Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Vitamin D Level (Should I delay TTC?) page

shema is offline Senior Member

Low Vitamin D Level (Should I delay TTC?)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    During a recent visit to my family physician I asked if she’d check my Vitamin D levels. She looked at me like I was an alien and asked WHY I felt the need to do so. I managed to get her to write a script for me and had my blood drawn.

My results are back and we are now playing phone tag (she left a message that she needed to discuss the results w. me). I got sick of waiting to get her on the phone so I picked up my results on my own from the office.

It says that my level is 17 ng/ML where the normal range is 30-100.

So that’s pretty low right?

I wanted to start trying to conceive in October but now I’m thinking I should wait to get my levels up? How long does it take to get Vitamin D levels up?

What dosage should I supplement myself with? Seems like there’s considerable variation in what’s offered in terms of dosage.

What’s the best dietary source of Vitamin D? Salmon??

Now that it’s almost fall here in the Northeast, does it mean being out in the mid-day sun every day won’t make a difference for me or is there still value in spending time outside?

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Try 5000 iu of vitamin d3 (cholecalciferol) per day. Get it retested in 3 months. I like the carlsons liquid d3. They use coconut oil instead of soy or another seed oil.

I got nothing regarding ttc and vitamin d.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

OperaDivaMom is offline Senior Member
    Definitely take at least 5000 IU of d3 daily, I take between 6000 and 10,000 on any given day. You might look into taking fermented cod liver oil/butter oil (by a company called green pastures) as well, that way you get vitamins A and K too. I would definitely hold off at least a few months on TTC until your levels are up, 17 is horrible, mine was 21 and that is pretty awful too. 30 is the "standard" measure of too low, but most doctors who know what they're talking about want it up near 80.

I didn't know about my low vitamin D and K until after I had my son. He is 2 and already has significant tooth decay, and nearly bled to death at 6 weeks old during a routine medical procedure (circumcision, if I had a do-over this would never have happened). Your vitamin deficiencies can definitely have a major impact on your kids. He is a very bright, happy, well-adjusted toddler, but for these two major issues I wish I knew then what I know now.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prodistat View Post
    I like the carlsons liquid d3. They use coconut oil instead of soy or another seed oil.
    Thanks for mentioning this. I get leery of taking so many d3 pills every day because of the filler ingredients. And this sounds like it'd be kid-friendly, too. My kids just started taking d3 gummies and it'd be nice to cut down on their sugar intake from vitamins.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Try 5000 iu of vitamin d3 (cholecalciferol) per day. Get it retested in 3 months. I like the carlsons liquid d3. They use coconut oil instead of soy or another seed oil.
    +1 And if you prefer a gel cap, the Carlson's Solar D Gems are fish oil-based.

You might look into taking fermented cod liver oil/butter oil (by a company called green pastures) as well, that way you get vitamins A and K too.
    I think you already saw on another thread that I don't recommend cod liver oil to my pregnant or ttc clients. It's too easy to take in too much Vitamin A--especially if you are also eating liver (which I definitely recommend!) If you don't eat liver, then Carlson's Cod Liver Oil has the best A to D ratio. Green Pastures can't tell you their A or D amounts because of the way they process the cod livers.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Shema, if you go on pubmed and search for vitamin d deficiency and pregnancy or fetus, maybe you'll find some definite answers. But it certainly can't hurt to wait to conceive until your vitamin d levels are higher. As for your dosage, from what I've read we can safely take up to 10,000 iu a day without negative effects, and possibly higher than that, especially if you take k2 along with the d3. My vitamin d level was at 18 earlier this year and I recently started supplementing with 10,000 iu most days to hopefully get the level up soon. I plan on getting retested in a month of so.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Thank you so much for all of your responses, and for the great suggestion on the Carlsons liquid D3. One question though: I am eating liver too (trying to force myself to like pate)...does that mean I should lay off of the Carlson b/c it has Vitamin A, and just stick to a Vitamin D3 supplement?

Quote Originally Posted by OperaDivaMom View Post
    17 is horrible, mine was 21 and that is pretty awful too. 30 is the "standard" measure of too low, but most doctors who know what they're talking about want it up near 80.
    I spoke to my doc and oddly enough she told me 17 is low but "not that bad". I asked her if I should hold off on trying to conceive and she actually said it would be OK to go ahead and start trying since "women get pregnant all the time not knowing they're deficient in Vitamin D". I was pretty disgusted with the response. I've concluded that this woman doesn't know what she's talking about. Apparently she'd even forgotten that she'd told me my iron levels were low. When I reminded her about it she said "Oh, that's right, you're the low end of normal so it's not so bad" and that the real issue was that I have "low hemoglobin levels". I asked her what I could do about it and she said nothing. Great, thanks doc.

She also recommended taking 1,000 IU a day. I told her I planned on trying out 5,000 and she said I might want to stick to 1,000 since 5,000 "is a lot of Vitamin D3 to take at a time".
    Last edited by shema; 09-20-2011 at 05:57 PM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like it's time to find a new doc!

The Carlson's liquid D3 is different from the Carlson's cod liver oil.

How much Vitamin A does the Carlson's Liquid D3 have? It may be too little to matter, if you are taking it by the drop.

I generally recommend trying to average out at no more than 10,000 IUs of retinol (pre-formed A) a day for my pregnant clients.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 09-20-2011 at 06:34 PM.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I personally would wait until I got my levels up before TTC (now). I feel like my son has been dealing w/ the impact of generational nutrient deficiencies since birth (he's 4 now). I'd check out the vitamin D council site for more on preg. and vit D.

Good luck with everything!!!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Ah, OK, Carlson's liquid D3 it is then. I'll check my local vitamin store to see if they have it...

Thanks FairyRae and OperaDivaMom for the head's up on TTC. I feel like I've waited so long...I waited first to get my weight down and now that I'm almost at a good weight I've been hit with these deficiencies and I feel like I have to wait longer. But you're right. It's worth waiting for if it leads to healthy outcomes. Best wishes to you and your kids!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast