Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dog questions page

dado Guest

dog questions

Primal Fuel
    1. how much does dog food cost per month, approximately

2. what do you do with your dog when you are at work?

3. where do dogs go to the bathroom, and can they be trained to NOT take dumps all over the house?

4. do all dogs play frisbee and tennis ball throw?

thanks thanks dog owners

because I am very close to getting one but want some advice from dog people

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    1. cost of food depends a lot on the size of the dog and its activity level. My 10 pound mini poodle costs less than $20 a month to feed. It would be far less, but she is on a prescription diet due to digestive issues.

2. I put up a gate that keeps her in the kitchen area for the day. Even if she has an accident (hasn't happened in years), it will be on the tile floor and easy to clean. I also keep water down for her.

3. Dogs can and should be trained to do their business outside only. Check out books on house training. The training takes effort, but it's well worth it.

4. No. That depends on the breed, though about any dog likes some form of play with the person it owns. (They end up owning you as much as you own them...trust me on that. lol)
    Last edited by Mike in Virginia; 09-18-2011 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added sentence to first paragraph
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

apple is offline Senior Member
    I spend about $25 I think on dog food from costco and it usually lasts 2 months. I have a wild pit bull, 2.5 years old, needs lots of exercise and would eat nonstop if I let her. I keep her in her crate while we're gone, because I don't trust her not to get into everything since she has so much energy. I do take her on a good 45-60 minute walk every morning, so that she's tired enough to nap during the day. Dogs can always be trained not to go all over the house, but it's more about keeping them on a good schedule where you take them out consistently enough that they have the opportunity to poo outside. Don't use puppy pads as back ups because it is extremely hard to get them to stop going where the pads have been. Not all dogs like to play fetch, but you are highly likely to get one that does if you go with a retriever. there are ways to train them to fetch though, but I've never had to train it into a dog

The biggest drawbacks are vet expenses, time, and needing dog sitters or a kennel should you need to leave town.
    Type 1 Diabetic. Controlling blood sugar through primal life.

2012 Goals:
    Maintain A1c of 6.0 or lower
    More dietary fat, less carbs, moderate protein
    LHT and sprint as per PB fitness
    Play more!

kenn is offline Senior Member
    hopefully this will help

Dog Breed Info Center®, DBI
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Mud Flinger is online now Senior Member
    I have 3 dogs (2 malamutes and a husky/wolf). I spend about $80-100/mo to feed them. Vet costs are huge if you don't keep your dog out of trouble and a lot of that depends on the breed. Definitely look into what fits your lifestyle and talk to the pound/pet store and a vet (yes find one first) to get an idea of expenses and breed for you. A great dog in the wrong atmosphere = misery for both owner and dog (but the dog always gets blamed). Best of luck!

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    We feed our dogs a high quality/protein diet so it runs us about $60-75 per month.

I work from home so they're rarely alone in the house for more than a couple of hours at a time. I try to walk them before leaving and take them out immediately when I return. We have cattle dogs, though, and they can't be left alone for too long, but not because they'll have accidents, but because they get destructive without plenty of exercise and mental stimulation. They get about an hour walk in the morning, an hour in the evening and in the middle of the day I take them out and throw balls. I throw them in the house too, but we have a long hallway and tile floor throughout the whole downstairs.

Depends on the dog. Some breeds more than others. The one will chase just about anything you throw but especially loves sticks, although she won't bring them back. The other will play fetch with a ball and actually bring it back. I'm working on getting him to chase other things and am going to try to do some agility training also, as he needs lots of stimulation, but he's about 10 months old and doesn't have the attention span at the moment. We've also only had him for a few weeks so need to work with him on other things first.

My advice would be to research breeds of dogs that aren't too high energy but can go when you want them to. Then find a rescue agency and look for a dog around 1-2 years old. They're still quite young and often already housebroken, will walk on a lead, etc . . . . Another advantage to a rescue org is that they'll match the personality of the dog with the personality of the person. And many times the dogs have been surrendered for no reason other than their owners were moving, divorcing, couldn't afford them and so on.

You might want to hit a few sites like this Animal Planet :: Guides :: Dog Breed Selector as well, to get an idea of what kind of dog you want.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dado View Post

3. where do dogs go to the bathroom, and can they be trained to NOT take dumps all over the house?

thanks thanks dog owners

because I am very close to getting one but want some advice from dog people
    Question #1 - 42. You lack enough parameters for a decent answer. EG: I spend $53+- on a 30# bag of dog kibble, then buy canned food, as well as raw meats/bones. Value/cost would be dictated by how long it takes to go through all that, it also comes down to dog size. A 200 pound mastiff will eat a little more than a 20 pound dachsund.

#2 - I throw things at her while she sleeps. I work from home, because that's more primal. When I worked in the office, I had a dog walker.

#3 - It's called housetraining. My dog shits where my neighbor does, in the yard.

#4 - Yes, unless they do not. I've never seen a dog throw a tennis ball very well though.

You are welcome.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member

Dog food runs anywhere from $30-45/mo for each of my dogs. I own two Belgians and a Dutch shepherd, they are high energy, high drive performance breeds, and I compete with them so I need them to be on a better than average diet. Surprisingly enough, Costco carries some good dog foods that are very reasonably priced.

My older two dogs are loose in the back of my house, which is about 1/4 of the house. The puppy is in a dog crate. They all get exercised before work, and have at least an hour outside to romp in the yard. I have 1/2 acre fenced for them to run in, the fence is 7' high (they will get over anything lower). I try to get home at least once through the day to let the puppy out for a stretch and a pee. I am home immediately after work to let the puppy out, and let all three dogs have a romp and a stretch and play time. Depending on the evening, I may head out to the horses or not, at which time I need to have a tired puppy who will be willing to sleep in her crate again. If I do go riding, I know the puppy will need at least 2 to 3 hours of exercise and play time before bed.

Dogs absolutely should be house trained. My dogs are ALL house trained. They do not go indoors, and if they do, they are crated until they are re-house trained. It takes time, patience and persistence, but dogs easily will learn that eliminating indoors is not acceptable, and they can and will control themselves until they can be outside. The general rule of thumb is one hour per each month of life, so a 4 month old puppy can be expected to wait 4 hours maximum before needing to go out to eliminate. Your day must be planned accordingly, if you're going to have any kind of success with this.

Having said that, one of my older dogs was not reliably house trained as a young dog, and she is not reliable. She will not randomly eliminate in the house, but if she needs to go, she will. I have to make sure she goes out first thing in the morning, as well as out for at least 20 minutes after each meal, otherwise she will make a mess in the house at some point through the day. With management, she never makes a mess in the house.

No. This is something that they must be taught. Some dogs come by it more naturally than others, some will never play ball or frisbee. I have one of each, and one in between. The dog that doesn't play ball or chase frisbee is just as much fun and just as playful as the other two, she just doesn't want to carry things in her mouth. She will carry a dumb bell for formal obedience competitions, but she doesn't like it. She does it because I ask her to.

If you are looking and getting a dog for the first time, I'd suggest spending some time volunteering at the local humane society or a vet clinic, so you know what you're getting into. They are always grateful for the help, and you'll get a better understanding of what its like, and how to get along with a dog. Other things you need to consider are the cost of vet bills, including shots and spay/neuter in the first year, as well as puppy classes. If this is your first time owning a dog, I highly, highly recommend taking some kind of family dog classes with a good trainer.

Good luck! Research and learn all you can ahead of time, and you'll work your way through it all. I personally couldn't imagine my life without dogs, and enjoy every minute with them.
    Last edited by ElaineC; 09-18-2011 at 07:51 PM.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

I was playing around with the video on my phone and Harvey (the younger one) decided he wanted to play. He had just come in from "herding" a stability ball around the yard for about 20 minutes and was still wound up. So yeah, research before you adopt.

VID-20110919-00006.mp4 video by rainarana - Photobucket

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast