Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BeckaSkiís Mission to Get In Shape for Ski Season and Life page 2

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It starts out slowly, gently, a little dry skin rubbing against each other as one moves. The more movement, or the faster, a little sweat starts to lubricate and cause sticking all at the same time. Just a bit more movement and it degenerates into rough red, stinging, painful: inner thigh chub-rub. Itís one of the number 1 reasons I didnít wear skirts in high school and college. They day they came out with spanx, I was ecstatic. I didnít necessarily care about keeping my tummy in place, but my poor inner thighs would be sheathed in protection and rub against each other without harm. I wished I could wear them with athletic shorts. Then I discovered compression shorts. Oh! The joy! ďYes, I find that they really support my musclesĒ Iíd tell people. Really, itís to prevent inner thigh chub rub. Rue the day I forgot my compression shorts for ultimate practice. This has been on my mind lately since it has been humid in Seattle this week, and at my ultimate game Friday night and yesterday afternoon, I sweated through my compression shorts, and they started to move around, not providing the protection Iíve grown accustomed to. Word on the street from similar figured people I know is that a little foot powder down the shorts really helps things out. Next timeÖ

B - Aidellís chicken sausage with pineapple and bacon, 2 egg whites, cappuccino with whole milk
    L Ė 4 oz wild caught coho salmon (by my husband, yesterday), mixed veggie salad with tomato, cucumber, carrot, radish, celery
    S Ė honeycrisp apple after frisbee
    D Ė Butter Chicken Curry from the blog, Ĺ cup brown rice (for social reasons). Small handful of grapes, 2 glasses of Syrah

Protein: 126g
    Carbs: 126g
    Fat: 92 g
    Total Calories: 2056
    Calories Burned: 3092

Weigh in day today, and the end of 4 weeks of primal eating. Thereís no doubt in my mind that Iím going to stick with this for a good long time. Yes, itís a little late to the game, but I think itís time for some measurements. Sure, these wonít be a true ďbeforeĒ, but I still have far enough to go, that significant progress can be made.

Weight: 202 lbs (was 212lbs 4 weeks ago) HOLY CRAP! 10 lbs in a month!
    Body Fat (using handheld bioelectric impedance): 36.3%
    BMI: 32.6
    Pant Size: 14 or so, now, 16 was cozy 4 weeks ago
    Circumferences:
    Neck: 13.5 in
    Bicep: 13 in
    Forearm: 10 in
    Chest: 42in
    Waist (at belly button): 37 in
    Hip: 46 in
    Thigh: 27 in
    Calf: 17 in

Despite wanting to be in shape for ski season, the ďand lifeĒ part of the title of this journal will last a lot longer than any given winter. I think I need some goals. ďGet in shapeĒ is a great goal, but itís not very concrete. I donít like the idea of having a specific weight in mind, since the scale can fluctuate so much over the course of a day, week, and even month. Itís a good tracking tool, but I donít want to have all of my success tied to it. Long term health is my goal, but again, thatís not very concrete. Instead, I think Iíll shoot for:

Healthy Body Fat: 21-24%
    Healthy BMI: (which corresponds to 115 - 154 lbs for my height)
    Size 8 pants (or maybe less, I have no idea what itís going to be like when I get to a healthy weight)

I would love to lose an inch or so in my calves. I know thatís a weird thing to care about, and thereís no way to target losses, but my ski boots will be so much more comfortable if that happens.

B Ė Aidellís garlic & gruyere chicken sausage, cappuccino with whole milk
    L Ė 4 oz Turkey, cucumber, celery, 1 oz almond butter
    D Ė Greek Meatza (First meatza Iíve made, not totally sure about it. This wasn't a flavor of pizza I'd usually eat, so that may be clouding my view. It was tasty, but I'm not sure it was rave worthy.)
    S Ė Greek yogurt with one scoop of protein powder

Protein: 136g
    Carbs: 47 g
    Fat: 88 g
    Total Calories: 1540
    Calories Burned: 3060

I didnít do any official exercise today, Iím pretty stiff from the double workout Friday (personal training and ultimate) and ultimate yesterday. Ran a few errands, did a couple loads of laundry, packed for travel tomorrow, and worked on some miscellaneous house projects that required numerous trips up and down the stairs. Iím surprised just how many calories puttering around all day burned.

Every time I go through an airport I end up hot, sweaty, and disheveled. Iím not sure how it happens. Iím a frequent flier, I usually leave myself enough time, my bags arenít too heavy, I know everything I have to remove for the TSA to avoid a groping. Yet every. single. time. I emerge from security all flustered. I think it must have something to do with the pressure of feeling like I have to do it all at warp speed. The Oatmeal describes it best in this comic.

B Ė Aidellís garlic & gruyere chicken sausage, pluot (plum/apricot hybrid, super tasty), cappuccino with whole milk
    L Ė leftover meatza from last night, honeycrisp apple
    D Ė Taco salad, which came on a bed of chips I didnít eat, it was short on lettuce, high on chips, pretty unhappy with the situation.

Protein: 103 g
    Carbs: 75 g
    Fat: 78 g
    Total Calories: 1410
    Calories Burned: 2420

In addition to my airport scamper, I ran around a little bit at work checking on things, and then went grocery shopping after dinner. Iím trying out a new hotel, this one with a simple kitchen. It should make eating a whole lot easier for the next week and a half. Looking forward to getting back into the gym tomorrow. Also, to go with my goals post from yesterday, I pasted photos from 4 weeks ago and yesterday together. I really donít enjoy taking progress photos, but already Iím glad I did. It is nice to really be able to see the difference in my shape.

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    Funny how only ten pounds can create such a change in one's figure. What a difference you made in one month!

Sleep has been really problematic for me lately. The issue comes in pieces, but mostly related to the amount I travel. I get used to sleeping by myself in a big bed, dark and quiet room for 10-12 days at a time. Then, I fly home, get in late (11:30-12:00), try to hop in bed right away and go to sleep, but I canít turn my brain off from the travel and things I need to do, and how early I have to get up in the morning to make it to the office on time. It also breaks my normal routine of shower, stretching, reading before bed. To top it off, DH is generally lying there, sleeping blissfully, either breathing loudly or snoring. There are not words to describe the agony of being exhausted, wanting and trying desperately to sleep, and being unable to while having to listen to someone else sleep contentedly. Iíve come up with a few ways to try to fix the transition to sleeping at home that Iíll try out next week.
    1. Shower before bed like I do normally, maybe quick, but get it done
    2. Donít plan to go to the office the morning after a late flight. Take the morning or whole day off and sleep until I wake up.

When Iím traveling, itís a different set of problems because I donít have easy internet access during the day, so I crack out on it at night and find myself up way past a reasonable time to go to bed. Over the summer I was having problems too because it was light almost 24 hours/day, so I never got the daylight cues to go to bed. Itís not such a problem now, but I still get sucked into doing more work or surfing the internet after I get home from the gym and have dinner. So for now, Iíve set an alarm on my phone for about an hour before I want to go to bed to remind me to get on with my bedtime routine shower, stretching, and a little reading in bed. Hopefully it will help me get my sleep better under control.

B Ė Wasnít hungry, but it was cold, so I had my usual cappuccino with whole milk
    L Ė Spinach salad with turkey, tomato, cucumber, celery, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, shallot
    D Ė Last piece of leftover meatza, and some cheesecake that jumped in my cart when I was at the grocery store searching for hot pads. Stupid cheesecake. I donít feel well now.

I went to the gym today with a plan to do a big leg workout today since I managed to sleep on my shoulder wrong and it and my neck are really sore today (hence the heatpad purchase that lead to cheesecake later in the day). I crapped out partway through my workout (tired, shoulder pain), but still did:

Front box jumps 3x10 on an 18Ē box
    Side box jumps 2x10 each direction on a 12Ē box
    Backward lunges with furniture sliders
    Squats
    Dead Lifts

Protein: 90 g
    Carbs: 92 g
    Fat: 93 g
    Total Calories: 1560
    Calories Burned: 2800

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Great job on your progress already!

Your journal cracks me up - I think the idea of taking your salad for a hike is hysterical You could make a BAS version of Where's Waldo!

I once made a snide comment to my sister about how she must be a real runner now because she has spandex running shorts. She looked at me like I was crazy and said "they are so my thighs don't rub together you moron". Whoops, I had no idea! (Not because my thighs don't rub together, but because I hate to run)
    Last edited by jammies; 09-27-2011 at 09:45 PM.

sixpack-rc is offline Senior Member
    Arch! The chaffing! I hate it. But I was just noticing the other day that it has subsided a lot since going primal and the permanent sores I had there are healing!?!

IDK why but I think it has to do with better oil in the skin.

Weird. I know it's not only the weight. I have had trouble with it since college when I weighed 50 lbs less than I do now. I just thought it was ski racer thighs.

~rc

I don't like to run either, but I do for frisbee. Once I started wearing compression shorts, I found I just can't stop. I feel really naked in regular gym shorts without them. Maybe because a lot of my shorts are ultimate shorts, which tend to be baggy and thin. It is a serious challenge to put on just my outer shorts and work out without compression shorts if I've forgotten them. I'll go without socks first. Or a proper sport bra. I do like the way the hold my belly in a little. I generally wear them a little higher than they are in the photo, generally pulled up as high as I can.

Interesting about the decreased chafing with potentoally better skin oil sixpack-rc. I may have to start small with a skirt without shorts or something one of these days to see what happens to me. Though I'm totally blaming you if I get chub-rub.

Not a very exciting day today. My shoulder still hurt when I woke up this morning, so Iíve been babying it a bit. I headed to the gym this afternoon for 30 minutes of elliptical and was reminded that I need to start taking my gym clothes into work with me instead of leaving them in the car. Putting clothes that are only 45 degrees on my nice warm body isnít much fun. Sure in a few months there will be a minus in front of that 4, but I have to start getting in the habit now.

B Ė Protein shake and aidellís chicken garlic and artichoke sausage. No coffee, running late
    L - Spinach salad with turkey, tomato, cucumber, celery, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, shallot
    D Ė Spaghetti squash, pork tenderloin
    S Ė Dark chocolate covered almonds, 6 oz red wine (some weird French variety. I am forced to make my selections by the availablity of a screw top at the moment).

Protein: 129 g
    Carbs: 70 g
    Fat: 96 g
    Total Calories: 1770
    Calories Burned: 2720

PrimalCon New York
    Today I gave myself permission to not go to the gym or do anything active. I was cold and tired at the end of the day and really didnít feel up to it. The CW part of my brain that is still stuck in chronic cardio mode was convinced that I should go and power through it. But no. My shoulder still hurts from sleeping on it wrong on Monday, but it is much better. Iím trying to figure out why I was cold all day. I work inside, the heat is on (set to the 60 the misers that run the place keep it), I was wearing similar clothes to what I usually wear and the same amount of activity, but I was freezing all day. In anticipation of the same temperatures tomorrow, after work I went and browsed an outdoor store that carries a ton of my favorite style of sweaters. The ďIím a cool city sweater, but Iíve got your back if youíre stranded in the wildernessĒ style. They were having a sale and it was all I could do to not buy a bunch of them. I donít know where my size is going to end up, and theyíre not cheap sweaters, so I donít want a bunch of too big sweaters. I did buy one, it fits a little more cozy than I care for, but itís zippy, so I can wear it open for now, then zip it when I get smaller.

B Ė Protein shake and aidellís chicken garlic and artichoke sausage. No coffee, running late
    L - Spinach salad with turkey, tomato, cucumber, celery, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, shallot
    S Ė Apple pie Lara bar (when I still was going to force myself to go to the gym)
    D Ė Spaghetti squash, pork tenderloin (leftovers, chopped and all stirred together with some cumin and butter)
    S Ė Dark chocolate covered almonds (fewer than yesterday), 5 oz red wine.

Protein: 129 g
    Carbs: 75 g
    Fat: 89 g
    Total Calories: 1720
    Calories Burned: 2600

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast