Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow Hunting page

Nix
    Nix is offline Senior Member

Bow Hunting

I am super excited to say that I just bought my first hunting bow. This year I am going to go all out Grok and hunt some deer. It will be my first time hunting ever. If you have any deer hunting tips I would love to hear them. In the next three weeks I will be completing all my hunter safety courses. Let's just hope I'm a good shot.
    Height: 5'2"
    Starting weight: 180lbs
    Current weight 130lbs

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Longbow? Curve? Compound? What did you get? What's the hunting like in S. Korea? Keep us all posted.

fishin-frog is offline Member
    Don't be too disappointed if you aren't able to kill a deer on your first bow hunt. It is extremely difficult. But, a successful hunt doesn't have to include killing. Enjoy being out amongst the wild things. There are too many tips to list here so I'll try to keep it simple, don't let them smell you or see you. Concentrate on one single hair through your sight and breathe. Have fun and good luck.

otzi Guest
    Practice, practice, practice. Learn your effective range, learn to judge distance at that range, or get a good range finder. Make sure you get the right arrow and braodhead combination, practice with field tips the same weight as your broadheads. Get an extra set of broadheads and practice with them, too. Don't practice with the broadheads you intend to hunt with--it will dull them. Really good broadheads to use are Muzzy's 125gr. Muzzy Products - Bad to the Bone

Are you in the military or an actual Korean?

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    I am super excited to say that I just bought my first hunting bow. This year I am going to go all out Grok and hunt some deer. It will be my first time hunting ever. If you have any deer hunting tips I would love to hear them. In the next three weeks I will be completing all my hunter safety courses. Let's just hope I'm a good shot.
    What? Really?

Basic tips: Get good binoculars, learn to stay still, learn to stay quiet, but above all, learn to not small like a human.

No smoking, no kimchee, nothing. You can spook a deer, and it can look right at you, then go back along it's business without a second thought, but if it smells you, it's gone.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    spend a LOT of time practicing, hours a day for weeks if you can handle it. you are getting a late start and you owe it to the deer to make sure you dont gut shoot it if you get a shot.
    bow hunting is short range, typically within 25 yds, binoculars and any telescopic sights are a waste. you need to learn where the deer go and then be there ahead of them, ideally in a tree stand 10-20 ft above the ground. If you can find a well used trail then put up a tree stand as soon as possible, get in that tree stand 30-45 minutes before the sun comes up and WAIT. hold still untill one comes down the trail.

davem is offline Senior Member
    well yeah, it's a waste if you're wasting your hunting time stand hunting. Not so much of a waste on a spot and stalk.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

JHen is offline Member
    I plan to do this myself, as well as turkey hunt.

wildwabbit is offline Senior Member
    If you are in the states now, alot of states have a *HUGE* feral pig problem. Needless to say, there are *tons* of free pork running around legally considered to be pest animals rather than game animals - meaning you can hunt them any day of the year (and night) for that matter. Might be harder than deer hunting though because they are low to the ground and only like to be out and about at night...

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wildwabbit View Post
    If you are in the states now, alot of states have a *HUGE* feral pig problem. Needless to say, there are *tons* of free pork running around legally considered to be pest animals rather than game animals - meaning you can hunt them any day of the year (and night) for that matter. Might be harder than deer hunting though because they are low to the ground and only like to be out and about at night...
    I've wanted to spear hunt a boar for a while now.... but I'm not a sporting man, rifle with scope if I ever have the free time ever again.

Also wonder about parasites and feral pigs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast