also to have well defined muscles and low body fat. At the moment I am skinny so I need to build muscle.
    Last edited by Jboyd88; 09-20-2011 at 04:42 AM.

Lars86 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know about buckwheat specifically, but believe it's a grain and so I would not eat it. Besides that, it has a ton of sugar in it. Even if you want to gain weight, that is a lot of sugar to throw down in one small meal. I vote no.

Thanks for the input! Buckwheat is actually not a grain, its a seed but often used as a grain alternative. I'm not sure how much of the muesli I would actually be eating each morning, weather it would reach 100gs or not but if you reckon the sugar content is too high then I wont buy it after this box.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Mark had an article on a buckwheat. While it is not a grain, and it is gluten-free, like millet, quinoa etc, it is still better to be avoided 90% of the time. Sure, a cup of buckwheat is better for you than a bowl of cheerios or cornflakes. But, honestly, when you go Primal/Paleo, it is best not to look for 'what can I get away with?" approach, but to embrace the concept. And the concept is that grains and seeds are nutritionally poor choice, giving you too much carb, and too little nutrients for the amount of calories you are consumming. ALL grains, seeds and, to be honest, nuts as well.

Can't face eggs for breakfast every day? Do left-overs or fast or broth. Finding some magic cereal that magically is not a cereal at all, or mucking around with nut meals is most likely to result in giving you a bad addiction to something like nuts or another food that should be firmly delgated to 'treats and cheats' category.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I would not totally rule it out. Somtimes I need something very quick with variety and that product looks pretty good for a once a week or so changeup. 50g is a more realistic serving size. So if you had it with kefir or a fermented milk product with limited lactose and supplemented with some berries, more shredded coconut or even cheaper nuts you would be getting half the carbs and sugars listed above (based on 100g serving size, albeit a bit more with some added berries). Still, I could see this as a good base. When I ate cereal, I used to mix two or three kinds at a time. No reason, you could not use this as a base and supplement with other things.

Where did you see this actuall, I might pick some up.

I got this from Tesco (UK shopping store), not sure where you'd get it in the US. Thanks for all the advice, I think I will leave this out of my diet and just eat eggs with Bacon some days and almond-banana pancakes with fruit on other days with maybe a fast or two chucked in.

I'm just looking for as much variation as I can so I can create a weekly meal plan I wont get bored of, I think that is the key to me staying motivated and on course.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    That's a pretty high carbohydrate, high fat, high calorie mix. It wouldn't be bad for constant energy for long hikes, long jogs or for a pre or post workout snack. The problem with it is it's too high fat for a proper refeed and too high carbohydrate for low carb. It looks to be pretty isocaloric, which isn't bad if you eat a balanced diet of fat/carbs/protein, which is good for maintenance caloric levels in healthy people at their ideal bodyweight. However, note that it's going to be very high in PUFA's and skewed highly toward omega 6. You could probably eat it, but there would be better things to pick from. If you're looking for quick energy from a box, I'd rather get a Larabar.

In case you're unaware, linseed is flaxseed btw, but the n3 from the tiny amounts of flax isn't a lot to balance out the large quantities of sunflower seeds, buckwheat and almond oil, and it's all ALA-based. You're taking in a very, very large quantity of n6 with that snack. I do frigging love granola, though...
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-20-2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

dado Guest
    I don't know, it looks suspect.

ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR SHUT IT DOWN!!!

davem is offline Senior Member
    I'd eat it before a long run, or yoga. Er, no, yoga's brutal, better not to eat.

Why do you want it though? Is it a matter of convenience? Or eating breakfast because you're "supposed" to?

I don't eat breakfast, so I don't eat cereal.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it more expensive than making your own?

I make one for dh that is 2 1/2 C mixed nuts (usually almonds, walnuts, and a few macadamia), 1C of seeds (mix sunflower, and pumpkin), 1 C of coconut (dessicated unsweetened), couple tablespoons of cinnamon, and sometimes a scoop or 2 of protein powder or egg white powder, 1C each dried banana chip and apricot, and toss this in batches into a food processor (this is not necessary I am just trying to hide from dh that fact that I am not using any oats), then pour a mix of about 1C coconut oil and 1C butter melted over it (you could add raw honey here also if you like it sweet-he doesn't). Bake at 350 mixing every 10 inutes for a bout 30 minutes until golden brown. Eat out of hand or in a bowl with 'milk' of your choice.

This is a huge batch and generally lasts him at least 2 weeks, he eats it every morning.
    Last edited by demuralist; 09-20-2011 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast