Thread: Moose Bone Broth page

otzi Guest

Moose Bone Broth

Shop Now
    You should see my crock-pot! I cut up a big ol' thick joint bone from the moose I shot, roasted it a little on the grill, then put it in the crock-pot yesterday. This morning, the house smelled so good I didn't want to go to work!

I strained out the bones and cartilage and poured the broth back in the crock-pot along with a few bits of good looking meat, then added 6 chicken breasts to cook until I get home tonight.

There is about 2" of thick oil floating on top of the broth. Could I steal some of this and make french-fried sweet potatoes? Would that oil be good to fry in or should I just leave it in the broth?

You wouldn't believe how much marrow is in a moose bone!

Later

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on your Moose!

I don't see why you couldn't fry with the oil. Try it and let us know what you think.

otzi Guest
    Did it--awesome! I made regular and sweet potato fries.

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    That rocks.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Try adding a little vinegar and cook it for 2 days to really extract out the goodies. Sounds awesome, I can't wait til someone brings me some moose knuckles!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

otzi Guest
    It was awesome! I saved all the long leg bones, now I need to take them somewhere and get them sawed up into smaller pieces so I can use them. The one I cooked, I sawed up by hand--not fun! You wouldn't believe how much marrow is in those big bones! There was so much fat floating on the broth it was unreal. I did add vinegar, and next time I'll let them simmer for 2 days! I was in such a hurry and they smelled so good I couldn't wait. There's still a few bowls worth leftover, I'll probably have that tonight. Man, that has to be good for ya!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    we dont get moose here. but i do this with deer bones.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    very cool
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    That rocks.
    Un-fucking-banned Darth? No way. That rocks.

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    You should see my crock-pot! I cut up a big ol' thick joint bone from the moose I shot, roasted it a little on the grill, then put it in the crock-pot yesterday. This morning, the house smelled so good I didn't want to go to work!

I strained out the bones and cartilage and poured the broth back in the crock-pot along with a few bits of good looking meat, then added 6 chicken breasts to cook until I get home tonight.

There is about 2" of thick oil floating on top of the broth. Could I steal some of this and make french-fried sweet potatoes? Would that oil be good to fry in or should I just leave it in the broth?

You wouldn't believe how much marrow is in a moose bone!

Later
    Friends from Vermont once defined eternity as two people and a hubbard squash. Friends from Fairbanks modified it: two people and a moose. Good job. Good luck.