Thread: Sharp neck/shoulder pain linked to magnesium? page

spincycle is offline Senior Member

Sharp neck/shoulder pain linked to magnesium?

Primal Fuel
    I started supplementing with Mg oxide (250 mg) last Mon., and later on in the day developed a sharp neck/shoulder pain, it felt like I had slept badly on my neck, but it wasn't hurting when I woke up, just later on in the day. I attributed it to overzealous reverse butterflies since I'd lifted weights on Sun., but found it odd that I didn't wake up feeling that way. It was really painful, like deep in the muscle and I had a hard time moving my neck and shoulder, I iced it twice and took some Tylenol, and next morning I woke up and felt as good as new. Same thing happened on Fri. though (I did some more weight lifting on Thurs. am), I woke up fine, but it started in the morning and got worse and worse as the day wore on, it's so bad that I could barely sleep on Fri. and Sat. despite icing it and taking more Tylenol.

Today I realized it started the same day I took the Mg, so I didn't take any today and it does feel better. I also realize that it could be the weight lifting, but I've been doing pretty much the same routine for a year and not had any problems. I didn't up my weights either. Is there any possibility that my muscle pain is connected to the Mg? Anyone ever had a similar experience?

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium usually gets rid of cramps and muscle pains, I haven't heard of anyone getting pains from it. It sounds like it could just be your workout.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    Well, turns out I have a nasty virus, I went to the dr. today and she thinks my neck stiffness/pain was caused by that. Just got to wait it out and hope it gets better soon.