Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Uncephalized) page 7

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    They don't call it p.i.t.a. bread for nothing...

Nice shoes! Are you able to compare them to the VFF KSOs? My KSOs are almost worn through and I wonder if it might be better to switch models.
    I have owned KSOs, Classics, KSO Treks (my other current pair), and now these. So yeah, I can compare a little.

They are much more "regular shoe" in feel than KSOs or Treks. They feel like a very, very flexible running or court shoe. Very comfortable, once I got the lacing to the right tightness.

I have very wide feet and a longer second toe than my big toe. So I always have some compromise to make when I get VFFs, because the toes don't really match my toes. I am a 45 in KSOs and Treks, but I had to go to a 46 in the Speeds because they don't seem to have as much leeway in terms of width as the Treks do (the sidewalls are thicker, so I think they are less stretchy). But the 46s feel good. I have the same problem with these as I have with all my VFFs, which is that the end of my little toe is so much shorter than my second toe that it only fills about half the toe pocket and slips out easily if I scrunch my foot. But I'm used to that and it doesn't really affect the mechanics of the shoe, nor is it an issue with this particular model over others.

I am really liking the laces over the traditional VFF strap system. The shoe feels much more securely fastened to my foot, without sacrificing any flexibility in the sole or toes. Less side-to-side slippage under load and noticeably better stability front-back too.

I ran and walked in them a little today, both on pavement and dirt, and up and down some steep dirt inclines. They didn't shift on me at all, and I had pretty decent ground feel. Not as good as a pair of Classics or KSOs (the sole is a bit thicker), but good.

This is the first pair I have had with the "anatomical pod" Bikila-type outsole and I am sold on it. They're more flexible than my Treks but feel almost as good at protecting from pokey things. They also feel really light. Plus I like the style! I'll definitely be throwing these on with jeans for going out to dinner or cruising around town. My only caveat is that I don't want to mess them up with too much crashing through bushes and dirt, because they look so nice with their shiny black-and-white motif. So I'll probably keep my Treks as my go-to shoe for more outdoorsy stuff, and use the Speeds for city life.

Overall: loving them so far. Probably my favorite pair of VFFs overall. As far as whether they're better than KSOs? If you're mostly cruising around in the civilized world, probably, if only for aesthetics. For serious rough-terrain hiking I'd still prefer my Treks for the little bit of additional armor and the durability of the leather. KSOs I really like as a lighter option for hiking too. Definitely try them out and see how they feel. The only VFFs I have had that I didn't use the hell out of were my Classics, because I really need the straps/laces to get the fit right with my funny feet.

EDIT: Timothy, I think you are my only reader!
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 10-19-2011 at 05:50 PM.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Gay Panda is offline Senior Member
    No, you have another reader! I lurk and enjoy the pictures of those nifty Speeds.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Cool, Uncephalized, thanks for the detailed comparison! I will definitely give the Speeds a try and see how they fit, but my main criterion is lightness, so I may end up with the sprints, even though they look perhaps the silliest.

And oh my goodness, you have Gay Panda as a reader! You can be sure you're doing something right. My estimate is lurkers outnumber responders by about 5:1, so you've got an audience of at least a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gay Panda View Post
    No, you have another reader! I lurk and enjoy the pictures of those nifty Speeds.
    Yay! We can lurk each other's journals together, GP.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I lurk too I read most of the journals that pop up throughout the day because I have a pretty decent amount of spare time, but I just don't comment ><
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

"Entreaty to Lurkers"

Oh lurkers, so lurkey,
    Now where are you from?
    From what mists all murky
    do you sneakily come?

I wonder why you folks
    don't at least say "Hi!"
    as you read my bad jokes
    and lurk lurkily by.

Perhaps I'm too pimply,
    or have a plain mug?
    Or maybe I'm simply
    insufferably smug?

I doubt it's my face, though--
    since we're on the Net--
    and I think we'd all know
    if we'd really met.

(And also, about me,
    and just to be clear:
    I eat the PB
    so ain't no zits here.)

So why take your leave?
    Is it something I do?
    No; I'm forced to believe
    it's not me, must be you.

I'm sure we'd all be pals;
    and I rarely bite,
    so come on, guys and gals,
    stop on by, and write!

--Uncephalized
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 10-20-2011 at 10:28 AM.

My Primal Journal

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I'm jealous, I'm completely incapable of writing poems in any real structure or with rhyming.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I like free verse and prose too. But rhyming and writing in meter is like a game; it becomes an addictive challenge to make your words fit and flow well together within such tight confines. Language is so much fun!

My Primal Journal

So, update time. I'm pissed!

I seem to have strained either my left psoas or erector spinae. I think it's my psoas because it hurts a little in my groin and a lot in my back when I try to lift my left leg straight up in front, or bring my left knee to my chest, or internally rotate my left leg. All of which motions heavily involve psoas contraction. It also hurts in my left lower back right along my spine when I squat all the way down, which is exactly where it attaches.

I'm pretty sure I did it sprinting Wednesday, though it didn't start hurting until about midday yesterday. It was getting dark and I jumped over a shadow thinking it was an actual obstacle, then landed a little funny on my left leg (which at a full-out sprint speed can be traumatic) and tweaked it. Luckily it feels like it's already improving after one night's sleep so it can't be too major. But I won't be lifting tonight (rage!) which means I don't get to go out for all-you-can-eat sushi either (MEGA RAGE!) because that is a post-workout indulgence only. I've been looking forward to that all week. *grump*

On the upside

***TMI ALERT***

I just took a fantastically good poop. This is a big deal for me because it is a continuation of a trend lately, and I have IBS which has led to chronic constipation and general pooping difficulty since I was about 12. Primal + religious probiotic use have, over the course of a year or so, been slowly improving this condition to the point where I think I am actually pretty much better now, and I take one (or occasionally two) fast, easy, healthy-sized, normal-colored, blood-free and completely comfortable poos nearly every day at right about 10AM. This has never been the case as long as I can remember, and it's awesome. This is in contrast to my former pattern where I would frequently go only 2-3 times per week, and strain out toilet-clogging bricks every time, accompanied by intense cramping and significant pain, and sometimes blood. Daily nearly-black (a touch of H&H only) coffee during my morning fast definitely helps move things along, too.

***END TMI ALERT***

Let's see, food for yesterday was pretty good. IFed until noon as per usual, with just coffee and some H&H. Got Chipotle salad for lunch--lettuce, double order of steak, a bit of green tomatillo and some cheese. The Mate made roast beef in the crockpot and sauteed some Japanese mushrooms in butter. Had that with some mixed greens. Meat was a bit dry, but delicious. The bones had cooked for so long that they had turned into spongy protein from all the minerals leaching into the broth, so I ate half my bone and gave the other half to the dog. I figure scarfing down some connective tissue is probably good for recovery of my back muscles. We also opened a fresh coconut, and I drank a lot of the water from it and ate some delicious fresh coconut flakes with some cheddar cheese. Probably too much dairy yesterday overall, but not bad otherwise.

I was planning on lifting today, but that's not going to happen. I'll have to just go for a walk or something.

EDIT: wow, checked out my food in Fitday and it really looks good: ~1800 calories, 42g carbs (29 net after fiber), 120g fat, 155g protein. Pretty damn good macros for a rest/low-carb day. I thought I would be higher than that on calories and carbs. I'm getting better at judging appropriate foods and portions by eye, I think.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 10-21-2011 at 10:28 AM.

My Primal Journal

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Uncephalized, bummer about the muscle strain! Missing a lifting workout is depressing indeed. I feel your agony.

This is my answer for almost everything in life, but have you tried sledgehammer traction? It's a great way to stretch out muscle kinks, improve circulation, lube joints, grease the neural groove and all that. I do it almost every morning and it really helps both typical DOMS and the occasional major strain.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast