Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: BeckaSkiís Mission to Get In Shape for Ski Season and Life page 13

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Welcome back! I have missed you around here!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, honeybuns. I thought of you a couple of weeks ago while I was hiking in the North Cascades. It would have been too hot for your taste, but the views were incredible!

Last week and the long weekend were pretty uneventful. I went to eastern Washington to hang out with some friends and ended up having gin for dinner on Saturday night. It was fun, but Sunday wasnít so much. I would have made better choices if I was able to go out and enjoy the great weather we are having, but little flap of cartilage in my knee says no. So if I canít go out and hike, bike, walk, recreate, why not stay in and get super drunk? Iím not allowed to return to activity until I have full range of motion with no pain, which is very much not the case. I start physical therapy later this week. Hopefully it will help, but Iím not banking on it.

Back in the real world, Iím making smarter choices. Iíve been eating a lot of duck eggs lately, since we can get them with our CSA. Breakfast today was a scrambled duck egg and a latte. Lunch will be a salad with bacon, avocado, tomato, and blue cheese dressing (sort of like a BLT sandwich, but different). Dinner will be shrimp Florentine, minus the pasta. I was sorting through my recipie collection recently and realized that I donít have to toss stuff out just because of the pasta/rice/grain, I can make the sauce a bit thicker and eat it with a spoon or find more veggies to put in it. The shrimp Florentine will be my first experiment along these lines, hopefully it works out ok. Iím planning to head to the gym this afternoon to do as much lifting as I can. Iím envisioning, negative pull ups with the smith machine (feet on the ground) balanced with inclined push-ups. Maybe some dead lifts, upright rows, and overhead presses (should probably just combine that into one explosive movement, knee would be mad though). Back extensions would be great, along with some exercise ball ab work. It feels so wrong to focus on my upper body in the fall Ė itís time to get in shape for ski season.

Oh, how I envy you that view! You are right, though. If I try to hike in the heat, it is torture rather than enjoyment. Where is the fun in that?
    Once in a while, getting drunk with someone you enjoy can be fun. It is the morning after that isn't too fun!

And the whole rest of the day after... considering how much gin we drank...ugh. I may be off it for awhile.

I followed through on my gym plans. It's weird to be quick in and out of the gym with no real warm-up (not supposed to run, bike, elliptical, or walk much, so what else is there?)

The spinach florentine experiment turned out amazing. I'm already looking forward to throwing a few cherry tomatoes in with the leftovers for lunch. This is also handy since most of the ingredients are things that we keep in the freezer, so it can be a good poor planning dinner.

Shrimp Florentine with Caramelized Garlic - from Cooking Light (issue unknown):
    Garlic:
    1/2 tsp salt
    20 cloves garlic, peeled
    Olive Oil.

Preheat oven to 350
    Combine garlic, salt, olive oil, put in roasting pan, and roast in oven for 25+ minutes until browned, stirring occasionally.

Shrimp:
    olive oil
    1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 tbsp butter
    3/4 c half-and-half
    1/2 c chicken broth
    1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
    1/8 tsp black pepper
    2 c frozen loose leaf spinach, thawed, drained, squeezed dry

1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillent over medium-high heat. Sautee shrimp until done, remove from pan.
    2. Melt butter in pan over medium heat, stir in half-and-half, broth, cheese, salt, peppers. Cook until cheese melts, stirring constantly.
    3. Stir in shrim, spinach, and roasted garlic until everything is warm.
    4. Serve as is in a bowl.

Or perhaps with some roasted spaghetti squash? Or with some fresh tomato? Or...

I was a little fast and loose with my spices, way more on both peppers, and over on the cheese

FWIW, nutrition for the day:
    Protein: 120 g
    Carbs: 55 g
    Fat: 115 g
    Calories: 1725
    Calories burned: 2100 (being injured is putting a huge cramp in my calorie burning style)
    Last edited by BeckaSki; 09-04-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Nutrition

I worked out an awesome trade with my colleague. His wife raises chickens in a pasture by their house. My husband is an avid fisherman (the salmon are coming in now). And so we traded. He brought me 3 chickens that just last week were wandering outside doing chicken-y things, and I brought him the filets from the last 2 fish the hubs caught and some of last year’s smoked leftovers. I’m pretty excited about eating those chickens.

Yesterday I broke the doctor’s orders and went for a swim. I did 1500 yards (or maybe meters, not sure of the units on the pool) in 30 minutes utilizing both arms and the good leg for freestyle. I’m thrilled that with only 3 functioning appendages I can still swim fast enough to pass the Red Cross lifeguard exam.

This morning was my first physical therapy appointment with the knee injury. I’m seeing the same PT that I saw 4 years ago when I had what can only be described as “flu of the knees.” They were both constantly achy and painful with any movement. Turned out I had a significant weakness in my gluteus medius which was causing tracking problems, and some hard work sorted it out. She was thrilled at how strong my glutes are and noted that I don’t have any muscle imbalance, which is awesome. She evaluated the stability of my injured knee – and found it stable ligament-wise. With the strength and stability I currently have, she wants to see the MRI images (which the doctor forgot to send over, grrr) before prescribing any exercise. She also encouraged me to cycle and start lifting again, with pain as my guide, to make sure I don’t lose any of my strength. Hooray for being allowed to move again!

I wasn’t hungry last night after swimming, which is bizarre, but I ate some dinner anyway since I had to cook some meat to be able to have it in my salad today.

B – 2 scoops protein powder, 1 scoop peanut butter powder (oh yes!), 1 TBSP heavy cream
    L – leftover shrimp Florentine
    D – Ground lamb, avocado, sour cream

Yesterday’s totals:
    Protein: 157
    Carb: 68
    Fat: 132
    Calories in: 2076
    Calories Out: 2356

Today’s food:
    B – duck egg and latte
    L – salad with lamb, olives, feta, tomato, cucumber, celery, olive oil & vinegar
    D – probably going to be some steak and sweet potato after the gym. Hooray for the gym!

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Oh Beckaski, I love reading about your food, it sounds delicious and your photos of the awesome views are so inspiring.

Thanks Annieh! You've got some pretty delicious views down in NZ, yourself. My husband and I visited the South Island for our honeymoon in the August of 2007. We did our best to ski despite the lackluster winter, and spent much of the trip agog over the scenery. We keep threatening to go back in the spring or fall to do a bunch of hiking.

Cycling at the gym was such a joy today. I went slow with low resistance, just spinning along as directed, but it was so nice to be moving. If I get this crazy about not being active for 2 weeks, I'm not sure how I could handle a serious injury. I'm sure I would, of course, but I would be cranky.

Dinner tonight was actually a beef/bacon/cheddar burger patty. I wasn't super hungry, and the steak can easily marinate another day.

Nutrition for the day:
    Protein: 102 g
    Carbs: 28 g
    Fat: 137 g
    Calories In: 1775
    Calories Out: 2500

I posted a video of me skiing (deep powder on rockered skis) to my Facebook page (I'm so ready for winter), and my high school ski racing coach corrected my technique in the comments. I laughed so hard because ski technology and geometry has changed so much and the conditions called for a completely non-race techniqe that her comments were just totally out of touch. So now I think we're going to have a debate, and it will be great. I love her dearly, but she is still slightly terrifying.

Off to go pack up the camping and rafting gear so we can head out at a reasonable time tomorrow afternoon for the mountains!

Oooooh!! Where are you going this time?

We are headed over to the east side of White Pass, so not the spectacular high mountain scenery. In the fall, they release water from Rimrock Lake to supplement the irrigation/fish flows in the Yakima River, since most of its natural flow has died down by now. The water flows from Rimrock down the Tieton River, which is some of the best not-too-hard-yet-super-fun whitewater in the state, so we're headed over for a boating/car camping weekend with some friends. We'll probably run the same section of river twice, once tomorrow and once Sunday, then head home.

A friend posted this article this morning on facebook: How to make your weekend more awesome.. It sort of made me laugh, because, duh? Of course not sitting on your butt watching TV and consuming too much don't make you happy.

My favorite quote about the effectiveness of various activities on increasing your happiness:
    The least effective strategies are gambling, shopping, smoking, drinking, eating, playing video games, surfing the Internet, and watching TV or movies for more than two hours.

I LOVE White Pass! Even just driving over it any time of year. Have fun!

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast