Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbs: Too Many, Too Little, Or Something Else? page 2

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Ride the wave until it dies. If you feel fine, no need to worry about it as long as you have your essential nutrition bases covered. Especially since you just started.

Personally, I only started eat more than 30g of carbs after 2.5 years (after losing 100lbs), and that was only because my squats and deadlifts became stagnant. A week after I added 1 small sweet potato a day into my diet, I broke all my PR's in the gym. However, I can feel my pants getting slightly tighter. So to me, it a fine balance.

pacificBeef is offline Senior Member
    I started going above 50g of carbs when I started to feel light headed after picking up my xbox controller too quickly.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Thanks chickenbackside and pacificBeef for the responses. I was really concerned about this and the answer you, and others, have provided have been gold to me. It's good to know I'm not doing something ultra-radical and crazy that could kill myself-it's a weight off my mind.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    If that's all you are eating, it's going to eventually catch up with you.

Zero-carb- what you are doing- killed my appetite dead, which I didn't know was possible. It got to the point where I had to force myself to eat. (It was also one of reasons I later added lots of carbs back in once I lost the fat I wanted to). Be careful, and make sure you are getting maintenance protein and enough fat to digest it.

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    I agree. Eating very low calorie can whack your thyroid and other hormones. It is fine to follow your appetite to a point, but if your appetite seems whacked compared with what your body needs, I would be careful.
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKC View Post
    I agree. Eating very low calorie can whack your thyroid and other hormones. It is fine to follow your appetite to a point, but if your appetite seems whacked compared with what your body needs, I would be careful.
    It's possible I'm getting to that point. I'm not sure. Thanks for the response JKC and Apex. I'll keep them in mind.

SteakNchop is offline Senior Member
    The lowered carbs aren't much of an issue and neither is the eating once a day. If you're starving yourself to lose weight, then obviously this is not going to work longterm. But if you aren't hungry, don't eat. When I say hungry, I'm talking about any desire to eat whether it is physically or mentally. Nobody should ever be in the position where they are about to do something and "Damn, I forgot to eat....I'm kinda full and I don't feel like eating but I guess I have to." Just eat until you don't feel like eating anymore and eat again when you feel like it. It couldn't be more simple.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekfan View Post
    Usually lunch is the only meal of my day and that consists of some slices of ham, cheese, and a bit of fruit/veggies. Thanks for the encouragement rc-feels good to know I'm not alone.
    Wellllll... I wasn't concerned until I saw this. But regular old sliced ham from the grocery store isn't likely to be primal (chock full of chemicals and other processed whatnot, usually). Some people eat cheese, some don't -- and it depends on the cheese. And fruits and veggies do include carbs, so you're not eating zero carbs.

If I were K, I'd rather see you eating a big juicy grass-fed burger, eggs cooked in bacon grease, liver, and veggies sautéed in coconut oil. Remember that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. It's about the nutrition, and giving your body the right signals to burn the fat you've been storing, so that your body composition changes over the long haul, for the long haul. (I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but forget about spot reducing. Enjoy the positive changes and the rest will reallocate eventually as long as you keep it up!)

While in general it's true that eating when hungry (and not when you're not) is the way to go, if I were K I'd be a bit concerned that you're not necessarily at the stage yet where you can differentiate between "Holy moley I'm losing weight finally, and so fast, I don't want to put anything in my mouth!" versus "I am honestly satiated and my body does not need any more nutrition for many hours."

I wouldn't worry about carbs, but I do think you might consider more centrally primal meats and fats (nutritional powerhouses), which I don't see you getting on that regimen.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

ShannonPA-S is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beachrat View Post
    Wellllll... I wasn't concerned until I saw this. But regular old sliced ham from the grocery store isn't likely to be primal (chock full of chemicals and other processed whatnot, usually). Some people eat cheese, some don't -- and it depends on the cheese. And fruits and veggies do include carbs, so you're not eating zero carbs.

If I were K, I'd rather see you eating a big juicy grass-fed burger, eggs cooked in bacon grease, liver, and veggies sautéed in coconut oil. Remember that this is a lifestyle change, not a diet. It's about the nutrition, and giving your body the right signals to burn the fat you've been storing, so that your body composition changes over the long haul, for the long haul. (I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but forget about spot reducing. Enjoy the positive changes and the rest will reallocate eventually as long as you keep it up!)

While in general it's true that eating when hungry (and not when you're not) is the way to go, if I were K I'd be a bit concerned that you're not necessarily at the stage yet where you can differentiate between "Holy moley I'm losing weight finally, and so fast, I don't want to put anything in my mouth!" versus "I am honestly satiated and my body does not need any more nutrition for many hours."

I wouldn't worry about carbs, but I do think you might consider more centrally primal meats and fats (nutritional powerhouses), which I don't see you getting on that regimen.
    I agree with this. I think you are not eating hardly anything based on what you wrote. If you said you ate a huge grassfed steak, a small yam, and a pile of broccoli, I might say, "hmm, not too bad...maybe his body is telling him not to eat." But you're eating less than I do for a snack!! Granted, I'm pregnant, but still! Your body needs nutrition.

Good luck in your endeavors and congratulations on the success thus far.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by beachrat View Post

This, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast