Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step right up and guess my body fat percentage! page

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member

Step right up and guess my body fat percentage!

Hi. My goal is to go from being an obese 240+ lbs high school kid to having a healthy and sustainable 6 pack. I am also competing with a friend of mine who is an out of shape former professional tennis player for the encouragement.

For a little background, I weigh about 175-180 lbs. at 5'11'' and 23 years old. I wear size 32-34 inch waist pants with actual measurements around 35''. I have been leaning out slowly on paleo since last August when I was around 195 lbs coming off of a summer drinking beer and backpacking in Europe.

I am trying to decide if it would be appropriate to start adding in some carb-refeeds and Lean Gains strategies to hit my goal in the next 4-6 months. I eat pretty strict paleo and keep up with basic exercise and body weight exercises. After discovering paleo, I've kept leaning out slowly with much less effort than it used to take eating SAD with lots of dreadful cardio.

What's your best guess as to my current BF %?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PeaceCorpsCaveMan; 09-19-2011 at 05:35 PM.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Attached pics will be approved when hell freezes over. You'll need a host: ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

EDIT: Err wait, It looks likes there's an attached pic that's been approved in another thread. That's news to me.
    Last edited by Laconophile; 09-19-2011 at 04:50 PM.
    Ye shall know them by their fruits.

Thanks laconophile. I loled when I read that.

Here is the hosted image
    By nlgatta at 2011-09-19

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Hard to say without seeing more of your body, but I'll venture a guess that you're around 12% BF right now. Pretty damn good for somebody who used to be obese.

Carb refeeds are a good idea, especially if you've been low carb for a long time. It took me a long time to get over my phobia of carbs, but it really does work.

My guess would be 12-13%.

Wow, that´s encouraging. My rough estimate was a few points higher. I´m certainly not afraid of gaining weight or doing something unhealthy by doing carb refeeds properly. I´m debating between doing Mark´s plan for carb refeeds and fitness, which I feel like he explained almost begrudgingly because his focus is getting people to where I am and not to get into peak aesthetic form, or more of a Lean Gains approach. My biggest limitation would probably be that I do not have access to more than a few rocks, bamboo trunks, and a pull up bar made out of an old metal rake and that I live in a tiny village where I cannot walk beyond its 10 square blocks without being robbed, all that on top of my lack of access to more than basic poor-quality third-world food.

Am I right that basically the only difference between Mark´s refeed and Leangains, assuming I lift in the morning, is that with Mark I eat high carb and high protein for lunch and then return to paleo for dinner rather than remaining high carb through dinner? Of course, I am combining Mark's recommendations for carb refeeding with his recommendation of exercising while fasted for the sake of comparing the two programs. I like LeanGains marketing and promotional material and all, but it makes sense to me that when you have refilled your glycogen in the liver and muscle cells the rest goes to fat. For compatibility, I am also operating under the assumption that primal/paleo does not exclude those who choose to fast 16/8. Even when I was fat I had at least decent sized muscles and strength, so I am really more interested in the fat cutting side.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    No way it's 12-13%. Probably between 16-20.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    It's hard to know what Martin Berkhan would recommend, because he's coy with the details of his various meal plans (all will surely be revealed in his book). But I think you have the right idea as Mark expressed it. The advantage to packing your carbs into the post-workout meal (which is usually lunch) is that you're catching your muscles at their most insulin-sensitive, so you're refilling your glycogen stores and driving protein into lean tissue at the same time. Personally, I rarely have more than a few berries or an apple after lunch on carb-loading days, but I wonder how others do it.

Primal/paleo definitely doesn't exclude regular fasters. As a general rule, predators gorge and fast, while prey animals graze constantly. Humans can opt for either path, and I think the choice does affect body composition.

Your environment does sound challenging! I'd be curious to learn how you work around those restrictions.

20%, Winterbike? How do you figure?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast