Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Derby Girls Thread. . . page 6

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The puking is usually lactic buildup from anaerobic exercise. Yoga and walking don't work that system at all, but sprints do
    That and just getting used to the workout since being on skates is an odd, unnatural thing =)

Practice was cancelled last week and I totally forgot about open skate on Sunday. Guess I'm going into assessments without having been on skates for a month =/
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    i find that the long-slow skating works no problem, but once we start doing fast/quick stuff (like falls and getting up), ti's sprint-like, and since i'm expending too much energy being inefficient, i'm using more than i know.

but, i'm sure it will get better.

Passed my assessments!
    Mostly I was worried about the 25 in 5, but I managed 27.5 laps after being off skates for a month =)
    I also aced the hand signals part of the writtens, hooray for flashcards

awesome. i've got the hand signals down, i practiced them with my own arms, which helped me learn. it's ilke muscle memory. and i'm still studying away.

i'm missing out on practice this saturday -- no child care and DH has an important meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    awesome. i've got the hand signals down, i practiced them with my own arms, which helped me learn. it's ilke muscle memory. and i'm still studying away.

i'm missing out on practice this saturday -- no child care and DH has an important meeting.
    I do that sometimes so I don't just memorize the person on my flashcard! There's a big difference between the picture in the rule book and when the refs are waving their arms at you

i've noticed that. Many of them are easy -- i recognize them from the bouts and understand the meaning from that. Others are a bit tougher.

i hope I do well on the test. And I'm still nervous about our first team training on Monday.

pulled back on derby this weekend. just decided it was too much, too soon.

first, i don't feel safe on skates yet. we should start league training tomorrow, with full contact and scrimmages. I am no where near ready for that. I also don't think I can make it through a full 2- hr practice yet.

second, i just don't have the time for practices, committee meetings, and everything else. It's just too much.

I need more time to learn the basics, and the casual skates that are related to the leagues can provide that space/time, and there's no commitment to it per se. I mean, if i have to skip one, then I have to skip one, you know? No big deal. But skipping a league practice is a pretty big deal. So, I can spend the year doing that -- just building skills.

I also still plan to do the NSO volunteering. I put my name in for that, so it should be no problem at all. That means I'll be committed to the bouts, but I'm ok with that because I go anyway.

Then, if things are different next year with kid, DH, and business -- if I feel I can make the commitment -- then I'll go through fresh meat again, but I'll feel better equipped to head into the league.

oh, and i passed the test. it wasn't that tough, really. i just realized that team training starting tomorrow, being full contact and all -- it wouldn't be good for me. and when I looked at our family schedule, i realized that I'd only see DH one evening a week, and as it is i feel like we hardly have any time together, so i just knew that i needed to draw back and be home more.

JLW1084 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Zoe. I thought your name looked familiar on here. i have seen you post on the Skatelog threads too. I did roller derby for a little while and it got to be too much for me physically and scheduling wise as well. I have alot of other things going on and derby is definitely a big committment as far as time goes. I love roller derby and the girls so I do the NSOing for my team too and im gonna volunteer for others as well. Its alot of fun Im glad to meet a fellow roller derbian!

Cool, JLW!

I've been doing the NSO thing for one bout now, and training up for the second bout on 19 May. PSYCHED!

Not sure what my gig will be then, but all good.

I haven't skated in ages, because business has been awesome/busy!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast