Thread: Newbie needs help with fat-carb balance page

Brew Guest

I just started the primal approach yesterday and in these two short days have struggled to get enough fat while not exceeding the target of <100g carbs. Natural fruit juice has accounted for most of my carbs.

So, I find myself in the situation of needing many more fat grams after I&#39;ve already reached my carb and protein targets.

Any suggestions? ...besides eating hot dogs and bologna? :-)

rphlslv is offline Senior Member

Put olive oil/butter in everything you eat, drink heavy-cream, etc.

Oh, and skip the fruit juices..

.`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Yup to what Raphael said.

You&#39;ll learn to love butter & coconut/olive oil. Then there&#39;s...bacon.

Try not to drink your calories, too. Fruit juices are pretty equivalent to straight sugar. Eat fruits instead!

gazb is offline Junior Member

Eat fatty meat cooked in fat . Dairy products are handy for topping up on fat if you can tolerate them: butter and cream are best as they&#39;re low in lactose and casein (milk sugar and protein; difficult to digest).

http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/6/13/using-dairy-to-substitute-fats-for-carbohydrates.html

Fructose has been described as "alcohol without the buzz", as it&#39;s metabolised in the same way and so has pretty much the same negative health effects when consumed in any more than small quantities like those found in whole fruit. Drinking fruit juice has also been compared to washing a vitamin pill down with Coke.

Hunter of the Shield is offline Junior Member

Get rid of fruit juice, it is terrible.

Fats are hard to get unless you put butter and olive oil in everything. Fatty meat is probably the best choice for fats.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I agree, nix the fruit juice first and foremost, then worry about fats.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Kristen Guest

Hahahaha! Chima_p! Who doesn&#39;t love it?

jpickett1968 Guest

Hey, no one mentioned nuts or seeds. Put those in your snack list and for a great treat, add them to your salads as well.

Brew Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for all your recommendations. I cut out the fruit juice and had a much easier time with hitting the targets. Using olive oil. Eating almonds and sardines or venison summer sausage as snacks to even things out.

Day 4 now and so far so good, but not sure what or when to expect ketosis to start showing an impact. The main difference so far is less gas (both ends).

Fortunately I have fresh venison, venison summer sausage and brats, home grown beef and fresh eggs in abundance. ...and also a good excuse to start fishing early this spring too. :-)