Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you eat cooked chicken 7 days later? page

Angieh is offline Senior Member

Would you eat cooked chicken 7 days later?

Shop Now
    We had dinner at my parents' last Sat. night (one week ago), and they sent us home with a large serving of chicken parmesan (primal because it has no breading, etc.). We stuck it in the far back of the fridge which is colder (not frozen though) than rest of fridge and forgot about it.

We want to eat it for dinner tonight. It looks fine (not slimy or weird in any way) and SMELLS fine.

I googled it and got 4 days, but is that overzealous?

Would you eat it?

Thanks!!!

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    No I would not eat it but then again my sister would. She thinks I'm nuts.

It also means that we hardly ever waste anything since she'll eat if I won't.

Angieh is offline Senior Member
    I decided to toss it, but I feel SO wasteful. I feel pretty certain it's FINE, but I don't want to risk the possibility it could be bad. Ugh. Wish I had remembered it a few days ago. Thanks.

Also, I often cook a lot of chicken on a Sunday and take it for lunches all week (M-F). Have never been sick yet from that. But maybe a whole 7 days is too long.

peril is offline Senior Member
    I'll eat anything that passes the sniff test
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    I would have tossed it too. Seven days seems a long time for unfrozen cooked chicken, no matter how it smells.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    No
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

judoka is offline Member
    I would have, but I've been told I have an iron stomach (which incidentally I think is because I take overzealous food safety warnings with a grain of salt). If Grok thought something smelled fine I'm sure he would have eaten it.....

davem is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't eat it, but you toss after 3 days in a professional kitchen.

Eat it, you'll either be fine, or shitting up a storm. YMMV. It will definitely be a lesson for next time.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    I roasted a chicken, and was in the same dilemma. It smelled fine, it looked fine, it wasn't slimey at all. Then, I cut into it. NOT fine. Like, really not ok. I'd be worried that the ok-ness of your chicken would be masked by what was on it. I felt so wasteful as well, but its not worth getting sick over.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I've eaten rotten food plenty. If you rubbed it into an open wound, expect trouble. But if you're just eating it, probably not an issue. Unless you're my brother-in-law. He can leave a hotdog out for a few hours and it gets him food poisoning!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast