Thread: Does carrying around my kiddos count as "Lifting Heavy Things"? page

McChunky is offline Member

Does carrying around my kiddos count as "Lifting Heavy Things"?

Primal Fuel
    I've been following the PBF methodology for a couple months now but I'm starting to wonder if I'm overdoing it since I'm already quite active with two little kids.

I'm always lifting, carrying and picking them up (18 & 25 pounds each). I know it's what I'm built to do but wondering if the two extra days of weight-training is really necessary for me...

Any thoughts here?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Nice, helpful people here are going to tell you a whole lot of things you should do. But in fact you are getting the same exercises as your grandmothers going back to when they were swinging in trees. MORE

Ignore the nice, helpful people. Get your rest.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Depends on your goals. I have a 4yo (45 lbs) and do my fair share of lifting, carrying, walking w/ him in a backpack etc. That helps me to be better at lifting and carrying heavy things for sure (esp him ). I do have other goals including getting better at my yoga (so I practice yoga for this, as well as specific bodyweight movements that help.) Handstand push ups and pistol squats are some of my future goals, so I work towards those as well.

You can absolutely have functional strength doing what you are doing. If you feel like you have other specific goals you want to address, go for it.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Don't see why not??? I wear ds (who weighs 26.5Lbs in my ergo when we go for family walks) when you have time you can always add in more of the 5 essential moves... heck When I take the kids to the playground... I do australian pull-ups... and do the monkey bars - its not only fun...but its working out too... do what you can w/what you've got... then add more as you can.... alot will depend on what your goals are...
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

VeloCity.X is offline Senior Member
    I think Shijin's on the right track. Get your other Essential Moves at the playground while you play with them. That equipment will hold adults! Get on there!

I did a Primal/Cross-fit workout with the local meet-up group last night. One of the activities was to carry an 'awkward heavy object' the 20 or so yards from station to station. I chose my 8 yo daughter. Luckily someone else was able to use my 6 yo son so he didn't feel left out. They both had a blast doing it. And it was a workout for sure.
    Trying a journal. We'll see how long that lasts....

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread37152.html

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    sorry, no. Carrying your kids is called life. LHT means moving YOUR bodyweight or barbells, sandbags, etc. While you could incorporate your kids into your LHT, simply carrying them around is not LHT.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shijin13 View Post
    When I take the kids to the playground... I do australian pull-ups... and do the monkey bars - its not only fun...but its working out too... do what you can w/what you've got... then add more as you can.... alot will depend on what your goals are...
    Love working out on the playground while my kiddo plays! You can do pull ups, push ups, overhead press, squats, L-sits, all sorts of goodies while hanging out there. For playground inspiration, just check out Al's site: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Be sure to switch arms. Wouldn't want the arm holding the bigger kid to be bigger.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.