Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: BeckaSkiís Mission to Get In Shape for Ski Season and Life page 14

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Rafting over the weekend was a blast! I didn’t get to take any pictures while rafting because I was constantly rowing. The river is a great whitewater run, with lots of obstacles and big waves (at least in proportion to the size of the river) and requires constant rowing since there aren’t any eddys to pull over in with the river running bank full. Hopefully my passengers snagged a few. Camping was great too – grilled salmon, steak, corn, and broccoli for dinner. We got treated to some thundershowers Saturday night. I know most people would be unhappy about this, but having grown up with thunderstorms in Colorado, I really miss them living in Western Washington where there just aren’t any. The storms were the perfect sort too, loud and grumbly, without too much rain – so I didn’t have to worry about the tent leaking.

The physical therapist wants me to start pushing my knee a little bit. Doing one new type of activity (impact, rotation, full range of motion, etc) each day so I can figure out which things it can handle. Yesterday with the therapist, I did some lateral agility work and some step-ups on a box. Then did some cycling with more resistance, intervals, and standing climbs at the gym. All of that worked out pretty well. I also stopped by the MRI center to get a disc of my images. I think MRI technology is amazing. It’s so neat that you just hang out in this machine and they can take pictures of your insides from all sorts of angles. Boggles the mind. Here’s one of mine, just since I think they are so cool. In looking at the images, I can clearly see that my ACL and PCL are intact (hooray!) but I don’t know how to identify the cartilage damage that’s causing my woes. I have a follow up appointment with my doctor next month, so maybe she can show me then.

Last edited by BeckaSki; 09-12-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: image tag malfunction

Last week I was acutely jealous of the leftover lasagna someone had in the fridge at work for their lunch. ACUTE jealousy. I nearly stole the lasagna and ran away to scarf it down sort of jealous. Luckily, I realized I would be a horrible person for stealing someone elseís lunch, and Iíd be in a mid-afternoon coma from the noodles, so I ate my salad instead. But the call of the lasagna continued. It didnít occur to me to search the forums for a recipe until after Iíd already concocted this beauty:

Didnít matter though, since my primal lasagna was so good, and now itís in the fridge at work tempting others. Mwahahaha.

Lasagna:
    Cook:
    1 lb ground beef
    Stir in:
    1 jar pre-made tomato sauce (I used ariabatta sauce with San Marzano tomatoes and no crap in it)

Mix together:
    16 oz ricotta cheese
    1 cup mozzarella cheese
    Ĺ cup parmesan cheese
    2 eggs
    oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, as desired

Slice (used the mandolin on the thinnest setting):
    1 zucchini
    1 yellow squash

Layer:
    Meat sauce
    Squash
    Cheese mixture

Repeat until ingredients are gone.

Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes or so until it seems done. It was a little juicy, and in hindsight, salting the zucchini and squash and letting it drain a bit would have helped, but oh well, I like a little sauce in my lasagna.

Saturday I participated in the Hell Run, which is a 5K obstacle course much like the more famous Warrior Dash which I did in August in Colorado. It was a lot of fun, more muddy than the Warrior Dash. My trainer and two of his other clients and I ran together, which was great. The woman in our group is making some awesome progress (not sure what she's eating) and has lost 75 lbs since she started exercising, and the guy has lost about 30.

I cut 17 minutes off my time with the Warrior Dash (hooray for running closer to sea level instead of at 9,200 ft!) My knee did reasonably well, which was a pleasant surprise. I figured I would have to walk the whole thing, but when I started jogging it felt ok, so I stuck with it. It did get a little sore with some of the crouching and crawling obstacles, so I iced it well and loaded up on ibuprofen when I got home and it seems to be back to where it was (not better, still injured, but not awful) now.

Mud and hard contacts don't mix. Next time I do one of these, I'm wearing my prescription sunglasses.

Yesterday I didn't feel like exercising, so I dind't. I went home and did some of my physical therapy stretches, then had dinner and went to bed early. I've been sleeping poorly lately, which greatly reduces my motivation for the gym.
    B - scrambled eggs, coffee
    L - leftover lasagna
    D - venison stew, red wine, dark chocolate
    Protein: 123g (31%)
    Carb: 60 g (16%)
    Fat: 86 g (53%)
    Calories In: 1590
    Calories Out: 2160
    Last edited by BeckaSki; 09-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.

I have been hanging out on a plateau in the mid-upper 170ís all summer long which has been profoundly frustrating. I realized recently that some of the pants Iíve been wearing to work, the slightly too big ones, were purchased for job interviews at the end of college, 7 years ago. I didnít gain much weight in college (graduate school and my first years of work took care of that), so thereís a solid chance that this plateau is a place my body knows how to be stable. When I lost weight the CW way a few years ago, this weight is where I bottomed out as well.

Iíve been thinking with the entrenchment of this particular plateau, perhaps I need to do something different, so Iíve expanded my twitter following and blog-reading to the sports nutrition/figure competition world (which is a controversial and wild place - if you thought some of the factions in the Primal/Paleo circle were warringÖhoo boy, stay out of the sports nutrition arena). Donít get me wrong, at 30% body fat and my limited skill set, Iím not an elite athlete or aspiring figure model, but my activity level and training regime are a lot closer to that of an athlete than of someone who is obese, sick, and has a malfunctioning metabolism. I donít feel generally unwell the way I did before I first started eating Primal. I actually feel really awesome, but Iím not seeing the results on the scale/mirror/pants size (name your vanity measurement device of choice). Since fitness is 80% or more what we put in our mouths (as Mark and others say), perhaps I need to adjust what I put in my mouth to fit the reality of my life now? And since Iím more of an athlete than the broadest ďdiet planĒ audience (which Mark admits the PB is written for) maybe I need something different?

I brought this up to my Trainer last week, since when I started training with him in February; I told him I wanted to lose 30 lbs this year. Iím about 1/3 of the way through that, but I have been STUCK. Trainer was pleasantly surprised that Iím ready to listen to his philosophy on nutrition, since I havenít been up to this point. He comes from a high-level MMA background, and eats really well. Like MMA is a blend of fighting styles, he doesnít assign himself to one particular eating style, beyond ďcleanĒ, but I have a reasonable amount of faith in what heís coming up with since weíve talked and hung out enough that I know how he eats. I told Trainer that he was never going to convince me to start eating grain, (which is the opposite the problem he has with a lot of clients) and that Iím willing to adjust my current typical macronutrient profile (35% protein, 55% fat, 10% carbs), and Iím fairly willing to adjust my meal timing, but Iím not super keen on fasting based on my limited n=1 experimentation on the subject.

So I have an appointment with him this afternoon Ė general training, but Iím also expecting to get my marching orders on nutrition. I have a pretty strong suspicion heís going to want me to cut out dairy, and eat more carbs (maybe even rice? that could be awesome, I love a good stir-fry). Other than that (like the ratio of macronutrients in the diet is no big deal), it seems like thereís not a whole lot to change. Iíve already done the hard work of cutting out the non-primal stuff out of my diet.

We shall seeÖ

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314