Thread: Tell me what to do with this meat! page

sjmc is offline Senior Member

Tell me what to do with this meat!

Shop Now
    Hey guys,

I bought a pork shoulder steak at the farmer's market yesterday. The description I think said "good on the grill or for smaller portions of pulled pork." (1) Can I cook it like a steak? (2) How would I make pulled pork?

Thanks!

MvEssen is offline Senior Member
    You can cook it like a steak, watch that it is cooked-trough though. Can't eat it raw like a steak :P.
    You can make pulled pork by slow cooking it for 6+ hours on low.
    I usually just put some herbs and spices on and bake.

Poopers is offline Member
    For pulled pork you just cook like a regular beef roast. Slow cooker for a few hours then pull apart.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Pork shoulder is I think my favorite cut of pork, except for bacon of course. It has a much richer flavour, and I find it more tender and forgiving than loin chops which go dry easily. I usually throw it under the grill in the oven, turn it when it looks nice and brown and is hissing and spitting, and cook the other side to the same point. I'll mix together some applesauce and horseradish for some zip, and throw that on top.

For a shoulder roast, I'll put it in the slow cooker, with the cooker packed with rough cut onions all around it. Toss some BBQ sauce on top, and let it cook for several hours. It will pull apart with a fork, and is delicious.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    OH boy I'm excited for this either way. Thanks for the responses.

I'd like to do it pulled style... Is there a way to replicate crock-pot cooking with basic cookware? No one I live with is a big meat-eater (and I haven't seen any of them eat red meat), so I'd rather not ask if I can stick pork in the rice cooker.

Side question-- I was looking up recipes, is pork shoulder very similar to the butt?

I'd like to do it pulled style... Is there a way to replicate crock-pot cooking with basic cookware?
    Get a big stockpot.
    Add some oil (just enough to lightly coat the bottom), onion, and garlic to the bottom of the pot.
    Add your meat to the party.
    Then add some liquid of choice. Beer, ginger ale, chicken stock, broth, whatever. I say go with a ratio of 1 cup liquid to about 2-3 lbs meat. If it doesn't look like enough liquid at first, add more after about 1-2 hours of cooking. Don't cover your meat in liquid though or else it will get a weird soggy texture.
    Cover and cook for about 10-12 hours on medium-low heat. Check every hour or so, give your meat a poke, and add some liquid if needed. Turn your meat if you smell or see any scorching or uneven browning later in the cooking process (which can happen due to uneven heat distribution on stove burners).
    Once your meat has reached optimal doneness, remove it from the pot and shred it. (If your meat is tough or doesn't come apart easily (shouldn't require much force to tear it apart) return it to the pot, add some liquid and kick up the heat a tiny bit until it's done.)
    Once shredded, return it to the pot for another 3-5 hours (maybe longer depending on your stove).
    When done, drain the meat (save the "juice" for stew or something) and mix in some primal bbq sauce.
    Eat! Makes a great portable lunch and it freezes well if you drain and store it in airtight plastic bags.
    I was looking up recipes, is pork shoulder very similar to the butt?
    Yes, both the shoulder and butt are fatty cuts of meat that hold up well during long term cooking processes.

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    My favorite way to cook it is to put it in the crock pot with onions, garlic, and green chili. Salt and pepper. Maybe a little water. Then slow cook it all day or night. Pork shoulder goes really well with green chili.

amieable is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If they are truly pork steaks, thinner slices of a pork shoulder roast/pork butt, then a great way to cook them is to put some kind of rub on them, and refrigerate for 2-24 hours. Fire up your grill and cook them indirectly (either push the coals to one side and cook the steaks on the other, or if it's gas, turn off the burner on one side and cook on that) until they are done all the way through. I usually turn them once every 5-10 minutes depending on how hot the fire is (the hotter it is, the more frequently I turn them) for about 45 minutes. The last couple of turns, if you have a primal BBQ sauce, you can brush them with sauce, or brush them when they come off, but do not brush them with BBQ sauce throughout...it will carmelize and the steaks will taste burned. The rub will impart sufficient flavor into the meat, the sauce is to keep them tasting moist and to add an extra punch of flavor.

Pork steaks are, for whatever reason, a big St. Louis thing, and I learned to cook them from my St. Louis-native husband.
    We are indeed much more than what we eat, but what we eat can nevertheless help us to be much more than what we are. -Adelle Davis