Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carbs: Too Many, Too Little, Or Something Else? page 3

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    @Beachrat

^The ham I'm getting is from the store, but it's as organic and natural as it gets (the cost sure seems to say that anyway) and yeah, it's not a lot-it really isn't a lot. But yesterday I had some steak too because I was hungry-knocked it out pretty fast-and had an egg for lunch today. I don't know if I'm necessarily starving myself to lose weight, but it's a concern of mine simply because I'm been bloating up in weight the last 11 years of my life and, for the first time in a long time, I'm not gaining weight-this excites me and enthuses me. So I'll agree, I may not be interpreting the signals right in my head because I've been misinterpreting them for so long with the SAD.

I try to eat dinner, but usually it's wasted food-wasted food costs money and frankly, not rolling in that right now, lol. But thanks for the advice and words of encouragement.

@Shannon

Yeah, I hardly eat anything, but I was never a big eater even back on the SAD-it was more a convenience "I'm bored, let's grab a snack" thing. As a kid, I was hardly ever bored-I was involved in all kinds of sports/activities and such and that really kept me away from the kitchen. But 11 years back my family moved and where we moved to there wasn't a lot going on as far as activities for kids and such-so there wasn't much for me to do but sit down and watch TV, snack on food, and become part of the American epidemic.

Of course, I'm not a kid now-I'm 22, going on 23 in less than a month, and everything has changed since that time. Maybe it's just me falling back into an old habit, a good one, but still an old one-one that is likely outdated.

Congrats on the pregnancy too-boy, girl, or waiting for it to be a surprise?

Thanks for the response.

@SteaknChop

Yeah, listening to the signals is tough for me, but I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks for the response.

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    @Shannon

Yeah, I hardly eat anything, but I was never a big eater even back on the SAD-it was more a convenience "I'm bored, let's grab a snack" thing. As a kid, I was hardly ever bored-I was involved in all kinds of sports/activities and such and that really kept me away from the kitchen. But 11 years back my family moved and where we moved to there wasn't a lot going on as far as activities for kids and such-so there wasn't much for me to do but sit down and watch TV, snack on food, and become part of the American epidemic.

Of course, I'm not a kid now-I'm 22, going on 23 in less than a month, and everything has changed since that time. Maybe it's just me falling back into an old habit, a good one, but still an old one-one that is likely outdated.

Congrats on the pregnancy too-boy, girl, or waiting for it to be a surprise?

Thanks for the response.
    Too early to find out what the baby is, thanks for asking, though!

I have a feeling something is jacked up with your metabolism. You are not eating much at all. It would be one thing if you ate a huge meal and then didn't eat for the rest of the day. But you're eating a small amount. I am worried what might happen is that this might be psychological -- whereby you think you shouldn't be hungry and, in essence, you convince yourself that you're not. I also have a friend who would say she wasn't hungry for weeks. When it came down to it, she knew she was obese and didn't feel worthy to eat food (as illogical as it is). What she didn't understand was that her body still needed nourishment, whether obese or not. (And I understand obesity -- I was once 365 pounds myself...now around 240, so still struggling with it).

What will likely happen at a certain point is that your true hunger is going to come roaring back hardcore. And you're going to have to watch what you eat because you might want to eat anything in sight. But by then your metabolism will probably be lower due to eating very few calories, so you might experience some regain. Our body is designed for survival. Starving it isn't conducive to survival so it will use all mechanisms to survive, overriding even the strongest psychological desire not to eat. I mean, seriously, what 365 pound person (previously me) would want to be 365 pounds? Of course I wanted NOT to eat. But that psychological desire was easily overcome by survival mechanism.

What I'm trying to say is this: having a new way of life and eating is just that -- a new way. Eating this way will make you healthier if you approach it in a healthy way. If you previously didn't eating healthy or felt like you weren't eating much, maybe now is the time to consider that it wasn't really the amount of food you were eating, but the type (especially gluten). After reading Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis, I realize how incredibly terrible gluten is. I mean, I've been gluten free, and knew I was feeling better for it. But then I noticed I had two slices of sourdough bread and was really hungry the rest of the day. Since reading that book, I know why! You eat about 300-400 less calories on a gluten free diet and feel more satisfied because your hunger level isn't being driven up by wheat. So, your reduction in hunger is expected. But there comes a point to realize that you really need to take care of yourself with adequate protein and fat.

Shannon

p.s. Good to see you ate a steak and egg! Also, sorry this is so long. I have a free day on my surgical rotation (PA student) and have nothing to do.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonPA-S View Post
    Too early to find out what the baby is, thanks for asking, though!

I have a feeling something is jacked up with your metabolism. You are not eating much at all. It would be one thing if you ate a huge meal and then didn't eat for the rest of the day. But you're eating a small amount. I am worried what might happen is that this might be psychological -- whereby you think you shouldn't be hungry and, in essence, you convince yourself that you're not. I also have a friend who would say she wasn't hungry for weeks. When it came down to it, she knew she was obese and didn't feel worthy to eat food (as illogical as it is). What she didn't understand was that her body still needed nourishment, whether obese or not. (And I understand obesity -- I was once 365 pounds myself...now around 240, so still struggling with it).

What will likely happen at a certain point is that your true hunger is going to come roaring back hardcore. And you're going to have to watch what you eat because you might want to eat anything in sight. But by then your metabolism will probably be lower due to eating very few calories, so you might experience some regain. Our body is designed for survival. Starving it isn't conducive to survival so it will use all mechanisms to survive, overriding even the strongest psychological desire not to eat. I mean, seriously, what 365 pound person (previously me) would want to be 365 pounds? Of course I wanted NOT to eat. But that psychological desire was easily overcome by survival mechanism.

What I'm trying to say is this: having a new way of life and eating is just that -- a new way. Eating this way will make you healthier if you approach it in a healthy way. If you previously didn't eating healthy or felt like you weren't eating much, maybe now is the time to consider that it wasn't really the amount of food you were eating, but the type (especially gluten). After reading Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis, I realize how incredibly terrible gluten is. I mean, I've been gluten free, and knew I was feeling better for it. But then I noticed I had two slices of sourdough bread and was really hungry the rest of the day. Since reading that book, I know why! You eat about 300-400 less calories on a gluten free diet and feel more satisfied because your hunger level isn't being driven up by wheat. So, your reduction in hunger is expected. But there comes a point to realize that you really need to take care of yourself with adequate protein and fat.

Shannon

p.s. Good to see you ate a steak and egg! Also, sorry this is so long. I have a free day on my surgical rotation (PA student) and have nothing to do.
    I love long responses, details please me to no end. Congrats on the weight loss as well.

Your argument is essentially the one I'm having with myself. Being a big guy for the last 11 years takes a serious toll on one's self confidence and more than that, I was pretty convinced that was the way I was meant to be-I had tried in summers past to workout daily, eat well, and generally make smart choices, but the weight wouldn't come off and after a few weeks, I fell off the bandwagon and never got back on. So, this attitude of mine of "Well, it's just how it's supposed to be" was pretty prevalent for years and now...well now it's kinda a world breaker, brain bender, and everything in between-I don't have to be fat and I can change it.

This was a huge revelation for me as I imagine it was for other people when they went Primal. Now I'm dealing with a whole new reality where I can be whatever size I want if I eat right and exercise (the exercise seems to be required for me-sitting around and doing nothing results in little weight loss). On one hand, this is great-I have a new lease on life, so to speak, and things I had previously thought unachievable now seem not entirely impossible.

On the other hand, this isn't so great and that's generally because I'm a person of extremes, in some respect. I'm doggedly determined about getting things done, stubborn to no end, and-as K pointed out to me last night-I have a very "black and white" attitude about my weight loss. I view things in a "victory or defeat" mindset and that's not always the greatest thing. The mindset has, in the past, resulted in some awkward situations to say the least. Combine all that with the fact that I'm great at convincing myself of things-something previously apparent back when I was on the SAD-and it's almost certain that I'm overreacting to my hunger.

My metabolism has not been my friend for over 11 years. It's slow, it's sad, and it doesn't like change. The workouts combined with the low carb intake has produced results. Results equal success. I've lost three pounds this week and I don't entirely see that as a success, but it's three pounds-I won't complain, it's more than one pound, more than two, less than five (which is the preferred number in my mind). People tell me that losing that much weight over the course of the week isn't sustainable and isn't healthy...maybe they're right. I don't know.

Should I just regiment myself to eat lunch and dinner most days unless I really, really don't want to? Do I need to have an intervention of sorts?

Thanks for the response. I need a psychologist, lol.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Woah, slow down! 5lbs/wk for any length of time is NOT GOOD. More like a cancer or ED warning sign.

I think it would be smart to build a menu that makes sure you get the basics(at least enough protein and cals, plus things like veggies) and eat that for a little while. Otherwise you risk some nasty possible outcomes.

Bernernewf is offline Member

Macros , diet help needed

I aim for about 1600-1800 caloriesca day on non workout days. 1800-2000 on workout days. I track and weigh my food. My macros that I try to stay with: protein 180 grams (1 g per pound of bw), carbs 40-60, fat is around 100 g, smetimes less.

Workouts consist of weightlifting 3 times per week, Tae Kwon Do two nights a week, and boxing usually once a week..

My weight just is not moving very fast, though visibly I look much better. But it should be showing on the scale. I'm 5' 4" woman, joined gym in June, started New Rules of Lifting for Women 3 months ago. During this whole journey, my scale has move down exactly 4 pounds, and half the time only two.

I've been eating clean for 3 months, and full primal two weeks.

Any suggestions??? It's getting sort of ridiculous, it should not be his hard to lose weight.

Cindy

Bernernewf is offline Member
    Goodness, that was supposed to be it's own post of mine. So sorry!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123