Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Body Fat page

cmpitre is offline Member

Body Fat

Shop Now
    So I am not sure if this has been addressed here or not (it probably has) but I will post anyways.

I am currently weighing in the 170 to 175 pound range at 15% body fat. I would like to drop down to 10% body fat but I would like to keep doing my SimpleFit workouts as well as staying around the same weight. I really do not want to drop below 170 because I eventually want to move back up to around 200 lbs at about 10% body fat.

Are these goal unrealistic first off (I know it won't happen overnight)?

Does anyone have any advice as to how I should go about dropping that 5% body fat and stay in the 170 range? If I do have to drop below 170 lbs how should I go about gaining the weight back without gaining the body fat?

Thanks
    Colby

Pre Primal
    January 2010
    215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
    170 LBS 36 in waist
    Goal (1) Look Great Naked (and visible abs)
    Goal (2) More defined muscles and functional strength
    Goal (3) Achieving Mastery level in Convict Conditioning

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I highly recommend Leangains (Intermittent fasting diet for fat loss, muscle gain and health). I don't think you necessarily have to drop weight to get to a lower bodyfat percentage. If you are willing to be patient and take things slowly, you can (in effect) gain (or at least maintain) muscle while losing fat. I say in effect because you can't do both (gain muscle lose fat) at the same instant, but you can do both over the course of a day. And if you do it right those infinitessimal daily changes will start to add up.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    this is definitely doable. i stayed the same weight while losing noticeable amounts of body fat...following either simplefit or mark's PBF. also, as yodiewan mentioned, fasting probably helped a bunch. diet is really the key when it comes to losing body fat. 10% isn't going to be an easy goal, but if you stay primal, work out hard, and consider fasting and carb refeeds you should hit it at some point.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmpitre View Post
    Does anyone have any advice as to how I should go about dropping that 5% body fat and stay in the 170 range? If I do have to drop below 170 lbs how should I go about gaining the weight back without gaining the body fat?
    First, do you have the genetics to pack on 30lbs of lean? Second, why not just go lift some heavy ass weights and see where your body composition ends up, rather than trying for some fantasized measurements? Three, why does losing fat and gaining lean have to be separate processes?

js290,
    Because thats what I want. It doesn't matter if its attainable, the point of the goal is to keep me working hard to try to attain it whether it is reachable or not.
    The point of the forum is to ask for advice so I am asking, I don't know why losing fat and gaining lean has to be a separate process. Can you tell me why it shouldn't be a separate process and how to do both at the same time.

i want to be at a certain bodyfat percentage because that is what I want, some people are fine just being where they are but I have a goal in mind and thats what I am sticking too.

I just wanted advice from the collective to see if anyone has any input on the subject.
    Colby

Pre Primal
    January 2010
    215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
    170 LBS 36 in waist

Carb refeeds!!

AceRimmer is offline Member
    It is hard but doable. Best way to do this is to follow some of the body recomposition protocols but with clean 'paleo' food. Google body opus, anabolic diet or if you want something more extreme and complicated - ultimate diet 2.O

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Colby, I second the Leangains suggestion. I stole many of my ideas from that web site, and starting from over 15% BF, I am now closing in on 10% body fat at about the same weight as you (if my scale is to be believed). The key elements in my experience:

1) Intermittent fasting. Skip breakfast daily.
    2) Lift really freaking heavy, in the 3-6 rep range. Don't succumb to the temptation to do cardio on your off days (although walking and similar slow movements are helpful).
    3) Cycle macronutrients: high-carb and low-to-moderate-fat on training days; super-high-fat and very-low-carb on recovery days. Protein always high (like 1g per pound of lean mass on average). Goes without saying your food choices should be primal (no grains, sugar etc.)
    4) Patience. It takes a long time. You wouldn't expect to double your bench press in a couple of weeks; losing body fat is no different (for most people anyway).

There's lots more good info on the Leangains web site. But in the end, it's not rocket science and you don't need to get everything perfect to get results. Just stay consistent and don't overtrain. Good luck, it's well worth your trouble!

Timothy,

Thanks for the input. I notice number 2 to LHT. I'm really into doing bodyweight exercises. Would it work the same. I've just started this simplefit program which is really neat. Instead of doing the progressions suggested in simplefit, I could do 3 days a week of the day 1 exercise then on the 4th day I could do the day 3 see if I am ready to move up to the next level.
    Colby

Pre Primal
    January 2010
    215 LBS 40 in waist

Today
    170 LBS 36 in waist

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast