Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Derby Girls Thread. . . page 5

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    i'm supposedly signed up for fresh meat; I haven't heard back from them. so, hopefully!
    Yay! I'm sure you'll hear when the holidays are over. We have our assessments on January 4. Then i can't practice with the freshies anymore =(. I actually really like having the space to work on stuff. League practice just tends to be drill after drill without any feedback on whether you're doing something right or not.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    perhaps you could suggest a "skills practice?" or a section of practice that is about skill building?

first day of fresh meat today. I think I flagged somewhere around end of hour 2, just before finishing for the day.

i have a wonky hamstring, went into it exhausted (sleep isn't that great these days for some reasons), but did ok.

T-stops on both sides are great; snow plows went well, but i'm not making any noise yet from the skates. i struggle with my balance these days, but I think that's due to exhaustion.

looking forward to tomorrow. unfortunately, i can only skate two of the three days per week, as I can't make it to the tuesday evenings due to my work.

Our assessments are tomorrow and I haven't skated at all during the break!!!
    Mostly I'm worried about the WFTDA written test. I think the number of ref hand signals has doubled since I last took the test

i can't find descriptions of the hand signals yet. i'm sure it's on the WFTDA website somewhere.

oh, and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    i can't find descriptions of the hand signals yet. i'm sure it's on the WFTDA website somewhere.
    here it is, buried in the officials section. If you google it it comes right up
    "Grand Slam" has been changed to "pass point" and I don't really understand......... hopefully it's not on the test =D

thanks for the link. I'm supposed to learn the hand signals for illegal blocks.

our rules test is next sun, so i'd better get cracking on the old memorization!

i stink at balancing on my right leg, so i'm going to spend some time just working on that this week, too.

Pretty much got T-stops and plows in good working order, though -- at least on my left (using my right to stop) on the t-stop, and able to maintain the pace line ok, too. Good with shoulder blocks, stinky at hip blocks, doing ok with stepping left to right and right to left -- getting across the track laterally that is.

Feeling good overall. Food is fine. I don't get hungry until after practice, which is good. Practice is currently 12:30-2:30 Sa and 12-2 Su (I can't make the tuesday practice), and I try to have big breakfast as close to that as I can (say 10:30). It usually lasts all the way through with no problems. Once practice switches to Mon 7-9 pm and Thurs 7-9 pm, I'm going to have to figure out what I need to do.

Monday's won't be tough. Our schedule is such that I"m bringing Hawk home around 3, and can easily eat dinner with him around 5:30, and then start getting him toward bed. From there, DH will return (he'll be going to the gym Mon afternoons), and take over bed time duties and such while I head over to practice.

Thursday is trickier because I'll be at work. I'll be bringing in lunch for us, and then Ryan will take hawk home. I teach at 1:15, 3 and 5:30, which means that my prime eating time will be taken up with yoga class. So, I can either eat at 6:30 or eat at 4:30. And eating at 4:30 would be tough because I'd have to bring extra food to work (along with usual work gear, derby gear, and lunch gear. . . and on the BUS.

So, not sure how thursday is going to roll up, but I'm going to figure it out without using sandwiches. LOL

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    oh, and . . .i am outta shape.

i know i do my yoga (which has body weight stuff and works cardio nicely), and I do my sprints, and I walk around a lot (not as much as I used to, but still). Thing is, about an hour into practice, I think I'm going to puke.

Last Sunday, I didn't feel that way until the end of practice, but today, I felt that way after the first hour. It's nearly tragic.

Word from the girls is that it happens because it is energetic AND we are inefficient skaters (knew that already), so we are wasting a lot of energy as well. Their recommendation was to make sure we get endurance training, but also make sure that we do an extra cardio thingy.

I'm not sure that's the way I want to go (concerned about overtraining), and I can't' make the tuesday (endurance) practice anyway. So, i'm coming up with 1. a routine to do at work that will help build certain muscle groups (i have a few ideas in mind based on some skate drills that we did to learn things like stride, balance, cross overs, etc); and 2. trying to get another skate in once a week that is "casual" and likely out-of-doors so that I can get more practice just being on the skates. I figure if do 30 mins each, we'll be in good shape.

I wish I had a track that I simply had access to in the mid-day, as I'd go there and do my 25 in 5s -- since that's just sprinting -- and so that for 30 minutes, but I think a long-slow would be ok in the alternative.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast