Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Uncephalized) page

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (Uncephalized)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My tech specs: Male, caucasian, 23 years, 5'11" (180 cm), ~180 lbs (~80 kg), mechanical engineer working a desk job 40h/week.

So, I ran across Primal Blueprint last spring or summer, a bit over a year ago. At that time I was around 210 pounds at 5'11".

I was 22 years old, and I felt fat and tired.

I went Primal and lost about 35 pounds in 4 months or so, with very little effort. I didn't do a lot of exercising, but I was looking and feeling better. However, ever since then (maybe December '10), I really haven't made any progress. My feeling is that this is because I have never been compliant enough, for long enough, to "finish the job" so to speak and really lose that last ~10-15 pounds of fat that is stubbornly clinging to my midsection. I am definitely not in the camp that seems to get away with 80/20 Primal and everything just falls into place. My metabolism is damaged from being born to an obese mother--and being raised on the same SAD that made her that way--my digestion has always sucked (IBS), and despite actually being fairly coordinated and athletic (for a chubby kid), I was never any good at team sports and never really played outside as a kid, except at school, because my parents were afraid to let me loose in our neighborhood.

I have never been lean, not since I was old enough to remember anyway (old pictures reveal that I became chubby around the age of 4), so I don't know what it feels like or what I will look like when I am there. I really want to find out. But I seem to have a hard time with compliance. I am totally, irritatingly addicted to sugar. I can't have it in the house or I will eventually eat it. And then I get guilty, derail, and waste several days feeling like crap and getting my diet back in order. Not exactly productive, progressive behavior.

So, this journal is my latest attempt to help myself continue helping myself. I am a LOT healthier than I was this time last year--I am stronger, fitter, faster, and much less fat. But I have a way to go.

I don't own a scale, so I will only be sporadically weighing myself, which is fine. I don't like to watch a number not change day by day. I might be able to weigh in every few weeks. But I think what I will do is keep weekly track of my neck, waist, hip, thigh, and biceps measurements. I will also be keeping track of what I eat (not in a weighed/measured way, just descriptive) and what activities I do every day.

I also have a few guidelines that I hope this journal will help me keep in mind every day. I want to get in the habit of making one entry every morning that will remind of the following:

1. I will not eat anything today that is not real food that will nourish me, nor drink anything poisonous (grains, processed "treats", desserts, soft drinks, etc.).
    2. I will eat and drink those things that provide real nourishment for my mind and body, and which improve my well-being (plants and animals, tea, water, and a little coffee in the mornings).
    3. I will not sabotage my own success by chemically impairing my willpower (alcohol, marijuana).
    4. I will encourage my success by careful planning and preparedness (make food ahead of time, bring Primal snacks like boiled eggs and jerky when food availability is uncertain).
    5. I will not sacrifice sleep, play, or real social interaction for computer or TV time, which are not fulfilling or healing.
    6. I will make significant time every day for my fiancee, my dog, and myself to interact, relax, laugh, and play.
    7. I will not forgo exercise or activity out of laziness or anything other than genuine illness.
    8. I will make and adhere to an exercise schedule that includes frequent easy movement, weekly sprinting, and twice-weekly heavy resistance training.

To boil it down: eat food, not poison; plan for success, don't settle for failure; live your real life, don't settle for a virtual one; move and grow, don't sit and atrophy.

So, today I got up about 7:00 and I had a cup of coffee with some probiotics. I wasn't very hungry because we ate a big dinner last night, so I didn't eat until around 9, at which point I had two boiled eggs. My fiancee left for a trip with her mom about the same time. She'll be gone around a week. For lunch I made a pound of bacon and a huge bowl of mixed greens, and ate everything together. Delicious. Later, I smoked a bowl (Fail #1) and then proceeded to find and destroy a small tin of delicious, deadly cookies in the cupboard (Fail #2). Parents were passing through town so we went out to dinner and I got a delicious steak with vegetables (win).

On the upside, I went on an "urban territory patrol" for about 40 minutes that basically involved fractally run/walking to the nearby park and around my neighborhood. It was 1PM and hot (~100F) so I made a game out of sprinting for shade, squatting under trees and bushes to cool down, then trotting or walking further, etc. Good workout, felt really good to get home and have a big glass of water though.

My measurements as of 9/18/11:

Neck: 15"
    Waist (at navel): 36"
    Hips (widest point): 36"
    Biceps: 14"
    Thigh: 26"

I did those with a USB cable and a steel tape, so they're definitely approximate. I'll try and get some better numbers when the fiancee returns and she can help me (she carries a cloth tape in her purse too, which would help). This gives an estimated body fat percentage of 20%. So I have some work to do! My goal is to hit 10%, and I'm hoping to do it before the year is out! I want to look damn sharp in my wedding pictures, so I have until April to get ripped.

I want to work more motion into my day. I have already modified my desk with some concrete blocks so I am standing at work. I have been going to the gym 2x/week already to lift (started 3 weeks ago), so that's good. The two main things I want to change are 1) sprint once a week, and 2) walk for at least an hour total every day. I am going to try to walk the dog 30 minutes before breakfast, and 30 minutes when I get home from work. Tomorrow morning, it begins...

This morning so far I walked with my dog for 30 minutes. About to make breakfast now...

Today I will:

Eat food, not poison.
    Plan for success, not settle for failure.
    Live my real life, not a virtual one.
    Move and grow, not sit and atrophy.

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    I think you are quite inspirational and think I will follow you as I often need a kick in the pants with regards to pushing myself to exercise.This is a well thought out plan with loads of determination behind it.Good luck with kicking the smoke.I gave up 3 years ago and it was one of the best thing I have ever done for myself..it added so much weight by bingeing and smoking all the time(I was beyond hardcore).Anyway,I look forward to following your progress

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    I like your 8 habits above and will definitely borrow to print and put on the fridge! Thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks for the support! Today I am going to the gym at lunchtime (I have settled on a Monday & Friday lifting schedule, with Wednesday being my day to work sprints into my morning or evening walk, and walking every day). The workout today is:

3x5 back squat at 160 lbs
    3x5 bench press at 140 lbs
    3x5 chin-up at body weight + 5 lbs

Plus appropriate warmup sets for each exercise.

The squat is a bit of a deload because I jumped the weight up to 180 too fast over the last few weeks (I was in too much of a rush to squat my body weight) and tweaked my back a little bit with bad form on a couple of reps. So I'm dropping it 20 lbs and working my way back up so as to avoid injury. Plus my bar speed was really slow (unsurprisingly since it was too much weight) and I'm hoping I can be a bit more explosive at this weight. My upper body lifts have been progressing nicely though--I'm up 20 lbs so far on my bench press in 3 weeks of lifting. Gotta love that novice-level adaptation curve. We'll see how it goes today. My main goal is to avoid hurting my lower back by maintaining excellent form.

EDIT: regarding the smoke, I will definitely be cutting back, but I will probably continue occasional use, like a couple of times a month. I really enjoy it and I have never had a problem with willpower in terms of controlling how often I smoke when I make up my mind about it. I just have a problem with how much I eat afterward!
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 09-19-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Just got back from the gym, eating lunch now. My supplements just arrived (I started Mark's PB Platinum Package last month). Yay!

Breakfast was mixed greens and organic ground beef. Lunch is more of the same plus some chocolate Primal Fuel in water (I love me some beef and salad).

My lifts felt really good today. Except I forgot I was supposed to do bench press when I wrote down my rep chart, and did overheads instead. D'oh! But that's OK, it's my weakest lift proportionally anyway so it could probably use the extra help. So my workout went:

(WeightxSetsxReps or WeightxSets: Reps/Reps/Reps. Not bold = warmups, bold = work sets)

Squat:
    45x2x5
    75x1x5
    105x1x3
    130x1x2
    160x3: 5/5/5

Press:
    45x2x5
    55x1x5
    65x1x3
    75x1x2
    85x3: 5/5/5

Chinups:
    (Body weight + 5): 5/5/5

The gym I am at doesn't have a dip belt or weight belt of any kind available, so I had to MacGyver something out of some old D-ring nylon webbing I found in a crate in a corner and a carabiner I "borrowed" from a lat pulldown machine. It was too short to get around my waist so I strapped it around my neck instead. I have to say it felt pretty bad-ass chinning up with an iron plate strapped to my chest.

Looking forward to getting home and walking my dog later. But, must get some work done!

...as soon as I'm done with lunch.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Winding down for the day.

Walked the dog ~35 minutes, until just after sunset. He's outside munching down some chicken legs at the moment. I have some zucchini and mushrooms sauteing in Kerrygold butter, and some beef to reheat when they're done. The sun is well and truly down, so screens time is ending for the day. I think I'll sit out on my back porch and read for a little bit.

A walk, some food, some work, a workout, some more food, some more work, another walk, some more food, a book, and then to bed. That makes a pretty good day.

My Primal Journal

So far this morning:

Got up one minute before my alarm was set to go off at 6:49 (of course that may have had less to with my circadian rhythm than with the fact that a snuggly, whiny cat pressed his freezing cold nose into my forehead and meowed loudly in my ear). Got dressed, set the coffee maker to brew, got the cats some food, then out the door by 7:00 for a walk with the pup. Rolled back in the door at 7:30, threw some beef in a skillet and some eggs in a pot to boil (for lunch), sliced up an avocado, used the beef fat to saute some mushrooms, and had myself a morning feast ready by 8. Had a leisurely breakfast of a half pound of beef with mushrooms on the back porch, while the dog sprawled out in the dirt and I read a book. I really like eating outside when the weather is nice. Managed to get to work by 9 with a 20-minute commute. Getting up early is pretty rockin'; you get a lot more done. My goal is to eventually wake up naturally at daybreak or shortly thereafter, but I haven't managed that yet. My sleep still isn't quite as solid as I'd like, although it's a lot better than it used to be when I stayed up until 1:00 every night.

Today is no formal exercise, just morning and evening walks. Feeling good so far!

My Primal Journal

Lunch today was the remainder of the beef I made at breakfast, with 3 boiled eggs. Filling. Too bad I ate all my vegetables, though. I need to go to Trader Joe's after work.

I also took a walk around the industrial strip mall my job resides in, in an attempt to stave off afternoon fuzzy-headedness with some clear blue sky in my retinas and a bit of sun exposure on my skin.

My Primal Journal

Well, either the sun exposure helped keep me alert, or I was just alert anyway. Either way I'll take it.

Tonight's dinner was pork sirloin (I think that's what the cut was called anyway) with a coconut oil/pepper/garlic salt rub, and a side of baby broccoli in coconut oil with curry powder. I used refined coconut oil so everything didn't taste all coco-nutty. Also had a spring greens/spinach salad, with coconut oil (unrefined) as a dressing. A very coconut meal! Also delicious.

Everything cooked at 350F in the oven while I took the dog for a 25 minute walk around to the park. The oven timer went off about a minute after I got back.

Yeah, yeah, "leaving the oven on with no one home is dangerous!" Thanks, mother. My house was still standing when I got back.

My Primal Journal

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast