Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: BeckaSkiís Mission to Get In Shape for Ski Season and Life page 11

BeckaSki is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey there journal. I havenít been around in awhile since I had an action packed weekend. We host an ugly-holiday-sweater/white-elephant party for a bunch of friends, and that was Saturday night. I spent most of the afternoon Friday and then almost all day Saturday cooking and cleaning for the party. I slept in a bit on Saturday to help rest up. The party was fantastic, and I overindulged in many areas, but tried to keep it mostly primal. I had a few crackers and bread as vessels for awesome cheese, since itís awkward to eat runny camembert with your fingers in front of friends. I spent Sunday lethargically on the couch, and it was fantastic. Back to work today, Iíve got field work lined up for the rest of the week, so Iím even escaping the bounds of my cube!

B Ė 2 eggs, chicken/bacon/pineapple sausage, cappuccino
    L Ė half chicken breast and apple/blue cheese chutney
    D Ė venison loin chop, sweet potato, carrot stew

Worked out with the trainer again today. Heís switching it up on me, and instead of doing one armed one kettlebell movements, I get to do the same things I have been doing, but with a KB in each hand.
    Double KB hi-pulls
    Double KB Cleans
    Double KB Rack Squats
    Double KB Snatch
    Plus swings with a small rope fed through the KB handle.

Protein: 105 g
    Carbs: 107 g
    Fat: 54 g
    Total Calories: 1375
    Calories Burned: 2390

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    We need ugly holiday sweater photos!!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Quote Originally Posted by winencandy View Post
    We need ugly holiday sweater photos!!!

It was a small gathering, but gosh the sweaters sure were ugly. My favorite were the matching argyle ones.

I have had a crazy week and have been pretty unmotivated about journaling. Iím feeling like I donít have much to say at the moment. My eating/workout routine has been, well, routine.

After my workout Monday I crashed into bed. I spent Tuesday at one of our local water treatment plants checking on the pipeline corrosion protection system. And admiring Mt. Rainier:

I ate primal all day, and got home late and totally went to bed after packing for the rest of the week. Wednesday I went to southwestern Washington to visit with a client about a project there. I again, ate primally, but didnít exercise. After returning to the office at 6, I hopped in the car and booked it to the airport for a flight to Fairbanks (hi ottercat!) I was crazy busy at work all day Thursday and today, barely time to breathe. I was supposed to go home this afternoon, but I was so busy at work I missed my flight, so Iím going home tomorrow instead. Luckily I didnít have any plans for the weekend. I did enjoy a beer and a barleywine at dinner this evening. Work totally called for it, and I was buying dinner for the guy who made my life a whole lot easier this week.

I have to go in to work for a little bit tomorrow morning, then catch my 11:45am flight home. I have a long layover in Anchorage and am hoping to meet up with a friend for lunch.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Didja go to the gulch? That barleywine packs a punch!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    Didja go to the gulch? That barleywine packs a punch!
    Indeed I did, Friday night. Silver Gulch is my favorte place "in" Fairbanks. And oh man, the barleywine. The one this year isn't as good as the one they had last year. I actually brought a growler of last year's home with me while I was back and forth all of the time. I also like the 40 below nitro, only because I was forced to try it when they stopped having the lowbush cranberry. That one is my true favorite.

My disinclination to journal continues. I think that this stems from the fact that I havenít been making much progress with losing weight, but I have been maintaining. I know that this is because some holiday treats and sugar have crept into my diet. Iíve been doing a reasonable job of making smart choices (chocolates over cookies, meringues over cake) but itís still not great. I also had to go to Fairbanks last week, ate two meals out, both with beer. Thereís been a lot of dining out in odd locations lately. I havenít been logging my food lately, probably because I donít want to own up to the sugar.

DH and I skied on Sunday, in the rain. It was miserable, but we have to ski to get our legs in shape for our trip in February. All the strength and endurance training in the world doesnít hold a candle to actually skiing. We are really hoping the weather breaks and we get some snow soon so it wonít be miserable. Or that it snows in Colorado where we are going for the holidays.

Monday I ditched work and went snowshoeing in the Olympic National Park with a friend. We had planned to ski, but the abysmal conditions sent us elsewhere. The snowshoes were unnecessary Ė just boots with traction were needed, but it was an awesome day. The sun was out above the mountains, with a few high clouds:

And the fog was rolling in from the Strait of Juan de Fuca and Vancouver Island Canada over the city of Port Angeles, WA:

Today was a gym workout with the trainer, always a good time. Iíve been trying to get some extra sleep, in hopes (ha!) that it will counteract my sugar eating, so Iím off to bed momentarily.

This year sure started out with a whimper. I was in Salt Lake City for New Yearís, (after spending Christmas and the following week driving all over Colorado) and came down with some mild food poisoning on the 30th. Spent the 31st as a useless pile of goo, and felt better enough to ski (the whole point of going to SLC, despite their junky snow) on the 1st. Back home on the 3rd, the scale showed a 10lb loss since before Christmas. Oh water weight from being sick, of course I told myself. But no, a week later, and 8 of those 10 lbs are still gone. Iím excited, of course, but keep expecting that weight to come back. But because it hasnít a week later, I figured it was safe to take some beginning of the year measurements:

Parameter: Current number (change since of primal)
    Weight: 183 lbs (-35 lbs)
    Body Fat: 33.0% (-4.6%)
    BMI: 29.5 (-5.7) plain overweight instead of obese!
    Pant Size: The 12ís are loose, a generous 10 would fit about right, if I owned any. (16 tight at the start)
    Circumferences:
    Neck: 12.8 (-.7) in
    Bicep: 12.25 (-.75) in
    Forearm: 10 (0) in
    Chest: 40 (-2) in
    Waist (at belly button): 34 (-3) in
    Hip: 41 (-5) in
    Thigh: 24 (-3) in
    Calf: 16.5 (-1) in

Late August vs Today:

Astute viewers will notice that I finally finished/fixed the curtains in my room sometime in the last 2 months.

I havenít properly logged my food in awhile. Maybe Iíll get back on that next week. Most interestingly, my husband was very bored over the holidays and read Markís book as well as most of Good Calories, Bad Calories. Now heís all gung-ho on primal living, so that is pretty fantastic since he doesnít request non-primal foods from the store anymore.

B Ė Egg ďmuffinĒ with spinach, whole milk cappuccino
    L Ė leftover shepherdís pie, cucumber, celery, cashew butter
    D Ė salmon, caramelized leeks, half an acorn squash

I had an interesting workout with my trainer yesterday. He felt the need to see if I could do 500 KB swings in the 30 minutes of my workout. He then realized we only had 30 minutes instead of an hour, and said, ďif we only get to 300, thatís ok tooÖĒ
    ďor I can bust a move and do all 500,Ē I replied
    ďI canít even do that,Ē he said.

And so I got to work. First set: 50 swings, 50 hand to hand swings. Second set: 50 swings, 50 hand to hand swings. Third set: 50 swings, 50 hand to hand swings, 30 swings, 20 hand to hand swings. Fourth set: 50 swings, 50 hand to hand swings, 30 swings, 20 hand to hand swings. Done. Total working time about 17-18 minutes. Had to scrape the trainerís chin off the floor to tell me what to do next (Turkish get-ups for the balance of the workout). It was pretty sweet.

I didnít feel sore at all this morning, but now, 24 hours later, Iím starting to feel a little twinge in my posterior. I went to the gym this afternoon and ran about a mile on the treadmill at an easy pace, and then came home and stretched while cooking dinner.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Wow, fantastic progress pics! You are looking great, and what a visible difference .

And even better that your husband is now on board with you! It definitely helps.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Wow, fantastic progress pics! You are looking great, and what a visible difference .
    +1!!

Quote Originally Posted by BeckaSki View Post
    He felt the need to see if I could do 500 KB swings in the 30 minutes of my workout.

And so I got to work. First set: 50 swings, 50 hand to hand swings. Second set: 50 swings, 50 hand to hand swings. Third set: 50 swings, 50 hand to hand swings, 30 swings, 20 hand to hand swings. Fourth set: 50 swings, 50 hand to hand swings, 30 swings, 20 hand to hand swings. Done. Total working time about 17-18 minutes. Had to scrape the trainer’s chin off the floor to tell me what to do next (Turkish get-ups for the balance of the workout). It was pretty sweet.
    Excellent!!!!
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast