Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Uncephalized) page 11

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Another update: this is my truck!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

phreebie is offline Senior Member
    Great Journal, and great progress!!

As an aside, do you guys measure bicep flexed, or relaxed?
    Live. Grow. Flourish.

My Journal/story is at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread38948.html

Flexed, always (so my biceps isn't too impressive, yet!). Same with thigh measurement, that's done in a full lunge on the forward leg.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Today is a rest day. I got Chipotle again for lunch, a salad with a smidge of rice, double steak and cheese.

Then I was still hungry, so I got another one, with double chicken this time.

Mmm. 1100 calories of delicious lunch. I am no longer hungry.

My Primal Journal

Oh, man, I made deboned short ribs last night (from my store of grass-fed beef). They were fabulous. A little chewy, but the beef is just so flavorful I don't care. We have nice sharp steak knives too, so I made pretty short work of them.

Also had some greens with a splash of CO, and a big bowl of frozen berries, dark chocolate and almonds for dessert.

My Primal Journal

Workout tonight!

3x5 back squat, 200 lbs (!)
    3x5 overhead press, 100 lbs (!)
    3x5 chinup, body weight plus 20 lbs

Then I'm gettin' sushi.

My Primal Journal

That last workout went well except for the overhead presses. I seem to have a lot of difficulty progressing on those for some reason. I only got 4/3/3 at 100 lbs, so I'll be sticking with that weight again on Friday, the next time I do that lift.

The weekend was fun--went down to hang out with family in Tucson. Did not quite stick to my planned VLC weekend, but didn't go nuts either.

Tonight is:

Squat 3x5@205 lbs
    Bench 3x5@170 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5@260 lbs

This is my favorite lifting combination. It's a very quick workout but it's the most draining of all. Deads are just killer.

My Primal Journal

Last night's workout went very well. Hit all my targets. I picked up 260 pounds five times! That just sounds like a lot of weight when I say it...

Deadlifts are freakin' hard.

This morning was the first day of my Couch-to-5K. The first run/walk involves a 5-minute warmup walk, followed by 20 minutes alternating 60s of jogging and 90s of walking. It went well; by the end of the 8th interval I definitely wouldn't have wanted to run any more, but I finished strong and felt good when I was done. This is perhaps more of a challenge for me than it would be for many people because I have exercise-induced asthma, so getting severely winded can actually be dangerous for me. Being Primal has helped in this regard (it's an inflammatory response that I assume has been somewhat down-regulated by my diet) but it's not gone. So I have to take it easy and really feel out my limits carefully when ramping up to cardio.

Yesterday being a weightlifting day, I subsisted on mostly Chipotle salad bowls (lettuce, double rice, double chicken, a little cheese) to break my fast, then made chicken breast and white rice at home for my PWO meal. Not really a very micronutrient-dense eating plan, which is the main thing I dislike about carb-loading on workout days. I really need to work on getting some organ meats and a broader variety of vegetables on my off-days. At least my Fridays are sushi, so I get a good dollop of omega-3 and some ocean minerals.

Today I cooked my self a grass-fed roast for lunchtime (breakfast), and I'll probably make a sirloin and some veggies for dinner if I finish the roast off before I go home.

My Primal Journal

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    It IS a lot of weight. Any tips for deadlifts? I have no idea how to perform one O.o

Congrats on starting C5k! I wanted to try that earlier this spring, and even set myself up to get daily email reminders on what I should be doing, but it just never happened. I don't like being seen when I exercise...
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    It IS a lot of weight. Any tips for deadlifts? I have no idea how to perform one O.o
    Put heavy thing on floor. Bend over and grab heavy thing. Stand up. Don't drop it on your foot.

Seriously though, if you want the lowdown, you should buy Starting Strength or check out the wiki. Lots of great info in both places, but the book is more comprehensive.

Or if you want my quick-and-dirty explanation:

Get an Olympic barbell (the kind you see at most gyms; it weighs 45 lbs). If you are a reasonably fit female the bar alone should not be too much weight, but if it is, you can start with a bicep curl bar or some other, smaller type of weight. Look at a 45-lb weight plate and see how tall the center hole is. Space your bar up that high if you do not have plates on the bar. Just set it on some boxes or something (it changes the movement if you have to reach all the way to the floor). Now, stand with your feet about shoulder-width apart, with the bar directly over your mid-foot. Bend at your knees and your hips, and grab the bar with your hands spaced a little wider than your feet. Your back should be straight--all of the bending is happening at your hips, knees, and ankles. That's super-important because while you can easily pick up small weights with a rounded back, you need to train yourself not to, so that when you get to heavier weights, you don't shear your spine. That hurts a lot and you will not be deadlifting again for a while, if ever, because you might now be a paraplegic.

OK, so you've grabbed the bar with a comfortably wide grip. At this point the bar should still be right over the center of your feet, and just touching your shins because your knees are forward a bit. Make sure you retract your shoulders. Envision pulling them both down and back. This keeps them safely tucked into their sockets and wrapped up in lots of muscle, where they are happy and safe. All the force you exert with your legs and hips will be passing through your shoulders on its way to picking up the bar, and your shoulders are tiny and puny compared to your hips. So keep 'em retracted! Likewise, your elbows are straight. Your arms are just a pair of straps hooked to your spine and the bar. They are not doing any work themselves.

Now, pull! The bar will slide up your shins (you'll want to be wearing long pants) as you simultaneously straighten your knees and hips. Keeping the bar in gentle contact with the shins ensures you are not pulling too much with the legs (it will float away from your shins) or with your back (it will dig in uncomfortably and scrape you). Once it passes your knees, you just stand all the way up until the bar touches you right around the crotch or belly (depending on how long your arms are). Then you reverse the motion and set it back down. You can set it down hard if you want, preferably with a loud grunt. This shows how hardcore you are and scares all the gym-bunnies who are unaware that deadlifting and back squats will make you a Sex Goddess, whereas curling a 2-lb dumbbell 450 times will... well, make you look stupid, is mostly what it will do.

There you go! It's actually much easier than that even though it sounds complicated, but it's a very natural movement. Concentrate on keeping your back straight and shoulders retracted, starting with the bar over your foot, and keeping it in gentle contact with your shins until it clears your knee, and you'll do fine. Happy lifting!

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Congrats on starting C5k! I wanted to try that earlier this spring, and even set myself up to get daily email reminders on what I should be doing, but it just never happened. I don't like being seen when I exercise...
    Yeah, that bothers me too. Just have to get over it, I guess. I am glad to be working on something I've always been bad at. It's a challenge!

My Primal Journal

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast