Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 50

Thread: Primal Birth Control page 3

  1. #21
    robf's Avatar
    robf is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NB Canada
    Posts
    58
    Primal Fuel
    VASECTOMY.

    Takes 15 minutes, a few days off and taking easy and about 2 weeks later you are good to go. I guess it is pretty primal as it only uses ( how it looked to me from my angle) a scalpel, a knitting needle like thing, a wood burning tool and a small stitch on either side. Of course there is the chance it could reverse itself so you might to get tested for swimmers every so often.

    This avoids having women taking hormonal drugs, relying on condoms, or relying on the very dubious withdrawal "method".

  2. #22
    Kane Augustus's Avatar
    Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Whitehorse, YT
    Posts
    107
    Well, umm, in actuality, if we're after any kind of stone-age replication here, there were no forms of birth control in the paleolithic era. I mean, other than abstinence, that is.

    So, enjoying the primal/paleo lifestyle for fitness and nutrition doesn't entail having to avoid helpful technologies like condoms. I personally use Naturalamb because I don't enjoy latex or polyurethane; that, and they drastically reduce the numbing effect of typical condoms. Or, stated differently, they allow for a much greater degree of sensitivity during intercourse.

  3. #23
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane Augustus View Post
    Well, umm, in actuality, if we're after any kind of stone-age replication here, there were no forms of birth control in the paleolithic era. I mean, other than abstinence, that is.
    And anal

    I'm sure that the African tribes who apparently practiced birth spacing prior to Europeans arrived (with their schmancy treatments for common childbirth issues due to a lack of adequate maternal nutrition as a result of subsequent children being born to closely to the elder siblings), oh and catholics around the world...

    Because apparently sodomy is less of a sin than using contraception, or is it just that they're less likely to get caught

  4. #24
    Corvidae's Avatar
    Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    723
    If you've already had kids then a copper IUD is a great option. I have *not* had kids but I recently got one, after almost ten years of HBC (yes it is possible, its just a lot more difficult which is why doctors dont like doing it or even admitting that its an option). I was crampy for a few days, and so far my periods have been heavier (been two months) but besides that its been great.

    (Although, I will say, the reason I went on HBC in the first place was because of hormonal imbalances giving me excessive dark body hair and acne. Luckily my acne has been cleared away with primal, but I was just noticing this morning that Im getting the dark stray facial hairs again. Le sigh. Well, my unshorn cavewoman ancestors probably would be proud.)
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

    My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

    Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

  5. #25
    Raen's Avatar
    Raen is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    93
    Perfect use for the withdrawal method is nearly as good as perfect use of condoms at preventing pregnancy. I've always wondered why it is such a mocked method of birth control. My husband and I used it for 4 years when we first got together, having sex at least once a day every day, and never once had an "accident." Never got pregnant.
    http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journ...79-407-410.pdf
    If the male partner withdraws before ejaculation every time a couple has vaginal intercourse, about 4% of couples will become pregnant over the course of a year [2]. However, more realistic estimates of typical use indicate that about 18% of couples will become pregnant in a year using withdrawal [3]. These rates are only slightly less effective than male condoms, which have perfect- and typical-use failure rates of 2% and 17%1, respectively [3].

  6. #26
    Corvidae's Avatar
    Corvidae is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    723
    My consternation with the withdrawal method is that 1) it is theoretically possible for stray sperm to be in pre-ejaculatory fluid and 2) it is NOT effective at preventing the spread of STDs (and yes I have known people who have used withdrawal as their primary birth control even while not in a tested, monogamous relationship. Yargle.)
    "Since going primal, I've found that there are very few problems that cannot be solved with butter and/or bacon fat."

    My amusing take on paleo-blogging: http://whatshouldwecallpaleolife.tumblr.com/

    Are you a Primal in San Francisco, or the SF Bay Area in general? Join our facebook group!

  7. #27
    drssgchic's Avatar
    drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,371
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane Augustus View Post
    Well, umm, in actuality, if we're after any kind of stone-age replication here, there were no forms of birth control in the paleolithic era. I mean, other than abstinence, that is.
    Call me argumentative, but I disagree with this statement. I have no doubt that women have been working to control their reproduction as long as they have been sufficiently concious to want to. I am willing to bet that a lot of the "rhythm" methods are a lot older than we might think. They would have also known about abortifacients at the very least, if not other things that would affect their fertility. Is it what we use now? No. Was it potentially dangerous? Yes. But women like sex, too- and we don't always need a little Grok out of the deal.

  8. #28
    Kane Augustus's Avatar
    Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Whitehorse, YT
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    Call me argumentative, but I disagree with this statement. I have no doubt that women have been working to control their reproduction as long as they have been sufficiently concious to want to. I am willing to bet that a lot of the "rhythm" methods are a lot older than we might think. They would have also known about abortifacients at the very least, if not other things that would affect their fertility. Is it what we use now? No. Was it potentially dangerous? Yes. But women like sex, too- and we don't always need a little Grok out of the deal.
    You don't need to be called argumentative because you disagree. I'm quite happy with other people's disagreement with my understandings: it gives me an opportunity to learn.

    In any case, it seems we're talking about two different things:

    1. The available technologies to curb potential pregnancies (condoms, IUDs, injections, etc.); and
    2. Human enjoyment of sex without the desire for pregnancy.

    I was specifically commenting to the first issue. You rightly took up the second issue. So, when we look back in time toward the paleolithic era, you are right to say that women probably encouraged each other and their respective partners toward some kinds of rhythm methods, perhaps even coitus interruptus, and specifically for the purpose of enjoying sexual fulfillment without the result of pregnancy.

    So, far from being argumentative, thank you for pointing these things out. Your comment helped me to clarify my original comment, which when I look back at it wasn't clear: I had included 'abstinence' while attempting to address technological availabilities during the stone-age. That was my mix-up, and you were right to pick up on it and disagree.

  9. #29
    drssgchic's Avatar
    drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,371
    You are right. We do have a lot more technologies for it now. But I wouldn't discount herbal remedies when they were needed.

  10. #30
    Kane Augustus's Avatar
    Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Whitehorse, YT
    Posts
    107
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    And anal
    Yeah, that's one way of avoiding pregnancy! Though, I have to say, I've never been interested in that, and currently have no desire to participate in anything like that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Because apparently sodomy is less of a sin than using contraception, or is it just that they're less likely to get caught
    Don't even get me started on the unfettered madness that is the Catholic church. Their doctrines about sexuality comprise some of the most contradictory, oppressive and, frankly, maniacal statements to have ever been penned. Elaine Pagels, however, has an excellent and thorough-going examination of the issues of sex and Christian politics in her book Adam, Eve, and the Serpent: Sex and Politics in Early Christianity.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •