Thread: Crossfit & Paleo page

Jenn3307 is offline Junior Member

Crossfit & Paleo

I need opinions.
    So I started doing Crossfit a little over 2 months ago and I love it. I go 6 days a week every morning at 8:30am. The first 2 weeks were hard. I was sore, but I pushed on and the soreness went away and now I am pretty strong and can do just about any workout. When I started Crossfit I had about 30 pounds to lose. In the first month I only lost a pound but I lost 3 1/2 inches. My coach told me I would be building muscle and muscle weighs more so this was a good result. During the second month I found Paleo and decided it was exactly what I needed. So I went 100% Paleo with no cheating. I read all these stories about how people just dropped weight right away and with crossfit they lost even more, and so on. My husband also started Paleo with me but he does the 80/20. In the first two weeks, he lost 6 pounds. I lost 3. In week 3, it was time for my 2 month weigh-in/measure. I had lost 6 pounds and 3 more inches. He lost another 2 pounds. So doing 6 days of crossfit and 100% paleo I've lost 7 pounds and 6 inches in 2 months. I've weighed every morning since my last weigh-in, figuring I would at least lose a pound this week, but nothing. I'm the exact same weight as a week ago. It's so hard to know if I'm doing everything right b/c I don't have anyone around here to ask. I'm so glad to have found this forum and hope you can help me. My questions are:

1. I do not eat before I workout in the morning, but wonder if I should. Thoughts?
    2. Are these numbers typical? Or should I be seeing more weight loss? Is anyone doing Crossfit and experiencing this as well?
    3. I've adjusted my paleo diet b/c I think I may have had too many nuts and high sugar fruits in them, but how much does that really slow your weight loss?
    4. I keep reading mixed posts about eggs and meats, like bacon. One says limit your eggs, another says eggs are great, eat them everyday. Then I read to eat lean meat, and not bacon or sausage. Is this slowing my weight loss also?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts. Thanks

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    1. working out fasted is ok as your body uses fat to fuel it now....and from my understanding morning workouts fasted are good for you

2. if you have not really done much working out before crossfit...you are probably gaining much muscle. Just think about it, crossfit is very extreme and will make your body produce more testosterone....eating paleo does the same thing...add them up to a woman who does not have much to begin with and you get muscle...just look around to the female "fire breathers" in your box. Also if you have not worked out much before crossfit your body is responding in a big way by getting stronger and putting on the lbs. of muscle it takes to get stronger. Flooding the body with all of the good foods that paleo makes you eat I think helps build good solid hard muscle.

3. I say eat what you want. You probably don't have to worry about VLC diet because of the extreme nature of what you are doing. Just stay under 100g of carbs....and you probably are not even close to hitting that if you are 100% paleo

4. Eggs and Bacon are really good....I eat lots of both...even together....they make me happy and to me are one of the reasons to enjoy paleo

I have been stagnant for over a month now in the weight department....I also have kicked the working out way up as I work out with a pro who has really changed how I "lift heavy things"...I am getting way stronger and athletic over the past month. Oh it gets better though as my belt is getting still looser.....so I am not loosing weight but I am loosing excess fat that my body does not need and making lots of muscle at the same time.

Keep on with crossfit and paleo...take pics every month to get a visual...measure your parts that are fat and keep track of it.

It seems you are at the point now where the scale does not matter.....that is awesome!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Also, keep in mind that (unfair as it is) men generally have an easier time dropping fat than women, so don't compare your results to his or you'll get frustrated. Sounds like you're losing inches steadily, so don't worry about the scale--I do primal and Crossfit, and I've lost far more inches than I have pounds, to the point that people regularly guess my weight at about 20-25 pounds less than it is.

If eggs don't bother you, then don't worry about limiting them. They're good, relatively inexpensive animal protein. I often eat 3-4 at a time. Also, fat is proving to be important for recovery--it helps healing. Don't worry about eating lean meats if you're eating quality (grassfed) meats. If you can only afford cheaper, conventional meats, then yes, keep with leaner cuts but make up the fats with other good sources.

I wouldn't cut out all fruits. You need a lot of carbs if you're Crossfitting regularly. However, maybe keep them in the post-workout window and eat other carb sources the rest of the time. As for nuts, they can creep up on you quickly (it's easy to overeat them), and the O-6 ratio isn't ideal, so I try to use them more for flavour than as a major part of a meal (adding a few slivered almonds to spinach, rather than eating a handful of nuts, for example).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    there's a blog of a woman -- and batty talks about it a fair bit -- who weighs the same, but is a completely different size. i'll see if i can find the link -- or maybe someone else can?

anyway, in the story, the woman started at X weight and finished at the exact same weight, but went from a size 10 to a size 4.

focusing on inches and leanness will demonstrate for you how well your fitness is really coming along, rather than worrying about the scale.

it's not that muscle "weighs more than fat" -- a lb is a lb whether it's feathers or iron. It's just that a lb of iron is more dense (compact) than an lb of feathers. Consider a free weight that is a lb vs a feather pillow that weighs a lb! It's the same with fat and muscle. Fat takes up more space than muscle.

So, you are probably going through displacement. Fat is being burned, and you are gaining muscle, and therefore your weight isn't changing, but your INCHES are -- because the muscle is more compact than the fat.

keep up the good work!

Thanks so much! I do feel better having someone to talk to about this. I love eggs and eat them almost every day. I found a chart that tells you how many sugars are in what fruits so I will replace the fruit I was eating (which happened to be the highest ones) with lower sugar fruits. I do know what you mean about the nuts and eating more than a handful. I love making trail mix with them and probably eat more than I should at times. I did just read about the difference in men and women when losing weight so I will no longer compare myself to him. At this point I think I am going to change my goal from losing 30 pounds to a pants size instead. I think I will be losing the inches more than the weight like you said so I shouldn't have a weight goal and instead base it on what I look like. I have pretty big biceps (for a girl) in just 2 months so I know for a fact I'm building some muscle. It's just hard to see that nice bicep with the fat all around it lol
    Thanks!

I would love to read that blog! That is interesting! I was just looking at comparisons of fat and muscle and wow the muscles are so much smaller than fat. I'm no longer going to worry about weight.
    Last edited by Jenn3307; 09-17-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Size goals are way better. I have a couple of dresses I'd really like to wear again, so I use them as markers. I do fit one of my faves again, which I love.

For some good, woman-oriented stuff, you might also check out Stumptuous: stumptuous.com
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I also just go by size goals.

See this. Same weight, two very different bodies. I hope you will throw your scale away.
    Deb Update | Everyday Paleo

Nuts inhibit not only weight loss but also changes in body composition for me. I think it's because of the inflammation they cause.

Make sure you are getting LOTS of water. It's crucial for weight loss.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    yup~ that was the blog i meant -- the deb update one.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks so much everyone! That blog is awesome, thank you for posting a link to it.

TigerLily, my ankles stay swollen. I wasn't sure if it was from doing the crossfit or something else. I don't eat a lot of nuts but probably every few days I eat a handful or a little more. I think I will remove them for now and see what happens.

I do drink water, but I need to drink more.