Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Uncephalized) page 13

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Mate made me a Primal Pumpkin Pie last night. Unsweetened baked pumpkin mixed with coconut milk (equal parts) and pumpkin pie spice for the filling, and pecan meal mixed with butter for the crust. Served with a dollop of creme fraiche and frozen wild blueberries.

It was phenomenal. Rich flavor, not sweet (easy to add honey or berries to taste), and totally delicious. But too heavy on the nuts, which made my stomach hurt later. Of course, I did eat half the pie by myself. We are still experimenting to find a crust that is simultaneously rich, delicious, low in or free of sugar, and PUFA-free. We will be experimenting with taro and cassava next I think.

We also ran sprints last night (before eating too much pie), which went well. Total of 6 intervals. I felt reasonably quick until the last 2, which always are the hardest to grind out. I feel like pushing a little past your endurance is probably where you get most of the benefit, though.

Then this morning it was up at 6:50 (no alarm!) and out the door at 7:00 for the second walk/run of my Couch-to-5K. 5 minute warmup walk followed by 8 intervals of 60s run/90s walk. Didn't feel any easier than Tuesday, but that might have been partly due to my screaming calves, which are not used to this much punishment. I expect they will get used to the abuse and shut their yaps within a week or two.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Awesome stuff, Uncephalized. We have a bit of a pie fetish in my household too and the winning crust so far is a blend of rice and cassava. We're just starting to get into quinoa flour, though, which might be better nutritionally.

How's your exercise-induced asthma? Given your lifting prowess, I would think you could dash off a 5k as an afterthought with no practice, but the asthma seems like an X factor. Also, what kind of footwear are you using, if any?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    How's your exercise-induced asthma? Given your lifting prowess, I would think you could dash off a 5k as an afterthought with no practice, but the asthma seems like an X factor. Also, what kind of footwear are you using, if any?
    The asthma gets better and worse from all sorts of factors, including air temperature and humidity (warmer and wetter is better), allergen load (which is absolutely horrendous where I live; I feel much better generally when I go somewhere less-awful), dust (also horrible here), rest, and my general state of health. I'm trying to reduce PUFAs in my diet as much as possible right now (barring the occasional pecan crust debacle) to see if that helps. I think it will since asthma is an inflammation-based condition. But I've also got chronic sinus congestion (related to above) that makes it hard to breathe through my nose while running. That makes the air that hits my lungs and throat too dry and cold in general, which makes it worse. If I breathe hard through my mouth my throat gets raw and fills with phlegm. It all kind of feeds back on itself and makes my breathing by far the weakest link in my aerobic capacity.

I run in my VFF KSO Treks, with Injinji socks. That combo does a good job of taking some of the punishment out of running on concrete/blacktop without sacrificing too much ground feel, and keeps me aware of heel strikes (none so far!). I think my running form is pretty good.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Tonight, I lift!

Squat 3x5 @ 210 lbs
    Overhead Press 3x5 @ 100 lbs (gonna do it this time! I SHALL NOT FAIL!)
    Pullups 3x5 @ BW+15 lbs (missed a rep last time)

I'm unusually hungry this morning. Perhaps I did not gorge on enough delicious cow-flesh last night. Today, however, is a day for fowl, fish, and sweet, sweet potato.

My Primal Journal

Workout... not so great. I had to drop to 205 on the squat and back to 95 on the press. I just wasn't feeling great in the gym. I have narrowed it down to 3 likely factors:

1) I ate too much lunch and still had food in my stomach while lifting, leaving me less energy for the work. I was very hungry yesterday and got a double lunch.

2) I have not been eating enough this week. As evidenced perhaps by my unusual hunger.

3) Introducing running has added exercise stress that is slowing my muscle recovery.

If 1), it should be a one-off and I should be able to pick up where I was next week. Same for 2), as long as I eat well. But 3) could either slow me down all the time or my body could need a few weeks to adjust, I don't know. If running turns out to significantly negatively impact my lifting in the long term, I'll drop it for a while. My strength progress is more important!

My Primal Journal

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    How often are you running? How's your heart rate while you run?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

The running is pathetically low intensity. 20 minutes of alternating 60s runs with 90s walks. This week I ran on Tuesday and Thursday, and said "fuck it" on Saturday because I stayed up too late Friday night.

I also do sprints Wednesdays. I don't know what my heart rate was doing, I don't have a monitor and it's a bit hard to take a pulse manually while jogging.

I think it's food, really. I think my diet has gotten a little too rice-centric on carb days, to the detriment of getting enough micronutrients. I'm going to go to a slightly more moderate eating plan with a bigger focus on beef, vegetables and sweet potato rather than rice and chicken. Keeping my Friday sushi; that will be my major refeed meal for the week.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 11-14-2011 at 01:06 PM.

My Primal Journal

Uh oh. I appear once again to have blown off my morning run.

Oh well.

My workout yesterday was pretty good, except that I again missed my target reps on the press. This time it was due at least in part to the fact that I felt rushed because someone else wanted to use the power rack (there's only one) and I didn't leave myself enough recovery time. I really hate feeling rushed in the gym.

I need to build myself a workout pavilion in my yard and get my own barbell setup. Then I can rest for 4 minutes in between sets and not have to feel hurried watching the gym rats do 18 sets of preacher curls in the time it takes me to squat 3 times.

My Primal Journal

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I need to build myself a workout pavilion in my yard and get my own barbell setup. Then I can rest for 4 minutes in between sets and not have to feel hurried watching the gym rats do 18 sets of preacher curls in the time it takes me to squat 3 times.
    I hear you, man. Had that exact experience at my local commercial gym this weekend. Do you also notice that nobody seems to be trying very hard? There I was fighting for my life under the squat bar, choking back screams like a civil war casualty on the amputation table, while everyone around me looked like they were getting a foot massage. Where's Martin Berkhan when you need him?

Haha yeah, going to the gym is usually a study in fuckarounditis to the extreme. There are usually a few guys working HARD (and surprise surprise, they're the ones who are jacked!), and everyone else is a collection of fat or skinny-fat people making the rounds of the tricep pulldown cable and curling platform for 20x30 @ 10 lbs or something stupid. The more "serious" ones get on the pec deck or do these ridiculous leaned-back facsimiles of squats on the Smith machine. And don't even get me started on the leg press! If you have time and energy to check out the chicks using the elliptical through the window while under the weight, you are not working out, you are fucking around.

At least most of them don't monopolize my power rack, since that is one of those terrifying "free weights" to which they are apparently allergic.

My Primal Journal

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast