Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in the Middle with You, maybe? page

Savannah is offline Member

Stuck in the Middle with You, maybe?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This thread was almost called "Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!" because it's basically the lament of a middle child. I've found a bunch of threads for people with less than 15lbs to lose...and I've read a lot from posters who've dropped tons (no pun intended) of weight in the first few month, but started off with an extra +70lbs. I don't fit in either of those categories- I'm looking to drop 2 dress sizes and a few inches in measurements (I don't go by the scale because it psyches me out, but I'd guestimate about 20lbs)

I'm wondering if there are more primals like me out there, people who aren't at the "lean gains, carb cycling, shaving off the last few % of body fat" range but who aren't in the "1st few months eat all the fat you like, don't count calories, still come up with a deficit because of the greater amount to lose and drop 30lbs lickety-split" range either. People with between 15 to 40 pounds of extra weight, or who just want to drop 2-4 sizes. Is anyone else frustrated by not knowing which advice to follow? What are y'all doing to tailor Primal to our more moderate goals?

Am I the only Grok Jan out there?

sixtoesgirl is offline Member
    LOL I hear what you're saying. I am in that vague middle ground where I've lost about 40 lbs and my weight loss is stalling. I feel awesome but I want to keep up the momentum. I don't know exactly what to tweak at this point. Do I do a carb refeed? Am I eating too much fruit and nuts? I was eating these things when I dropped the most weight. Do I fast? I started CrossFit and my instructors tell me not to worry about it because I'm leaning up. However, I still have some issues in the stomach area.

Is there anyone out there that has been there/done that who has advice for us?

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Hey, I'm one of those middle-of-the road people. I need to lose about 15 more pounds. I'm not confused, though. I just keep plugging away, trying to stay Primal on a meal-by-meal basis, and the pounds are gradually sliding off. I had a 3 month stall this summer (end of May to end of August), due in part to traveling/less-than-perfect adherence to Primal, but I just stuck with it and continued to follow the PB to the best of my ability (*given the constraints of my weak will :-))

The advice is good. It works. If you are wondering about fruit or nuts, knock one out for a couple of weeks and see if things change.

The last few pounds will probably take longer than the first few. We have to be patient and look at the long term. The best news is that the food is delicious and satisfying. I don't go around starving all the time.
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I'm sort of in that category, I suppose. I'm not worried about scale weight, but I'm in a size 8 right now (except for pants thanks to the squatter booty) and want to get down to a 4-6, waist is at 28" and I'd like to get down to 25-26". I'm finding that the exercise piece is becoming fairly important--I see a difference in progress between the weeks when I get to the gym more as compared to some weeks over the summer when I slacked off.

This has to be combined with good primal eating. I am not doing VLC, but I do try to keep the carb intake at a reasonable level, in the 50-100 range generally (but I don't get hung up on the macros). I'll eat half a sweet potato or sometimes a banana on a Crossfit day, but I try to keep carby foods to the post-workout window most of the time. I've also started with IF--I feel okay doing that now, whereas I didn't earlier in my primal journey. I'm not doing any 24-hour fasts, instead deciding to do a 14-16 hour fast 5-6 days per week (not eating from dinner the night before until around 11 am the next day, although I do have coffee with a small amount of cream in the morning). I have read that for women, that appears to be the most effective time frame for fasting, and so far, it's working for me and has become pretty effortless.

I had been stalled out, but the combination of getting back to regular workouts with the IF has things moving again in terms of body composition. I think in the middle we need to find a strategy in between the two approaches. We need to be more conscious of the details than those who are at the beginning of trying to lose a lot of fat (when people tend to see those huge losses in their early weeks), but we don't need to get into the hardcore data crunching of those who are working on that ultra-lean, very low body fat percentage range.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    LOVE this thread and the name!

I lost 30 pounds easily on primal (and 20 before that slowly, by gradually making small changes), but have now been stalled for a few months. Would like to lose at least 15 more, and *especially* get rid of the lower abdomen belly. But I've hidden my scale and measuring tape for now because they make me go a little bit crazy.

I've realized I need to be more 100%, less 80/20 to see results at this point. I exercise regularly but I don't think it's helped my fat loss. Perhaps because I need to up the intensity of my strength training (I do bodyweight stuff, would like to start barbell lifting soon) and sprints (recently got an interval timer to help with that). I also used to have PCOS and insulin resistance, so I wonder if part of it for me is lingering hormonal problems, and whether something like the leptin reset would help (but I find the whole thing kind of sketchy, so instead I'm just trying to follow the general principles of 3 meals a day/no snacks/more emphasis on protein/as low carb as possible -- that last part I struggle with).

TheDarkMistress is offline Senior Member
    Not to hijack this thread, but...

I'M A SENIOR MEMBER now! Hooray! The member gods are smiling.

*back to regularly scheduled programming*
    cj

height: 5' 10 1/2"
    2/20/11: 210
    9/19/11: 185.5
    goal: #170

"Decide what to be, and go be it."

Savannah is offline Member
    Lol, congrats on your 'promotion' TheDarkMistress & thanks for the sensible advice-- In the bad ol' days (e.g. before primal) I was one of those crazes who did the Master Clease 2/3 times a year (which made me SUPER pleasant to be around--what's the emoticon for irony?) so I'm used to seeing a dramatic reduction really quickly (of course it all came back as soon as I started, well, eating again). "Just keep plugging away because it works" is a very new concept for me, but one I think I need to embrace.

@spakesneaker: what bodyweight exercises do you do? I'm the same way-- I take Bar Meathod classes 5x a week (it's like a cross between pilates & ballet with mostly isometric movements) and was debating adding in some heavier lifting & sprints to my regime. I will if you wil Also: holy grok, 50lbs is an amazing change! *serious golf clap*

@Owly: That moderate approach is what I've been coming around to as well. IF gives me a bit of MasterCleanse flashbacks, but if I'm reading it right it's basically just having 2 meals instead of 3? I think I'll try to add that in; I'm not a snacker so just skipping breakfast and eating lunch and dinner doesn't seem too onerous.

This thread already has some great ideas and support! I fricken love this forum

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    I'll concur with the suggestion to IF. I had been adhering pretty well to the PB diet for over a year, and not overeating, with not an ounce of fat loss, which was really frustrating. The very first day that I started IFing, I immediately felt the fat melting off! It was amazing. For me, if I'm not IFing, I'm not losing any fat. But YMMV.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the same boat, having dropped 30 pounds in a few months and then stalled out due to a combination of lack of compliance and a VERY loose exercise schedule for nearly a year. I just started a Primal Journal to help keep myself on track, cut way back on dairy, fruit and nuts, and am ramping up my exercise scxhedule as well. We'll see how it goes!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

smartierthanthou is offline Junior Member
    *waves* I'm a moderate.

Started with an easy 25lb weight loss and have tapered down a bit to a steady 1.5 -2.5 lb a week loss and the occasional 'whoosh' of body recomposition.

The great part is that this point- 8 weeks in- is where I would normally get frustrated and bored and I feel motivated and patient for the results. It's really the first time I've 'got' the WOE into my head instead of crash dieting and insane workouts.

My biggest tip would be the sleep/ sun connection. It's made a huge difference in staying on track!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast