Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almonds page

cjbaum is offline Junior Member

Almonds

Shop Now
    Besides calories, is there any other health downsides to consuming 1 cup of Raw almonds 5 days a week or so ?

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Depends on the context of your diet(esp how much o6 you are getting) and how your gut handles them. While there are a lot worse things to consume, there are also a lot better.

Heidi is offline Senior Member
    The omega-6 content could be a concern in large amounts.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Depends on the context of your diet(esp how much o6 you are getting) and how your gut handles them. While there are a lot worse things to consume, there are also a lot better.
    Well thats kind of why i ask. Im new to the whole primal diet and only about halfway through the book. My daily diet now usually consists of below, but im finding that the almonds are starting to upset my stomach a little. Being that im not trying to loose weight exactly, i have been using the almonds to bridge the gap in calories / protien.

Breakfast
    3/4 whole eggs
    2 pieces of toast & peanut butter (I know, i havent been able to kick this yet !)

Pre-lunch
    1/2 cup of almonds
    Fruit

Lunch
    Tuna salad with sliced almonds and cranberries

Postlunch
    1/2 cup almonds
    Fruit

Preworkout / PostWorkout
    Protien

Dinner

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    1. 16 grams of carbs
    2. lots of inflammatory PUFA Omega 6 fats

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    The omega-6 content could be a concern in large amounts.
    Great Info. Thanks

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbaum View Post
    Well thats kind of why i ask. Im new to the whole primal diet and only about halfway through the book. My daily diet now usually consists of below, but im finding that the almonds are starting to upset my stomach a little. Being that im not trying to loose weight exactly, i have been using the almonds to bridge the gap in calories / protien.

Breakfast
    3/4 whole eggs
    2 pieces of toast & peanut butter (I know, i havent been able to kick this yet !)

Pre-lunch
    1/2 cup of almonds
    Fruit

Lunch
    Tuna salad with sliced almonds and cranberries

Postlunch
    1/2 cup almonds
    Fruit

Preworkout / PostWorkout
    Protien

Dinner
    Gotcha. First things first- gotta get rid of that toast/pb. Other than that, try some meat-even bacon- to make up for the almonds. Also- it's best to get out of the habit of snacking.

Sounds like your getting started, though, which is the most important thing!

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbaum View Post
    Being that im not trying to loose weight exactly, i have been using the almonds to bridge the gap in calories / protien.
    Your diet is way short on protein from meats, particularly fatty meats. Is there a reason for that? Its extremely hard to go full out primal if you don't eat fatty meats, which by the way not only provide healthy nutrition, but will bridge that gap you are looking for. And you won't need to eat so many times a day. In fact, you shouldn't need to eat so many times a day on a true primal/paleo diet, you just won't feel hungry enough to do that nor would you be lacking in energy. Even with hard workouts.

If you won't eat meats, then as you are finding out, it is *possible* to go primal, but difficult and hardly ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    Gotcha. First things first- gotta get rid of that toast/pb. Other than that, try some meat-even bacon- to make up for the almonds. Also- it's best to get out of the habit of snacking.

Sounds like your getting started, though, which is the most important thing!
    I hear ya, ive got a couple more loaves in the freezer that i cant let go to waste. After that, no more !

Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    Your diet is way short on protein from meats, particularly fatty meats. Is there a reason for that? Its extremely hard to go full out primal if you don't eat fatty meats, which by the way not only provide healthy nutrition, but will bridge that gap you are looking for. And you won't need to eat so many times a day. In fact, you shouldn't need to eat so many times a day on a true primal/paleo diet, you just won't feel hungry enough to do that nor would you be lacking in energy. Even with hard workouts.

If you won't eat meats, then as you are finding out, it is *possible* to go primal, but difficult and hardly ideal.
    Im not against meat at all, i hunt and fish and was pretty much raised eating wild game. I didnt include anything for dinner in my diet being that its all over the place, generally as primal as i can convince the cook

Thanks for the info everyone, ill start looking at some other alternatives.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Eat more meat at meal times and cut out the snacking. I used lots of almonds in the beginning because I was doing anything to avoid the grains and high sugar treats. Your daily food list looks fairly typical for a newbie. First loose the toast and PB. Try Apple w/ almond butter instead. Next, loose the snacks or make them some veges like celery and carrots. If you must have bread/baked good, make some primal bread/baked goodies w/ almond or coconut flour. Best of luck and don't sweat the mistakes. It takes a while and lots of learning why to be able to make better choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast