Thread: Kombucha! page

Unicorn is offline Senior Member

Kombucha!

Primal Fuel
    So I just tried some and really like it! But want to make it at home. What are your recipes/tips?

applecore is offline Junior Member
    It's extremely easy and much cheaper than spending nearly $4 a bottle... you basically need to get your hands on a kombucha "mushroom" either by finding someone in your area who already brews it (each batch creates a "baby"), or by creating one from a bottle of the store bought stuff (takes like a month). To make a batch you basically brew a gallon of tea with 1 1/2 cups sugar, and leave it in a dark pantry in a glass jar with the kombucha mushroom - covered - for at least two weeks. The longer you leave it, the more sugar it "eats" so it depends on how sweet/vinegar-y you like it (I generally do two weeks max otherwise it gets too potent for my taste). If you aren't into science experiments or aren't a fan of, ehh, fungus pancakes, this will probably creep you out though, just FYI. I think it's pretty cool

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Here is everything you n eed to know to make Kombucha on the cheap...

Starting your own Kombucha mother

for the record I haven't started this yet but am getting to Kombucha experiments myself

applecore is offline Junior Member

DIY Instructions

The directions at that link are accurate, albeit a little haphazard, but it would work. Here are excellent posts from my friend's blog:

How to create the "mushroom"
    (it's technically called a SCOBY).

How to brew the tea.

recursion is offline Junior Member
    Does it smell as it ferments? That's really my only concern.

bodhimama is offline Member
    It doesn't smell as it ferments.

I wrote a step by step on brewing:

How to Brew Kombucha at Home

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I used to have a continuous brew culture. Once it gets going it's pretty easy to care for, you just draw off a few bottles a week and top it off with fresh tea. Apparently it needs to ferment for 30+ days to get all the good stuff, but a straight 30+ day culture will taste like vinegar. I got my SCOBY from HappyHerbalist.com and it was definitely the best tasting booch (that culture "caught a mold" so i got some scoby's off of Ebay and they weren't quite as tasty). I would avoid starting a culture from GT Dave's because they tweaked their cultures to produce less alcohol, homemade is tastier anyway.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick