Thread: Crockpot issue..spilling over... page

jay_fm is offline Member

Crockpot issue..spilling over...

Primal Fuel
    So, I am making my first chicken bone broth and filled it up with a chicken carcass, a pack of chicken feet with some carrots, celery and covered it with water.

Woke up this morning to it spilling all over my counter. I have done a few pork recipes in there and it does tend to spill a little but this was alot and it keeps doing it even though it has reduced and it now half full and on the warm setting.

Help? I hate that the broth is being wasted and I am afraid of the crock pot catching on fire if the broth get close to the cord.

Do I set it to warm only and never let it cook on the 4/6/8/10 hour settings? I am doing the chicken batch for about 24 hours but when I do beef I will let it go 48. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I had the same thing happen to me Sat. night only difference was I used turkey parts. The crock is too full. Pull some liquid out so that it wont boil over. Mine woke my teenage daughter and she imagined the noise was aliens knocking on the glass by the front door - pretty damn funny!

jay_fm is offline Member
    I was thinking that also but now that it is half full it is still spilling over at times.

My other issue is that the smell, while delicious, was so strong last night I kept waking up!

pdovers is offline Senior Member
    I think all crock pots are different. The one I have never does that; it is about 10 years old and I got it at Sams Club. However, my mother-in-law has one that boils over all the time even on the low setting. Sorry, but my advice is do some research and get a different crock pot. Perhaps a programmable model would be better.
    Knee deep in the water somewhere got the blue sky breeze blowin' wind thru my hair only worry in the world is the tide gonna reach my chair. Zack Brown Band

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Leave some space at the top of the pot unfilled with water. I know it's tough I usually like to overstuff my crockpot when making broth too, and yeah it's so delicious it wakes me up too.

jay_fm is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdovers View Post
    I think all crock pots are different. The one I have never does that; it is about 10 years old and I got it at Sams Club. However, my mother-in-law has one that boils over all the time even on the low setting. Sorry, but my advice is do some research and get a different crock pot. Perhaps a programmable model would be better.
    Yeah, I think a new one is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    Leave some space at the top of the pot unfilled with water. I know it's tough I usually like to overstuff my crockpot when making broth too, and yeah it's so delicious it wakes me up too.
    It does it no matter how much or how little is in it.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Can you leave it uncovered? Maybe move the lid to the side or prop it up a little w/ a spoon? I ended up turning mine on an off ever couple hours as it really holds the heat in onit gets going.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    My crock pot is about 30 years old or so. It's got a high setting and a low setting. I always turn it down after an hour or so.

But whatever, good luck.

jay_fm is offline Member
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Trixie is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My big crockpot gets too hot on "low" if left cooking for too long (i have burned things in the 8 hours while at work) I use the "keep warm" setting for cooking overnight and it seems to work just fine. I'm going to try the "kalua pig" this weekend on the "keep warm" setting and am sooo looking forward to it.