Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewish Holdiays coming up. How will you make them primal? page

indigogirl is offline Senior Member

Jewish Holdiays coming up. How will you make them primal?

How are you going to handle the Jewish Holidays?
    I just started the Leptin Reset so I am going to have even more restrcitions!
    For Rosh Hashanah we are invited to a friend's house. Everyone brings a dish. She asked me to bring a savory kugel, so I am bringing a potato kugel* that I won't eat. I am planning on bringing my own roast chicken and a vegetable to be sure I'll have something to eat.
    I love Challah, so that will be my big challenge: NOT EATING IT.
    Also invited out for Break Fast. Everyone also brings a dish. I am going to see if I can bring a huge greek salad.
    Would love to hear what other people are doing...

* A savory kugel is like a giant potato pancake made in a casserole dish: grated potatoes and onions, eggs, matzo meal or bread crumbs, salt and a lot of white pepper then baked.
    A sweet kugel is a noodle pudding made with egg noodles, eggs, sugar, cream cheese, sour cream, sometimes raisins and baked in a casserole dish.
    Last edited by indigogirl; 09-19-2011 at 02:37 PM.
    Indigogirl

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I'm SO glad you posted this! I just started thinking about what the heck to do about Rosh Hashana and the pre-Yom Kippur dinner and what to do about the family break-fast. I'll probably make a roast chicken stuffed with celery, onion and apple for one of the meals. And I'm going to look for a good brisket recipe for another meal. As for what to bring, maybe a huge fruit salad? Or...I don't know if you do cheese, but a cheese platter could be nice to bring.

As for the kugel...hmm, I wonder if you could make one from sweet potatoes?

Oh hey: how about this carrot kugel?

Here's the original recipe as a carrot souffle.
    Last edited by dragonjax; 09-19-2011 at 02:45 PM.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    Oh hey: how about this carrot kugel?

Here's the original recipe as a carrot souffle.
    That sounds really good! I've been wanting to check out her recipes!
    I don't think I can have honey on the reset
    Indigogirl

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    Check out elanaspantry.com - she is jewish and has primal type spreads for the holidays laid out for you. I've heard of making kugel w/ spaghetti squash also. Maybe try a few recipes and pick the best ones to use or take w/ to family get togethers. I would even go as far as to make primal versions of any offending food you may want to have. It may give you a chance to share your lifestyle with others w/o it looking so restrictive.

jkmorvay is offline Junior Member
    I'm wondering the same thing, actually. Rosh Hashanah will be fairly easy, since we go to my family is primal-ish, due to the number of family members who have had cancer...but break fast for YK is going to be rough. We go to my husband's family for that, and they are big on eating "healthy" via the conventional wisdom diet, and they won't let me cook...

Quote Originally Posted by jkmorvay View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing, actually. Rosh Hashanah will be fairly easy, since we go to my family is primal-ish, due to the number of family members who have had cancer...but break fast for YK is going to be rough. We go to my husband's family for that, and they are big on eating "healthy" via the conventional wisdom diet, and they won't let me cook...
    Could you bring something already made?
    Check out Nom Nom Paleo. She's got yummy recipes. She has one that is an egg dish made in a muffin pan that I haven't tried, but looks good and would travel well..
    JackieKessler and Mud Flinger above also suggested Gluten Free Recipes | Elana's Pantry Apparently she's Jewish and has holiday recipes.
    Indigogirl

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How long does it last? Couldn't you just enjoy the food in smaller portions and not overly stress about it? Unless you are celiac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast