Thread: How to maximize the value of the Whole Foods Living Social voucher page

ennasirk is offline Senior Member

How to maximize the value of the Whole Foods Living Social voucher

Shop Now
    In my case, get lucky!

Last week, I purchased the Living Social voucher for $20 worth of stuff at Whole Foods. Because I referred to enough people, I got that for free.

So, today, I decided to use up the very-ripe melon I had by making Mark Bittman's tomato-melon gazpacho. Perfect for a warm late summer day! Since I needed a couple other things at WF, I walked down to the store (and got some exercise and Vitamin D in the process).

Of course, as soon as I get there, I'm sucked in by the Fermentation Festival event out front, where they're sampling all kinds of yummy fermented foods. Before I've even set foot in the store, I have two jars of sauerkraut in my basket! Already I'm thinking "there goes most of my $20 and I haven't even hit my list yet - of course this is exactly what they want - to get me in the store so I'll spend more money!"

Proceed to buy all the other stuff I needed (tomatoes, basil, bulk coconut, coconut oil, sea salt, a pound of ground pork) and check out.

One of the jars of kraut didn't have a bar code. Cashier asks me "Do you rememeber how much this cost?" I said, "No, they were sampling out front but I didn't see a price." The cashier consults her coworker, and between the two of them they decide that since it was from the event, I get it for free.

Grand total on the bill? $34.45. I figure the free sauerkraut was probably worth $8 or $9, so I managed to get $40+ of food for $14.45.
    Last edited by ennasirk; 09-18-2011 at 09:54 PM.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

spincycle is offline Senior Member
    I love a bargain!! I got the same voucher (paid for mine though), I'll be using it on grass fed beef. I'm a super couponer, so I'm always looking for ways to buy quality food at a reasonable price, I'm jealous of your deal!

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    You must be a fellow Oaklander! I was so upset that I couldn't get one of those vouchers before they sold out. Can you believe that 1,000,000 of them sold? I saw the "fermentation festival" on the way home from church today.

To stretch your dollar at Whole Foods in general, visit the website and print out the coupons. There are new coupons every month. Some are better than others, but you can hang onto them for a while until an item goes on sale.

Another strategy is to "like" Whole Foods on Facebook, that way you hear about whatever the Friday sale item is.

Or you could go buy your fill of coconut water. VitaCoco is 2 for $7 and one of the canned varieties is 99 cents. This will probably go away on Wednesday.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by katiethepiano View Post
    Another strategy is to "like" Whole Foods on Facebook, that way you hear about whatever the Friday sale item is.
    Yes! I've gotten some great deals that way. I'm bummed that last Friday I was crazy-busy and couldn't get by for the heirloom tomatoes at $1.99/lb. My favorite is when they put the rotisserie chicken on sale for $5.00.
    "Sometimes, you need to make sure the angel on your shoulder has a wingman." -Me

My primal log

katiethepiano is offline Senior Member
    During the summer, they had the Early Bird Specials, where if you printed the coupon off Facebook and went to Whole Foods between 8-11am on Saturday morning there would be something for crazy cheap. They had grass-fed ground beef for $1.99 a lb one day. I was completely floored. I bought as much as I could. They also had 30% off wine another day. I wish they would bring that back for the whole year.

Just so you know, heirloom tomatoes have been $2.00 a lb at the Grand Lake Farmer's Market. Look for the stand that sells the crazy massive peaches and you'll find them sold there. They're usually near the vendor that sells the smoked fish.
    Visit my blog Primal Homeskillet. And eat it too.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Wow, win on the free stuff from outside, but I think you'll get your money's worth once you try to open the coconuts =x

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Wow, win on the free stuff from outside, but I think you'll get your money's worth once you try to open the coconuts =x
    Oops should have been more clear .... shredded unsweetened cocunut from the bulk bins.

My primal log

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ennasirk View Post
    Oops should have been more clear .... shredded unsweetened cocunut from the bulk bins.
    Oh, in that case, you win period