Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-season training page

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member

Off-season training

Primal Fuel
    Now that I'm officially finished with my sport that requires long periods of practice, I'm ready to dive straight into Primal workouts. I am a typical gym junkie and really love going to the gym. I was wondering if anybody could give me some feedback regarding my new exercise schedule, which is a huge cutdown from my two-trips-to-the-gym-per-day schedule:

Mon: 45 minute boot camp
    Tues: lower body powerlifting (deadlifts, snatches, and squats), up to 45 minutes
    Wed: upper body weights (bench press, triceps dips, chest press), up to 45 minutes
    Thurs: 50 minutes step aerobics
    Fri: rest
    Sat: Sprints, upper body, up to 20 minutes including warmup
    Sun: Sprints, lower body, up to 20 minutes including warmup

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    not sure what the monday boot camp is all about but you could probably get rid of that, and get rid of either saturday or sunday. get rid of thursday too...

Focus on intensity, not how often you work out. Lift really heavy twice a week, spend yourself thoroughly doing sprints/HIIT once a week, focus on your food and your personal life every other day. You can do small workouts daily if you really wish to but it seems to me like you're going from doing wayyyyyyyyyyy too much to doing wayyyy too much. There's a difference.

I guess I am too used to doing 60+ minutes of exercise every day XD

Thank you for the feedback. I really love the bootcamp, which is pretty much circuit training with calisthenics and plyometrics in a group setting, which I love, so I'll just leave that. I'll also get rid of the Thursday and Saturday workouts, and move Tues/Wed to Wed/Thurs. I think it should be enough rest, right? =)

Edited:

Mon: 45 min boot camp
    Tues: rest
    Wed: lower body powerlifting
    Thurs: upper body lifting
    Sat: rest
    Sun: sprints

Sound reasonable?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post

Thank you for the feedback. I really love the bootcamp, which is pretty much circuit training with calisthenics and plyometrics in a group setting, which I love, so I'll just leave that. I'll also get rid of the Thursday and Saturday workouts, and move Tues/Wed to Wed/Thurs. I think it should be enough rest, right? =)

Edited:

Sound reasonable?
    Yep! Also don't be afraid to mix it up some, like if you find yourself utterly bored, with no plans, and you've already taken care of other shit, and you have a burning desire to go out and kill yourself exercising -- go ahead! Similarly, if you're scheduled to work out but it's not feasible for whatever reason just rest and do it the following day. It's called the off season for a reason, so dial back some.
    Last edited by iniQuity; 09-19-2011 at 01:30 PM.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    BODY BY SCIENCE (VIDEO 3): “CARDIO”
    Meet Staci: Your New Powerlifting Super Hero | Nerd Fitness

Lift heavy ass weights and get as strong as you can. Keep a workout log to track your progress. Do the other things if they make you feel better; stress relief is as good of a reason as any to do a physical activity.

Karma is offline Senior Member

Edited:

Sound reasonable?

You may want to consider a no structure format for a while. You just got through with a long "season" of training and racing. Let your hair down and relax. Reconnect with friends you don't see very often. Let your body tell you when it wants to work out for at least a month. I have seen too many folks burn out way too soon as a result of "endless season" training.

Do something spontaneous and fun that's a little athletic. I like to join an indoor rock climbing gym in the off season for the challenge and fun of it.

All intensity all the time will burn you out, I would slip a long hike or walk in there during the week. Two hours if you can spare the time.

Dave

Good luck.

I enjoy my bootcamp and the powerlifting the most. I feel obligated to continue with the upper body strength to even things out, and my friend wants to do sprints with me on Sunday mornings since I usually come up with good workouts for the both of us that challenge us equally despite her being out of shape.

Is it too much if I do powerlifting every other day so that I can practice my snatch form? XD

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    When do you move slowly for long periods? Don't forget to walk. Really.

My moving slowly is biking really slowly to and from work, each way about 20 minutes. I don't count it as >75% max heart rate cardio because I hardly feel like I need to breathe harder when I'm biking.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Is it too much if I do powerlifting every other day so that I can practice my snatch form? XD
    Evidence-Based Resistance Training Recommendations: Part 1 | Drew Baye's High Intensity Training
    In the earlier half of the last century athletes avoided strength training because they believed it would make them slow and inflexible, a condition referred to as being “muscle-bound”. This perception started to change in the 1950′s, and having previously avoided strength training most athletes and coaches had little or no knowledge of how to train and turned to the Olympic lifters, wrongly assuming their expertise in competitive weight lifting would apply to the training of other athletes. This is where a lot of the misconceptions about lifting speed and explosiveness come from and the reason football players and other athletes are often told to perform power cleans and other quick lifts which are primarily skill based movements which have nothing to do with the skills of their sport and are relatively poor ways of building strength in the muscles involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast