Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Uncephalized) page 4

JpGrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good to see that you got through your workout no problem - I have squats at 140 pounds today, 5 x 5. I'm glad to hear you don't have the same leverage problems I have with long arms and legs - it makes everything much more difficult. I've been enjoying a bit of Cross Fit style exercise recently and struggling to get back into the gym for serious workouts. Must squat.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Yep, the wedding is this coming April. Coincidentally, right during PrimalCon. Thanks for the good wishes! She is actually Primal as well, just a little less strict since she doesn't have weight issues. But it really helps with her mood, energy and immune system--I think pretty everyone could benefit from it to some degree.

Today's lunch was about a half pound of grass-fed ground beef with sauteed bok choy and about a quarter of a sweet potato (all leftovers).

I <3 grass-fed beef. That is all.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Good squats to you, JpGrok.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

JpGrok is offline Senior Member
    You gave me the motivation to get back in the gym: 60 kg (132 lbs) 5 x 5 - thanks man!
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it. - Ferris Bueller

JpGrok Journal

Glad I could help.

My Primal Journal

Last night it rained (that's a rare occasion here, worthy of celebration)! This morning was gorgeous, cool and damp with just a touch of overcast. Absolutely perfect temperature for sitting out with a sweater, a mug of steaming coffee, and a book. So that's what we did this morning while Dog tore around the yard in high gear trying to tempt us into chasing him. He did not succeed, but I think he enjoyed the trying.

I have been falling asleep around 9:30 or 10pm and waking up naturally right around sunrise. It's really nice to just slowly fade into full awareness and decide that it's time to rise instead of being torn from dreams by a buzzing alarm.

We made ourselves some olive oil lamps out of a couple of old containers and some cotton yarn braided into wicks. They work pretty well and we've been using them for light around bedtime. We just shut everything off and retire to the bedroom with nothing but lamp light for a bit, and talk or read until we get sleepy and blow them out. It's incredibly relaxing and soporific to read by the light of a flickering lamp flame.

My Primal Journal

Emerge with a blink, a stretch, a scratch,
    and the morning air wipes the sleep from your eyes.
    Cool fingers caress bared skin
    waking an ancient fur-memory.
    Concrete chills, deader than stone,
    but the rains came in the night
    and the wet earth breathes life into your soles
    as you step into the real world
    from the one we have made;
    safe, and easy, and tame.
    They stand beside you, your mate,
    and your dog, and this is right,
    the way it has always been.
    And this morning you pause,
    and almost recall what it was
    to dwell always in what is real,
    and what is now.
    And this morning you regret
    trading the real world
    for this one;
    safe, and easy, and tame.

Just like you.

My Primal Journal

Measurements as of 10/6/2011:

Neck: 15"
    Biceps: 14"
    Waist: 35"
    Hips: 35.5"
    Thigh: 24"

These are probably more accurate than the first set I took, so I'll be using them as a baseline in the coming months instead of those.

My Primal Journal

Last night I went for a walk/sprint session with Dog and my fiancee. She didn't run since she hasn't been feeling very well the last couple of days. I ran 5 sprints spaced out a few minutes apart along the walk. Felt pretty good, I pushed it as hard as I could and was pretty gassed by the time I finished the last couple. I felt fast too. I think regular squatting and dead lifting probably makes a big difference in sprint performance.

Last night's dinner was grass-fed top round roast. I put a little refined coconut oil in my cast iron pan, added some shallots and garlic, then sprinkled in some sesame seeds and ginger. Rolled the meat in the oil and seasonings, then put it in the oven at 375F for about 40 minutes, flipping at 25 minutes. Also did a sweet potato in the microwave and had half of it with some Kerrygold and a little salt.

Everything came out pretty tasty, though the meat was a bit tough since it's roast meat and I didn't slow-cook it or marinade it all day. Also I think I would have preferred it a little more rare--it came out a little well-done and dry for my taste. Probably try it more like 325F for the same amount of time and see how that turns out next time. But it's still good, and the drippings baked into a nice crumbly seasoned crusty stuff that's delicious. I've got leftovers for lunch today too. It might even last me through dinner.

This morning was almost cold! I don't think this is going to last; it'll probably hit 100F a couple more times before it cools off consistently for the fall. But the last couple of days have been just gorgeous.

My Primal Journal

Yesterday I took a couple of short walks around my work during the day, and another with the Tribe (my fiancee and our dog) when I got home. Food was leftover roast beef for lunch, and short ribs, asparagus, portabella, and sweet potato with some frozen berries for dinner (a few too many probably, but hey, it's berries, big deal). The ribs were exceedingly tough with lots of chewy fat and gristle, but the meat was tasty once I ripped it off the bone with my teeth. Dog enjoyed the gristly bits.

Today is a lifting day. The schedule is:

Squat: 3x5 @ 155 lbs
    Overhead Press: 3x5 @ 90 lbs
    Dead Lift: 1x5 @ 215 lbs

Plus warmups. Will report back with results later!

My Primal Journal

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast