Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Derby Girls Thread. . . page 8

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    heh, no.

primal roller-derby players (or wannabes like me anyway).

No Spammers on Derby Girl Thread. *hip check*

Our League final was last night and it was *awesome*. I have to say that the play was really impressive and a lot of fun to watch.

I was penalty timer again, which was awesome.

I'm hoping to learn more NSO stuff throughout the rest of the year (during inter-league play and tournaments), and then look into becoming an official in the new year.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    I passed my ground meat assessments last night. Really looking forward to being able to participate in scrimmages. I enjoy NSOing too - I was considering learning to be a ref

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if there was a derby thread, and here it is. I started at the end of April this year, and have only done my white star assessment (I think there are probably different assessments in different leagues so I dunno if this will make sense to everyone lol). Have to try to work up to 5 laps in a minute for yellow star (but even if I don't get it that's okay, as long as I counteract it with better stats in other things!!). As long as we get a high enough "average" score in all skills, we pass. I only managed to do 18 laps in 5 minutes on my white star test because I wanted to get good cross overs (and when I go faster my cross overs fail lol). I figured I was better off trying to score higher on the cross overs than get another point for speed (We need to get over 20 to get an "average" score at white star).

Anyways, it's all good . We had another intake of freshies the other day though, and some are really good skaters already, so those of us who are slightly more experienced freshies have our work cut out in order to stay ahead of the curve a little .

Unfortunately, there is no roller rink where I live (there was back in the 80s but it closed down) so we just practice in a gym. It DOES mean that it's harder to get recreational skating in. There's currently one free night a week BUT they're changing it into another training session (which is good in a way, cause we're only training once a week now at my level and we need MORE) but it'd be nice to have a free skate session too!!

As I'm learning I'd like to do more NSO stuff, but most of the need for it is Sunday afternoons before our freshie training (which finishes at 8.30) and that's the time I'm usually looking after my kids, cooking etc. and I'd have to be away all Sunday afternoon/evening, which is really hard when there's no one to look after the kids (well I trust them to a certain extent on their own, they range from 10-14) but I don't really expect them to make their own meal and clean up everything (or I don't expect them to do it WELL lol).

Anyway, sorry for the rambling . Nice to see some other derby girls on here!!

Yeah, I'm looking into ref-ing as well, though I'm going to get back into regular skating come this October and see how i feel in January. Looks like they're looking to do a Sept freshie intake, but I can't tell. I'm outta the loop!

I think that what I need is more communication about fresh meat. I was fine on assessments and would have been "scrimmage ready" but I wasn't emotionally ready for it. And, I was working too much (probably out of fear of having to scrimmage). LOL So, we'll see if I feel like going ref-route come January or if I want to go into the league normally.

I'd really like a casual/rec league and then ref-ing. That seems pretty ideal.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678