Thread: Paleo and Pregnancy page

Barbie is offline Junior Member

Paleo and Pregnancy

Primal Fuel
    My daughter is in the first trimester of her first pregnancy. Are there any suggestions of what she can snack on besides traditional crackers to keep the nausea at bay?

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Congrats to the family!

Here's a guest post I wrote on Primal Pregnancy that may be helpful:
    Is It Healthy to Live a Primal Lifestyle While Pregnant? | Primal Toad

If you do a search on the forum for pregnancy, there are a fair number of threads on the topic, as well.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Also, see the latest Underground Wellnness podcast with Chris Kresser:

iTunes - Podcasts - Underground Wellness | Blog Talk Radio Feed by Underground Wellness

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member
    Hi Barbie, I'm 16 weeks now, and still get nauseous! I snack on almonds, macadamia nuts, anything crunchy and a little carby. Laughing Giraffe makes a coconut "snackaroon" that's perfect for on-the-go, but I bet you could make something similar at home. Ginger really helps - ginger tea, natural ginger ale (look for Reed's, it's made with apple juice/sparkling water and no sugar) or ginger + b6 supplements.

The trick is to get something in your stomach as soon as you wake up... sometimes I've eaten in bed! Otherwise you're in for it bad. And eat small meals and snacks throughout the day to keep your stomach from emptying... My nausea ended up as hyperemesis, so I'm now on medication, but still using primal strategies to help.

Finally, it's okay if your daughter needs to break primal once in a while. I've given in to Rice Krispies. The baby and I are still alive and well! Sometimes when you're sick you've just got to eat whatever you can keep in your stomach.

Dino Babe is offline Junior Member
    I found sour things to help. Grapefruit, or lemon juice in water is what I found most helpful. Congrats to your family!
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes." - Oscar Wilde

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

"Forever is composed of nows" - Emily Dickinson

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I say: eat what works! For me, it was a few weeks of bread and cereal. I couldn't find any paleo foods that helped with the nausea. I also found that low carb did NOT work for me...make me feel super sick by the end of the day. I added more fruit as well as rice and potato back into the rotation and feel SOOOOOOOOOO much better.

And, as Hailey says, eating as soon as I got up really helped as well. And I used to be a daily breakfast skipper!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dry almonds were my favorite. And, never skipping breakfast!