Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: score one for the scale haters page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

score one for the scale haters

Primal Fuel
    ok so i have been having problem losing weight now for the past 2 months. the scale simply isnt going anywhere. i was on a weight loss path losing an average of 4lbs a week for quite awhile and then it just kind of stopped. i figured a stall or maybe a plateau, no big deal, ill try a few different things and see what happens, well not much really happened.

i got to thinking about things and it seemed my weight loss stopped about the same time i started really upping my exercise. hmm maybe im gaining muscle? well that sort of makes sense except my waist measurement (the only measurement ive been keeping track of) hasnt really changed much either.

i have been keeping track of my weight on a digital scale and decided to go back and actually look at what my weight and more importantly my body fat percentages have been in the last 2 months of tracking. this is what i came up with

Code:
    date      weight  bf %	 bf weight   lean body weight   bone density
    7/23/2011 363.2   58.1	 211.0192    152.1808	        7.6
    7/30/2011 361.2   57.9	 209.1348    152.0652	        7.6
    8/7/2011  355.6   55.3	 196.6468    158.9532	        8
    9/16/2011 359.8   46.3	 166.5874    193.2126	        9.6
    9/19/2011 355.8   45.7	 162.6006    193.1994	        9.6
    from these numbers it appears i have lost 48.42lbs of body fat and gained 41.14lbs of lean muscle mass in less then 2 months! looking only at my weight it appears i have lost about 7lbs! also notice my bone density weight has steadily increased over that time as well. not exactly sure what that means but i suspect its a good thing

now before someone calls foul on trusting the numbers from the scale, i will tell you all i threw out quite a few suspect numbers and numbers that didnt really make sense. my lowest weight ive had on the scale during this time is what is listed in my signature. unfortunately i didnt record that weight on the scale as i wasnt saving all weights, more just randomly. the lowest body fat % i recorded was 41.9 which i recorded 2 days ago with a 351.8 weight, however i also recorded a 53% @ 350.4 the same day. as you can see those numbers are definitely suspect.

so what does this all mean? is it even possible to lose 48lbs of body fat and gain 41lbs of lean muscle mass in less then 2 months? why hasnt my waist measurements changed that much? am i reading to much into this?
    Last edited by Mike Gager; 09-19-2011 at 08:44 PM.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Never mind the scale numbers. What's been happening at the belt line? The belt doesn't lie. I would modify the goal to 32", regardless of weight.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

well like i said the waist measurement hasnt changed
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Your sig line indicates 10" off the waist in 3 months. That is awesome progress and is out of proportion to the weight lost which indicates muscle buildup. Whatever you are doing is working and I'd keep it up and stop measuring so often. Once a month is enough.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    No offense, but at your weight, I would use the scale as a measure of progress. Is it even possible to gain 40 lbs of muscle in two months? I'm not trying to be discouraging, but usually people save the "lose the scale, use your measurements" argument for women who are complaining about the last 5 lbs. Unless you want to be a 350 lbs mountain of muscle, you should be losing body fat AND weight.

as for the scale, im not one of the people that says throw away your scale, thats why i do keep track, however the reason for this post was 1. to show sometimes what the scale haters preach can be true, you can have major fat loss without it showing up on the scale, and 2 to get some feedback whether what the data is showing can actually be true

as i mentioned, the weight and waist measurements in my sig line are the lowest numbers i have seen but they are not exactly current, they have been in the sig line for over a month as i havent gotten that low since, my current measuements hover around 355lbs and 52" waist

and cos my goal is to be a 240lb mountain of muscle lol
    Last edited by Mike Gager; 09-20-2011 at 08:48 AM.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    There is no way you gained over 40 lbs of muscle in 2 months. Sorry, that isn't what happened. What method are you using to calculate BF% and lean body mass? Obviously the calculations are off.

Just keep sticking with what you know works. Plateaus are common, but often things are settling themselves out biologically. The weight will start to come off again if you stick with it.

the numbers are right there in the post you are welcome to do the calcs yourself. if its not possible to do can you give me some other ideas of what has happened?

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    the numbers are right there in the post you are welcome to do the calcs yourself. if its not possible to do can you give me some other ideas of what has happened?
    I agree with Yaish. He is not asking how you did the math, he is asking how you got the body fat percentage results that you did. Was it a tanita scale (or similar), DEXA scan or calipers? Where did you get the numbers?
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

Health o meter® Body Fat Monitoring Scale

uses bioelectrical impedance analysis
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast