Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing something wrong, feeling crappy. page

gojirama is offline Senior Member

Doing something wrong, feeling crappy.

Shop Now
    For most of the 6-ish months I have been doing paleo, I've felt great. All my arthritis symptoms gone. No asthma. Body reshaping, although I have only dropped a few pounds. I have felt fantastic and full of energy.
    Then, my last period. I always get constipated at that time, so nothing unusual. But when my period was over I still couldn't poop. It took a couple days of pushing water, fruit and Vit C every couple hours to have a poop.
    Now, this month. Last day of period, Friday. By Sunday I had not pooped since the day before my period. Now one thing I will say about what my lifestyle has done for my periods....they are shorter (5 days instead of 6-8) but more intense. I also don't have the hormonal swings so severely- and that includes almost none of the hot flashes and sleeplessness I was having with my periods.
    Saturday night I lay in bed in pain from constipation. It was radiating up my side so much I wondered if I was having heart issues! Sunday, with our chili dinner, I actually had pinto beans, something I have not eaten or wanted for months. I did poop some this morning, but still feel that hard lump in my intestines. I've been eating fruit and carrots, pushing the Vit C again, and had another bunch of beans with lunch. I'll be keeping them out again now, but may consider a few servings of black beans only during my periods, to keep things moving.
    In addition, I'm having arthritis pain in my hand, a sore throat, clogged ear, and feel yeasty. And gained three pounds over the weekend.
    I know for sure some things I have been doing wrong.
    Too much animal fat. I'm going to go back to tossing the fat from meat I cook and cook with olive oil. As tasty as schmaltz and lard are, I really think they are the cause of the "Oooh, my heart" feeling I have on and off.
    Overall I KNOW I need a higher % of veg in my diet.
    Too much sugar. I know that contributes to several of my issues. Going to bake NOTHING for a few weeks.
    Letting too many grains creep back in. I've stayed gluten free but am eating too much rice/rice flour baked goods/ corn chips. I'm going to go back to limiting myself to a little rice maybe twice a week.

My focus is going to be to make the changes that eliminate my pain and discomfort, and trust that in the process those pounds will come back off. Here's hoping I'm back to good in a couple days!
    I blog :http://raisinggodzillas.blogspot.com/
    Like me on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/...17134571662261
    "We have all the food groups- meat and chocolate".

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i only poop twice a week or so. i think its normal to have less poop since you are eaitng less crap
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

I think yes, if there isn't discomfort, but I'm in pain. And the first 4-5 months of primal/ paleo I have pooped daily.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    my bad i missed the part about you being in pain. thought you meant pain from your TOM. are you taking any magnesium supplements?

No, but I think I'll try that.

js290 is offline Senior Member

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gojirama View Post
    I know for sure some things I have been doing wrong.
    Too much animal fat. I'm going to go back to tossing the fat from meat I cook and cook with olive oil. As tasty as schmaltz and lard are, I really think they are the cause of the "Oooh, my heart" feeling I have on and off.
    Overall I KNOW I need a higher % of veg in my diet.
    Too much sugar. I know that contributes to several of my issues. Going to bake NOTHING for a few weeks.
    Letting too many grains creep back in. I've stayed gluten free but am eating too much rice/rice flour baked goods/ corn chips. I'm going to go back to limiting myself to a little rice maybe twice a week.
    To be frank, I'm really doubting the animal fat is an issue. It's pretty non-inflammatory unlike some of the other things you have listed there. Still, I don't think there's a big deal in eliminating everything you suspect for awhile. You could always try reintroducing the animal fat without all the other junk and see how you feel.

But, yeah, if you're regularly eating gluten-free treats and sugar, I'm not surprised you don't feel good. Sugar tends to give me that heart feeling. Corn messes with me, too. Rice seems ok every so often but I avoid corn as much as I can. I know I probably get some in additives when I eat out but my body seems to handle that level of exposure. A serving of chips and my hands would swell up. That might be another candidate for an isolated re-introduction. That way you can gauge the risks of eating it in the future.

I think it's good for us to know what foods we tolerate as individuals. Primal and Paleo are good starting points for learning what foods are most likely to be problems and why. However, in real life most of us are going to deviate from time to time. It's good for us to know the consequences for our bodies. They vary. I was listening to Robb Wolf's podcast the other day and he was talking about this sort of thing. He knows through experience that he has a sudden and very severe reaction to gluten. It makes him miserable. We see people here that can chow a piece of pizza now and then and be fine. He can eat corn a few times a week and be just fine. Me, not so much. Dairy is something that doesn't seem to affect me at all. He knows from experimenting that it makes him snuffly and can even make him break out. He still chooses to eat it sometimes. If it's really tasty and he wants it, the consequence of having a bit of a stuffy nose can be an acceptable trade off. The consequence of joint pain, however, may not be worth it to you. It's good to know exactly which foods cause it.

As for the pooping, I'm lucky not to have had that issue but I do generally eat a fair amount of veg. Always have. I think that helps. Natural Calm (magnesium) also seems to get people trotting, too.

Good luck!
    Last edited by DaisyEater; 09-19-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I was definitely going to suggest trying to supplement magnesium if you're not already. It's supposed to help regulate menstrual issues too (I'm not female, just a disclaimer. ). But DaisyEater beat me to it.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    It may be that the changes are due to age... how old are you?

I know that I have the same constipation issue during the PMS stage. I take magnesium supps in the a.m. and p.m. for about 1-1/2 to 2 weeks before my period, depending on how I'm doing. If memory serves, the constipation can be due to changes in progesterone during that time of the month.

Anywho... also agree that limiting all kinds of things and then reintroducing will tell you a lot about what foods/products are issues for YOU.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

I just turned 39 this month.
    I am very much adding the magnesium.
    Something that occurred to me- if I feel icky after eating animal fat, it may be not due to FAT but that we can so rarely afford properly raised meat. All the impurities are in the fat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast