Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High dose Vitamin K2 - buy one get one free page

Adrianag is offline Senior Member

High dose Vitamin K2 - buy one get one free

Some of us are taking Vitamin K2 doses in high doses. There are very few US suppliers that offer it in 15 mg. tablets. I was thrilled to find that it is buy one Get One Free as the stuff is fairly expensive ($49 for 90 capsules).

Ultra K2 - 90 Capsules (15mg) - Vitamin Research Products

About Vitamin K2 - it works together with D3 to direct calcium and other minerals where they belong - such as bones and teeth, and away from where they don't belong such as coronary arteries, kidney stones, etc. In Japan 45 mg. of K2 is the standard dose for reversing osteoporosis.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 09-19-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It's already in my food. Why add more?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    Some of us are taking Vitamin K2 doses in high doses. There are very few US suppliers that offer it in 15 mg. tablets. I was thrilled to find that it is buy one Get One Free as the stuff is fairly expensive ($49 for 90 capsules).

Ultra K2 - 90 Capsules (15mg) - Vitamin Research Products

About Vitamin K2 - it works together with D3 to direct calcium and other minerals where they belong - such as bones and teeth, and away from where they don't belong such as coronary arteries, kidney stones, etc. In Japan 45 mg. of K2 is the standard dose for reversing osteoporosis.
    Thanks... awesome deal!
    The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
    What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
    SW 190lb
    Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
    25 Sep 2011 160lbs
    1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
    GW ~135lbs
    5'3"
    Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

bob
    bob is offline Member
    Based on Cillikat's recommendation, I have been using Thorne Research's Vitamin K2 Liquid. Have you tried this, and if so, notice any measurable difference between caps and liquid? I have never taken K2 as caps...

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I had never encountered a recommendation to take such large doses of K2 before! Apart from your quoted text above, Adrian, do you happen to have any links or references that support K2 megadosing?

I have been using Life Extension's Super K, taking one per day:
    Life Extension, Super K, with Advanced K2 Complex, 90 Softgels - iHerb.com

However, I know that I have significant bone thinning, so if larger K2 doses are warranted to reverse this problem, I'm very interested to know more.

According to Dr. Mercola's site, recommended doses are supposedly much lower:
    10 Important Facts About Vitamin K That You Need to Know

"How much Vitamin K do I need?
    Although the exact dosing is yet to be determined, one vitamin K expert, Dr. Cees Vermeer, recommends between 45 mcg and 185 mcg of vitamin K2 daily for adults. You must use caution on the higher doses if you take anticoagulants, but if you are generally healthy and not on these types of medications, I suggest 100 mcg of vitamin K2 daily.

It is quite likely that doses of several times that amount are safe for the average person, but we just lack the research to confirm it at this time."

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I have been using Life Extension's Super K, taking one per day:
    You need k2, not plain K

However, I know that I have significant bone thinning, so if larger K2 doses are warranted to reverse this problem, I'm very interested to know more.
    Protecting Bone And Arterial Health With Vitamin K2 - Life Extension

In Japan, studies with osteoporotic women using 45mg/day of MK-4 have reported significant reductions in the rate of bone loss. (J Orthop Sci. 2001;6(6):487-492. and Annu Rev Nutr. 1995;15:1-22) A meta-analysis of seven Japanese randomized controlled trials indicated that MK-4 supplements increased bone mineral density and reduced fracture incidence. The studies indicated lowered risk for vertebral fractures by 60%, hip fractures by 77%, and nonvertebral fractures by 81%. (Arch Intern Med. 2006;166(12):1256-1261) A 45 mg/day dose of MK-4 supplements used in a 3-year placebo-controlled study of 325 postmenopausal women also found improved measures of bone strength compared to a placebo.(Osteoporos Int. 2007;18(7):963-972) In Japan, MK4 has been an approved medication for osteoporosis since 1995.
    Last edited by Adrianag; 09-19-2011 at 07:33 PM.

Nutrinick is offline Junior Member
    Thorne Research - Vitamin K2 Liquid 1 fl oz (30 ml) Another source its a great source for k2-

More info;
    Vitamin K2 appears to offer significant benefit for supporting bone health.* Although much of the vitamin K2 research has been conducted on postmenopausal support for bones, because vitamin K2 does not have any estrogenic effects, vitamin K2 also offers bone support for other populations, including anorexics, dialysis patients, individuals with Parkinson's disease, those who have cirrhosis of the liver, individuals who have had a bone marrow transplant, those immobilized after a stroke, and individuals on chronic steroid therapy.* thanks....

ultimatevitalitythorne44 is offline Junior Member
    It's important to mention that the forms of B12 used here are superior to the more common cyanocobalamin as they are more readily available for use by the body.

Beefy is offline Member
    Out of curiosity, why choose MK4 over MK7? Is there a $ savings or what?

I take MK7 since it stays in the body much longer than MK4, and thus only supplement once a day.

orielwen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've asked this before, and I'll say it again. Given that the highest natural source of MK4 we know (foie gras, which itself depends on farming) is only 350-odd g/100g, how could Grokka possibly have got hold of several milligrams of the stuff on a daily basis? I think there must be something we're missing here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast