Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are extremely hard work outs necessary on primal blueprint diet? page

Primal_alien is offline Member

Why are extremely hard work outs necessary on primal blueprint diet?

Primal Fuel
    Why are are very hard work outs necessary if a primal blueprint diet is so successful?

I understand the reasoning behind the diet is to emulate the diet of our paleolithic ancestors, which we are supposedly best adapted to (a matter of speculation, actually, but still a very interesting proposition).

But why then must we engage in very difficult, heavy compound exercises almost every day of the week if said diet is so successful at stemming body fat formation?

If it is heavy compound movement that is burning body fat, couldn't we theoretically be on ANY diet and see similar results?

As a matter of fact I know more people than I can count on extremely high carb diets who gain muscle and lose fat, and these people are all age groups, not just younger people.

I am not against Marks message, I just think it gets lost in the translation when people claim a primal blueprint diet makes it easier to burn fat when doing heavy resistance exercises than any other diet would. I don't see this as true. Help me realize why I might be wrong?

Nekron is offline Senior Member
    There is no single word anywhere here or in the book that claims you cant lose weight without hard workouts. I have no idea where you get your facts but its actually the exact opposite thats true.

Though if one wants to build muscle as well as losing weight one would actually have to work out and heavy compound moves are best for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nekron View Post
    There is no single word anywhere here or in the book that claims you cant lose weight without hard workouts. I have no idea where you get your facts but its actually the exact opposite thats true.

Though if one wants to build muscle as well as losing weight one would actually have to work out and heavy compound moves are best for that.
    Yes but I have heard this myth that a primal blueprint diet makes both muscle gain and subsequent fat loss easier. My current view is that irrespective of diet (save for plain junk food diets) you will gain significant muscle if you work out very hard several days a week. I don't know why some people make it seem like primal blueprint or paleo is necessary for that.

darthgall is offline Junior Member
    Sample size of one here... but for me, just working out hard on a poor diet got my muscles to grow, and I got stronger, but I never saw much definition in the muscles until I started to eat right, b/c when I started eating right, the muscles were getting bigger as the fat stores were getting smaller. When it was just working out with poor diet, all those gains in muscles and definition was still obscured by a fat layer.
    Standard American Diet + working out = muscles getting bigger, no fat loss.
    Paleo Diet = fat stores reduced steadily over time
    Paleo Diet + Workout = fat stores reducing + muscles getting bigger.
    Maybe it's the illusion of faster gains? I don't know, but it's worked pretty well for me, and it's been doing both fat loss and muscle gain at the same time. And with both things taking place at once, I've gotten a lot more comments about my improved appearance, which is always nice...
    Try it for 30 days; what do you have to lose?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think you ought to read the book and respond to that, instead of asking questions about myths you've heard. Mark never claims hard workouts are needed for weight loss, recommends that you DONT work out every day, etc. Basically, every word of your post is wrong, start again, read the book.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by darthgall View Post
    Sample size of one here... but for me, just working out hard on a poor diet got my muscles to grow, and I got stronger, but I never saw much definition in the muscles until I started to eat right, b/c when I started eating right, the muscles were getting bigger as the fat stores were getting smaller. When it was just working out with poor diet, all those gains in muscles and definition was still obscured by a fat layer.
    Standard American Diet + working out = muscles getting bigger, no fat loss.
    Paleo Diet = fat stores reduced steadily over time
    Paleo Diet + Workout = fat stores reducing + muscles getting bigger.
    Maybe it's the illusion of faster gains? I don't know, but it's worked pretty well for me, and it's been doing both fat loss and muscle gain at the same time. And with both things taking place at once, I've gotten a lot more comments about my improved appearance, which is always nice...
    Try it for 30 days; what do you have to lose?
    Cool, except that for plenty of people work out+extremely high carb diet=Muscle growth and fat loss also.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I think you ought to read the book and respond to that, instead of asking questions about myths you've heard. Mark never claims hard workouts are needed for weight loss, recommends that you DONT work out every day, etc. Basically, every word of your post is wrong, start again, read the book.
    Say something more convincing to get me to read the book.

pollydinasaur is offline Member
    No where does Mark say - work out obsessively/very hard.

He advocates slow movement and lifting heavy things - if you feel like it.

SOme folk do, some folk don't - same with everything primal - its all down to YOU and want YOU want to achieve.

I like feeling strong so I do a few reps of body weight exercises a few times a week and I walk my dogs every day - body fat (female 5ft 6&1/2 inches) is at 20% heading towards 19% fat.

I used to run 36+ miles a week, hard core boot camp 4 x a week, and lived on 1500 cals or below - body fat was 22%.

I'm now on around 1500-2000 a day and body fat has dropped.

Proof is in the pudding for me.

Make a choice, read the Blueprint, decide whether you want to lift heavy things or not - no one will make you.

Its about your goals, your choices.

I wanted to stop dieting and exercising excessively and I have.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_alien View Post
    The focus of the Primal Blueprint is NOT weight loss; it's good health. The healthy weight loss (OR maintenance, OR weight gain, in some cases) is a side-effect.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_alien View Post
    ...what??

even most body-building fat loss/muscle-building routines advocate 30% calories from protein, easy on the carbs.

no one advocates doing heavy workouts every day. they do advocate being physically active (which is not equivalent to 'working out') every day. there is no such 'myth.'

also, personally, i worked out with silly machine weights at the gym before going primal but could never actually build muscle or strength. then when i started eating primally (meaning i was eating a lot more protein, much fewer carbs), i built muscle and strength just from doing yoga.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast