Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Step right up and guess my body fat percentage! page 2

RumbleRo is offline Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    No way it's 12-13%. Probably between 16-20.
    Agreed, I would even say 18-22%.

My avatar is ~14-15%
    Organic / Wild / Pasture fed - thats Primal.
    Primal is a step to a healthier, stronger, longer life with weight reduction as a side effect.
    Primal is not just a weight reduction tool.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    20%, Winterbike? How do you figure?
    You don't even see his abs. Unless he's got a weird medical condition where he has no fat anywhere except on his belly, there's no way he's close to 12%. People underestimate bodyfat all the time. A real 12% is pretty ripped.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Winterbike and RumbleRo. Especially if we can't see more than just the torso. He looks like he has less bodyfat because he is thin, but there is no appreciable muscle mass, so most of the mass is actually fat. Sorry to be blunt, but I have worked with bodybuilders for the last 12 years and usually the people that *think* they are at 5% are closer to 10%.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

davem is offline Senior Member
    42%, definitely 42.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I rarely have more than a few berries or an apple after lunch on carb-loading days, but I wonder how others do it.
    My understanding is that fructose from berries and apples would replenish the liver glycogen first and then would be synthesized in the liver into glucose before it can be taken up by the muscles as muscle glycogen. In this case, carbs in excess of this are stored as fat. Whereas consuming glucose from potatoes, rice, etc. will allow the glucose to enter directly into muscles, bypassing the liver, with excess contributing to liver glycogen and followed by body fat. I assume this is to take advantage of muscle cell insulin sensitivity as close to the workout as possible while also sparring protein?

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member
    I appreciate all of the frankness in the discussion. I'm a realist. Based on pinch tests and your estimations, I'd say I'm probably around 18-20%. I estimate that at my heaviest, I was around 30%

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceCorpsCaveMan View Post
    My understanding is that fructose from berries and apples would replenish the liver glycogen first and then would be synthesized in the liver into glucose before it can be taken up by the muscles as muscle glycogen. In this case, carbs in excess of this are stored as fat. Whereas consuming glucose from potatoes, rice, etc. will allow the glucose to enter directly into muscles, bypassing the liver, with excess contributing to liver glycogen and followed by body fat. I assume this is to take advantage of muscle cell insulin sensitivity as close to the workout as possible while also sparring protein?
    That is all correct as far as I know. Berries have a favorable fructose-to-glucose ratio, apples not so much. But a little fructose is forgivable because of the abundant antioxidants, flavonoids, polyphenols etc. in fruit that you won't find in pure starch.

As for guessing body fat percentages, I'm not going to win any prizes any time soon. I appreciate the observations from the other guessers, especially Laconophile's intriguing link.

JVib is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laconophile View Post
    Hey! I'm in that guide! LOL!!
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I rarely have more than a few berries or an apple after lunch on carb-loading days, but I wonder how others do it.
    I'm having success with having a yam, potato or sweet potato after working out. The days I don't work out I have more fat than anything. I'm following some stuff Kurt Harris said about fat and carbs (starches) and how when he would increase one, he would decrease the other and he's maintained his fat loss since he's chained his stance on carbs. So far, I've maintained my current weight (215) but body fat is visibly going down.
    Last edited by pacificBeef; 09-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    That is all correct as far as I know. Berries have a favorable fructose-to-glucose ratio, apples not so much. But a little fructose is forgivable because of the abundant antioxidants, flavonoids, polyphenols etc. in fruit that you won't find in pure starch.
    Again, I'm paraphrasing Archevore but I also recall him mentioning that an empty stomach is actually a good time to have fruit since he thinks it allows your body to use most of it's resources to process fructose effectively.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast