Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbohydrate Help page

Ocean is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I'm in the process of switching from conventional diets of all the forbidden foods to Primal but I am finding it very hard to consume 100 -150g of Carbs per day. Which according to the book and to my lifestyle is my optimal carb consumption. I'm trying to stay away from fruits as Im in the process of leaning up. To me it almost seems impossible to consume this amount of carbs from vegetables alone. I may have missed a post on this forum or a chapter in the book so I apologise in advance. Just trying to get this right to ensure a smooth transition into the world of Primal.

Thank you in Advance.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

You don&#39;t *need* to consume 100-150g/day. Don&#39;t feel pressured to, in any case. In fact, going < 50g/day makes weight loss extremely easy by entering the body into ketosis.

I know there are plenty of individuals who can exercises rigorously on a VLC (very low carb) diet...it does take a little getting used to, though.

I could be mistaken, but, I believe Mark recommends the 100-150g carb range as a method to maintain weight with his prescribed activity levels. I don&#39;t think he himself eats that many carbs in an average day, either.

But, if you must eat carbs, I would probably stick to veggies, nuts, some berries, and at the WORST some rice/potatoes.

Ocean is offline Junior Member

Sorry I&#39;m wrong I believe its 50-100g for weight loss and for extreme weight loss it&#39;s 50g or less. After doing bodybuilding for some time Im struggling to come to terms with the fact that you can supposedly eat so few carbs and not become catabolic. Also fruit is a major part of the Primal way however correct me if I&#39;m wrong, if weight loss is your main goal then fruits should be limited to one serving a day or none at all until you reach your desired BF%? Even eating the low GI fruits such a berries, is it not going to have the same spike in insulin to that of a chocolate bar (with the same sugar content) minus the excess fat in the chocolate bar? (Of course I realise berries are full of many beneficial anti oxidants etc).

I don&#39;t mean to come across naive, I can certainly see the health benefits associated with the Primal lifestyle. I just want to be as educated as I can so that when I cross 100% my training or energy levels do not suffer.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

When your body begins to rely on fat for fuel, muscles are not catabolized because your body doesn&#39;t need the glucose. The ketones become the body&#39;s primary source of energy. When there is a shortage in fats consumed, your body switches over to stored body-fat. That&#39;s as much as I know

Oh, and to answer your question: one serving of fruit a day sounds reasonable. Berries are even better.

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

krisssi Guest

As long as you keep lifting heavy regularly and you don&#39;t have an "unnatural" amount of muscle mass, then I wouldn&#39;t be at all worried about catabolism on a low carb diet.

I too find it impossible to eat 100-150 grams carbs per day via vegetables, so I eat two bananas every day. I love bananas and they go very well with my digestive system whereas other fruits like apples do not.

Normally the first instruction received by diabetics is about eating and selecting the foods from the list of low carbohydrate foods. Sometimes the selection of foods from the list of low carbohydrate foods become difficult specifically when a person plans to shop for grocery. It becomes critical to look for the leanest part of the meat and the most natural foods available in the super store.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I weight train 3 times per week, do light cardio 2 times per week, and rest on the weekends. My daily carb consumption RARELY goes above 50g per day. On the weekends I generally allow myself to be a bit higher carb, but for me, this means I eat a sweet potato or something.

I maintain my weight of 102 eating like this, but am watching my muscles get more toned and my body fat slowly disappear. Energy levels remain higher than when I ate more carbs, less fat. I stay in ketosis pretty much all the time.

Everyone&#39;s different of course, but this is working for me and I feel great.

David is offline Senior Member

JamieBelle,

Would you share the type of veggies you like to eat during the week to keep the carbs at 50r or less?

JamieBelle is offline Member

Salads with dark greens or spinach leaves, bell peppers, squashes and zucchinis, eggplant, tomato, celery, carrot, onion (mostly for flavoring when cooking), cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc.

I typically only eat veggies with my evening meal unless I&#39;m making an omelet for breakfast, and I only do that on weekends. I will sometimes eat half an apple a day, too. I did that a lot in the fall when apples were in season. There will be veggies for lunch, as well, if there are leftovers from the night before.

I consume around 1700 cal a day. The bulk of that is fat in the form of coconut, nuts, and oils.

I take vitamin supplements, too.

Here is what I figure....it is winter; today it was 32 degrees as the high. In these times, Grok probably did not eat a whole lot of veggies. In the summer, when the farmer&#39;s market is open (mine is only open from April to November), I ate more veggies more often. Now, it&#39;s mostly fat and protein, and some veggies though not a great variety, and relatively small portions I guess.

I don&#39;t even know how someone eating primally can get 100 g of carbs in, unless they are consuming 2500 or more calories a day and eating lots of fruit.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Most people don&#39;t take the time to eat a healthy lunch. Typically a lunch consists of a high fat, high salt, high calorie meal that leads to a sluggish afternoon. By evening our body is yearning to be satisfied with a nourishing meal. Unfortunately we feed our body in quantity to make up for the poor eating all day long. But the quality is lacking in terms of lean protein, complex carbohydrates, and unsaturated fat. We go to bed after this large and unhealthy meal and start the whole process over the next day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast