Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting? You're Not Alone! page

magz213 is offline Junior Member

Cool Fasting? You're Not Alone!

Sometimes, it helps to know that you're not the only one IF-ing it today. Post for solidarity!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Just a mention - If fasting seems onerous then you probably aren't keteo adapted or ready to be playing with it yet. Hunger and discomfort are signs that you aren't efficiently catabolising your body fat.

Grok on IFers!
    ad astra per aspera

dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    I'm slowly expanding the amount of time between some meals. Frex, I went 14.5 hours between last night's last food and this morning's first. Yesterday, I had a big breakfast at 9:30 am and then ate dinner at 6 pm.

Have a great fast!

magz213 is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=TheFastCat;573180]Just a mention - If fasting seems onerous then you probably aren't keteo adapted or ready to be playing with it yet. Hunger and discomfort are signs that you aren't efficiently catabolising your body fat.

Interesting. But if hunger pangs were pleasant or comfortable, how else would your body let you know it would appreciate more fuel at some point, pleaseandthankyou? I feel like humans would never eat if they never experienced hunger signals, and that's not helpful to species survival at all. And how does one know one is efficiently catabolising body fat? Do the pangs disappear?

Also, fasting can seem a bit "into the unknown" for me, as I am coaching myself out of emotional eating. On days when I do, it helps for me to imagine all the other Grokkers in the world who are IFing that day, or that my mother is doing it with me, and it helps me to calm down and enjoy the benefits of a good cleansing 36-hr fast.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I'm around hour 16 of my daily ~20 hour fast.

I did a 40 hour fast this weekend and it felt good. I barely got hungry around my usual dinner time. My sleep was improved that night that I went without dinner, I'm pretty sure I lost a decent amount of body fat, and I just felt good. I'd like to make it a weekly (or at least every other week) practice, but I'm not sure if my lifestyle can accomodate it (frequently visiting family on the weekends).

Side note: I cooked a 1.5 pound package of bacon in the oven around 20 hours into my 40 fast. I did not eat one bite. I put it in the fridge and even scraped the grease from the pans and did not so much as lick my fingers. That took a decent amount of willpower, heh. But if I make up my mind that I'm fasting, it's pretty much a done deal.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Sleep is the main reason that I don't like going over 24 hours for a fast and don't do it unless I'm cutting. If I didn't have dinner then I won't be getting a good night's sleep that night.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I am doing my normal fast, but I ate a lot yesterday (lifting day/carb up) and wasn't active today yet (work, work, work), so I am for once not hungry around 1 pm, and thinking to wait till I am actually hungry before eating. 1 pm normally marks hour 17 for me, and I usually eat at that time.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Kenzington is offline Senior Member
    I did close to 17 hours between last night and this afternoon. Felt good! Think I'm making this a 2x a week thing and then I'll see from there where further improvements can be made!

RumbleRo is offline Member
    Good stuff, anyone joining me on Wednesday?
    Organic / Wild / Pasture fed - thats Primal.
    Primal is a step to a healthier, stronger, longer life with weight reduction as a side effect.
    Primal is not just a weight reduction tool.

JoPaleo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by magz213 View Post

Interesting. But if hunger pangs were pleasant or comfortable, how else would your body let you know it would appreciate more fuel at some point, pleaseandthankyou? I feel like humans would never eat if they never experienced hunger signals, and that's not helpful to species survival at all. And how does one know one is efficiently catabolising body fat? Do the pangs disappear?
    I believe as long as you are weight training properly, not losing strength and losing weight, you are losing fat and not muscle.

Check out Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon. He's done research on this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast