Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stuck in the Middle with You, maybe? page 5

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinC View Post
    Yay! A thread for middle children! (I actually am the middle child, so I relate to Jan in more wasy
    As for IF, I have the best success when I eat breakfast and lunch and maybe a mid-afternoon snack, and then stop eating again till the next morning. My workouts are in the evening, so I consider the food I eat all day "fuel" for that, and then I have no need to eat afterward. I can correct a bad weekend of eating, partying, and general non-compliance-to-the-lifestyle in about 2 days of adhering to this eating schedule. It winds up being about a 15-hour fast, just kind of flipped on its head. I fall off the wagon on Thursdays and Fridays - my rest days, where I don't go to the gym after work. On those days, I eat right up until bedtime, it seems. I think if I made these two nights my "move slowly" nights and went for a long walk in the evenings, I could probably get ahead of the game. As of right now, I don't do any "moving slowly" at all. Winter is coming quickly up here, so I'll invest in some warm winter outerwear and make walking part of my game plan. I think it just might be the trick to get the fat moving.
    I fully believe IFing by skipping dinner is much better than skipping breakfast! I think a lot of people that are Leptin- and insulin-resistant could really mess their circadian clock and hormones up by skipping breakfast. I skip dinner to when I IF, but I genuinely never feel hungry for dinner-time anymore. I eat 3-4 nights a week though, because I like to mix things up.
    I think you could add two more "rules" in order to lose the last 10: maybe never eat after 7.30 pm, and add more walking? Who knows, it might just be the magic bullet.

Paleobird Guest
    I totally agree that breakfast is essential. I think a lot of people rebel against breakfast and love being given "permission" by IFing gurus to skip it. The CW about breakfast being the most important meal of the day is not wrong, it's just that the definition of "breakfast" got bastardized from a good bacon and eggs protein start to the day into being Cocopuffs and pop-tarts.

If you already have a body like Martin at Leangains or close to it, you can do just about anything you want to it and not cause much harm. I really think that too many seriously overweight people jumped on the whole IF bandwagon however and can really mess themselves up even further. But Martin has such pretty abs. If I skip breakfast I will have abs like that too. Um. Probably not.

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    oh, and for whatever it is worth, here is our "fish and chups" recipe. it may not fit into YOUR primal yet, but it's on our menu weekly:

ground almonds, spice blend of choice, fresh green herb of choice

fish of choice

egg

butter

take fish and wash it, then dip in egg and then dip in ground almonds that's been mixed with spice mix and chopped green herb (also, we like to use seaweed here, it's nice). put butter in the pan and let it melt (coconut oil also works well), and then put the fish in. The butter-to-heat ratio needs to be experimented with by you, so that the crust doesn't get burnt but the fish gets cooked. you'll find your way. let it get golden brown on one side (2-5 minutes depending upon heat-to-butter ratio), and then flip it to finish cooking.

---

we like to serve this with several things. people like kale chips, and we make those but it in a cauliflower and parsnip (or turnip, depending upon what we have) mash with a smidge of horseradish as well. it gives it a nice mashed potato/"chups" feel and flavor, without being off-limits.

in addition, we serve some form of green veggies. it really depends upon what we have -- this week we had brussels sprouts. i like to carmelize them with some leeks and butter and then salt/pepper and sometimes a bit of all natural mustard. if they are naturally sweet, then no need to add honey, but a tiny bit of honey (like a fingertip or 1/4 teaspoon) is more than enough for several sprouts! It just cuts the bitter a bit.

So, that's me for fish and chups. I also make a home made ginger ale -- fizzy water, ginger either steeped and then a bit of honey and lemon or ginger and lemon juice with a bit of honey and the fizzy water. stevia would also work here. it's not 'beer' but it's nice to get some fizz.

anyway. . .
    "A chup? Potato chup?"
    "Naw bru I only eat plank-ton."
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and my other reply that I dont think was mentioned so far but I was kinda skimming so excuse me if it was: are you on hormonal birth control? Ive heard from other blogs that sometimes that can be the last niggling bit that keeps the abdominal fat hanging in there. Im also in the Middle Child Crowd (5'9", went from 178 to currently around 155 in 3 months) but my goal is really to have smoother, firmer abs like I have *always* admired in other women. To this end, I decided to bite the bullet and get an IUD (copper, not progestin) and get off hormonal BC for the first time in years. So far the ab-fat is still there, but im figuring that itll take a few weeks, if not months, for my normal hormones to balance out, and then well see if that changes things.
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    here, it's the accent: fush and chups is how it sounds, and thus often how it is spelled. of course, it means fish and chips, and chips, of course, are french fries.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    here, it's the accent: fush and chups is how it sounds, and thus often how it is spelled. of course, it means fish and chips, and chips, of course, are french fries.
    It's hilar! A girl in my mothers group is Kiwi and boy do I tease her with the fush and chups! Lol

Another thing for belly-fat: make sure you sleep well, cortisol equals belly-fat. When my sister started walking 2 hours daily she went from normal slim to actual visible abs. Just a thought. (wonder when I'll have 2 hours spare daily for walks. When the youngest start school in 2016 maybe?)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345