Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hidden cost of weightloss... page

davem is offline Senior Member

Hidden cost of weightloss...

Primal Fuel
    None of my clothes are fitting right now, and I'm pissed. No, seriously.

My two new suits are now loose. They represent a $2k investment. My Chip and Pepper jeans, baggy and make me look like a hobo. My OR Parka and winter vests, all loose. My Arcteryx jacket, loose and baggy. FML.

I'm digging losing the weight, but man, I didn't think the budgetary impact through.

Yeah, I'm bitching about something good. Sue me. Or add your lamentations and vent it out.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Two thousand dollars on clothing... Have you learned your lesson?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Get those suits tailored! I have invested in belts.

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Hope you have a good tailor around! It is very easy to have something taken down to your new size... not so much the other way around!
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

Bane is offline Senior Member
    I hauled a couple garbage bags worth of clothes to the Salvation Army last year. My wardrobe is pretty damn small these days. I'm glad I've never owned a suit, man. 2 grand?!

SouthernDink is offline Senior Member
    Ya'll, $2k is nothing for some suits! Those things are expensive :/
    Have high hopes that journaling can keep me on track: www.southerndink.com If you are on twitter hit me up so we can keep each other motivated: http://twitter.com/SouthernDink

sister.in.iron is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane View Post
    I hauled a couple garbage bags worth of clothes to the Salvation Army last year. My wardrobe is pretty damn small these days. I'm glad I've never owned a suit, man. 2 grand?!
    In the man's defence... depending on the industry or business he is in, a very high quality (~$1000 +) suit would be required to "fit in" and be taken as credible. Anyone who has been made fun of for being fat (me included) realizes that appearances are important. If you agree with that or not... is maybe not as important as recognizing that it matters.

OP, I feel for you, hopefully you can take those suits in!

davem is offline Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure I can, but really, $2k for two suits isn't much. To give you an idea, it's like buying a pair of Lucky Brand jeans after upgrading from Levi or Lee. It's not high end, it's not the housebrand, but it's beginning of the middle of the road.

Alex, I have, my next suit is going to be once I hit my target and it's going to be a fully custom deal, probably could buy a used car with what I'm going to spend on that. In my industry you are either a startup founder in socks, sandals and shorts, a suit on the biz dev side (me) or one of the unwashed, unkempt developers. Back when I was a designer I was able to do my clothing shopping at PAX and E3 for free.

Tailors can do magic, but damn, the cost in clothes is ridiculous. Bane - I've been making a LOT of donations. I spent a little bit checking my winter jackets yesterday. I think it's actually a total loss. Small wardrobe is the way to go until you hit what you want.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    If you can't get them tailored, you could try to sell your suits to a consignment shop and mitigate some of the cost of new suits.

Also, yeah, what a problem to have! Congratulations!

Just remember, long term, about the cost savings on not being hooked up to a dialysis machine or having a quadruple bypass. That ought to make a new outfit a little more of a celebration and less of an obligation.

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    You are preaching to the choir buddy. 2 suits, a sport coat, 2 really nice pairs of slacks, leather jacket, belts, shirts, pants, jeans. I am on my 3rd set of everything and I think I am about to sink another pant size. In the past 2 years I have spent a ton on clothes but have kept it to the bare minimum so I wouldn't be throwing money away. Goodwill loves to see me coming.

I keep telling my wife that the time to buy another suit is coming but she still wants me to hold off. I really need to bite the bullet and get something off the rack just so I have something.

Enjoy it Dave and carlh is right in the long run you are ahead thousands of dollars.
    Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast