Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Uncephalized) page 12

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Uncephalized, that is a great deadlift tutorial. I think you already do this, but I would add that a convex spine -- sticking your butt back -- will increase your capacity, just like it does with squats.

Also, congratulations on your astounding deadlift progression. You're going to pass me soon, I think. I fought to the death with 270 pounds today... just couldn't get that sixth rep in. But man will it be a sweet victory when I do.

I never knew what a deadlift was, nor was I interested, until I saw Richard Nikoley tugging 305 pounds:

Dead Lifts on Vimeo

Good grief, that video still impresses the hell out of me. Right after I saw it for the first time, I changed my routine and went whole-hog Leangains. That little bendy maneuver he does with the legs between reps is very helpful.

Namelesswonder, I hope you give it a try! Deadlifts and squats will transform you. You'll be so impressed by the toning of your arms and legs that you may not notice it's giving you rock-hard abs at the same time.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Thanking for the description! That was rad. I am working on squats now, and doing stuff with a kettlebell until my upperbody strength is not so feeble. "Starting Strength" is now in my Amazon book wishlist (mostly full of paleo/primal recipe books & stuff about adrenal fatigue heh). It's been recommended to me before, but I kept forgetting about it! Hopefully I get an Amazon giftcard for Christmas... Anyway I'm totally down with trying to lift weights etc. and become a sex goddess. Tis my primal goal (there are silly warrior-face pics of me in the Before & After thread so hopefully someday I'll have after pics worth showing off).

Convex spine has me lost. Google is not helping me, it shows images of scoliosis O.o I thought you had to keep your back flat for squats? I have a tendency to stick my butt out, as opposed to pull my hips back...I forget the term, but someone looked at my posture in the B&A thread & told me what it was. Keeping that in mind helps squats not hurt, so maybe I'm doing it right and just getting confused by terms.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Thanking for the description! That was rad.
    Anytime.

Convex spine has me lost. Google is not helping me, it shows images of scoliosis O.o I thought you had to keep your back flat for squats? I have a tendency to stick my butt out, as opposed to pull my hips back...I forget the term, but someone looked at my posture in the B&A thread & told me what it was. Keeping that in mind helps squats not hurt, so maybe I'm doing it right and just getting confused by terms.
    So there's hip flexion vs. extension, and tucking your hips vs. sticking out your butt. Hip flexion is what you are doing when you squat down, and extension is what you are doing when you press back up to standing. During either of these, you can tuck your hips or stick out your butt. Repeatedly switching back and forth between these states is known as "humping" and comes in many variations, both wet and dry. Sticking out your butt is the rearward ("withdrawing") portion of the hump, while tucking your hips is the forward ("penetrating") portion. Come to think of it, most males of reproductive age probably have a pretty solid grasp of this mechanic.

When you're squatting or deadlifting, you want to be withdrawing at the bottom of the movement, and mostly neutral at the top. You don't want to penetrate because a) it's bad for your back to do this under load (technical term is called "reversing your lumbar" == BAD) and b) thinking about penetration while deadlifting will make you laugh and drop a big heavy piece of iron on yourself. You have been warned.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Also, congratulations on your astounding deadlift progression. You're going to pass me soon, I think. I fought to the death with 270 pounds today... just couldn't get that sixth rep in. But man will it be a sweet victory when I do.
    How many reps do you do? I'll be attempting 270 or maaaaybe 275 for 1x5 next Friday. So far I have been able to sustain +15 pounds every time but it has gotten a little bit harder each time. I think I'll try it though. Probably the last time I'll be able to go 15 pounds in a jump though.

I'm also guessing I outweigh you by a few pounds, so your 270 lbs is probably a greater achievement than mine. I'm 185 lbs last I weighed in (which is actually up 5 lbs, but my measurements all improved so I know it's muscle. )
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    How many reps do you do? I'll be attempting 270 or maaaaybe 275 for 1x5 next Friday. So far I have been able to sustain +15 pounds every time but it has gotten a little bit harder each time. I think I'll try it though. Probably the last time I'll be able to go 15 pounds in a jump though.
    I do deadlifts in a Leangains RPT style, which is to say:

(0.5 x top weight) x 5 \
    (0.6 x top weight) x 5 > warmup sets
    (0.7 x top weight) x 5 /
    top weight x 6 or less
    (top weight - 10%) x 8 or less

So today I managed 270x5 and 245x5. I do come up for air a few times rather than banging them out in a row like Nikoley in that video, and I do have a few false starts. When I finally get to 270x6, I'll go to 275 and 250 the next week and the suffering will begin anew.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    I'm also guessing I outweigh you by a few pounds, so your 270 lbs is probably a greater achievement than mine. I'm 185 lbs last I weighed in (which is actually up 5 lbs, but my measurements all improved so I know it's muscle. )
    You do indeed outweigh me a bit. I'm at 165.4 pounds fasted today. So I feel a bit of consolation that you outbench me considerably (165x5 is my record, with 150 for my drop sets). As for overhead press, your 100 pound work set is probably my 1RM. I would be curious to know your weighted dip performance, since that's the one lift I seem to outperform on.

Whatever the case, your numbers give me something to shoot for and motivate me to eat more liver. Keep on muscling up!

I don't know; I don't usually do dips. I'll have to do a 5RM or 1RM once I get my dip belt (which should be coming tomorrow). Maybe I'll do that before I run my sprints. It probably isn't very impressive since I don't do dips much, but there should be some significant overlap in muscle groups with bench press (chest, tris) and pullups (lats). So we'll see how I do. Probably something I should think about adding to my routine at some point, but right now my progress is too good to mess with it.

EDIT: w00t, Amazon says it arrived already! That will make weighted chins and pullups a lot more comfortable. I had been tying plates around my neck with nylon web straps. 20 lbs feels heavy when it's digging into the back of your neck with a 1" strap.
    Last edited by Uncephalized; 11-08-2011 at 04:23 PM.

My Primal Journal

Dip belt, what a concept! I need to get me one of those. Hope you let us know how you like it. Until now I've just been using a nylon strap to tie plates to my butt, with a fractional plate hanging around my neck like a consolation medal from the special olympics.

I agree, no messing with your routine while you're posting gains like recently. Ride that train all the way to the station!

My calves are SORE today. Running in vibrams for the first time in forever will do that to a body. I did a few minutes of the calf stretch from MobilityWOD though, and that helped. I need to remember to do it a couple more times today.

My Primal Journal

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I laughed heartily at the humping description. Makes more sense now though. My boyfriend doesn't get why I can't thrust like he can, but my hips just don't work that way! I have a hard time figuring out that motion ><
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I laughed heartily at the humping description. Makes more sense now though. My boyfriend doesn't get why I can't thrust like he can, but my hips just don't work that way! I have a hard time figuring out that motion ><
    I was going to say something witty, cutting, and full of suggestion to this, but all I can manage is something to do with a strap-on and "practice makes perfect", so I won't bother.

My Primal Journal

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast